U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 21,212 times

Advertisements

My family and I are possibly moving to Lexington from Texas (also having lived in Southern Califormia for many years) and would like some advice on neighborhoods and schools. We have 2 kids ages 9 and 12. Criteria important to us:
Excellent public schools
Safe, family friendly neighborhood (we like new houses but we also like trees). The ones that seem attractive to me are Beaumont, Chilesburg, Still Meadow, Ellerslie at Delong. Our current price limit is about $400,000. Could be higher.
Access to good extracurricular and educational activities (piano lessons, tennis, horseback riding lessons, museums, cultural diversity)

I have also looked into Georgetown but it may be a little too small and schools seem to be not as good (is this true?).

Are there any people out there who have moved from other states? I would really like to get general impressions, pros and cons of being in the Lexington area and Kentucky? Are you glad you moved?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
Well, I've always lived right around the bluegrass, but about 50% of my buyer-clients are people who move here from out of town.

It sounds like you have done your research well. Beaumont is kind of the default neighborhood of choice for the new to Lexington because the schools are good and it has a good location.

Chilesburg is a neighborhood, but a lot of people use it as a landmark....like saying something is "Out by Chilesburg." If you mean the neighborhood, I think for your price range it may not be a good fit. The houses range from about $130-300k While I do like it out there, you're only gonna see big trees if you get a lot that was on an old treeline. Stuart Hall is right next to it and is closer to your price range. It too is pretty new, so small trees. I did a video tour on my blog of Stuart Hall. The bad thing about Chilesburg and Stuart Hall is that you have a good elementary school right in the neighborhood, but neither neighborhood is in it's district?!!? Only the oldest section of Chilesburg goes to Athens-Chilesburg Elementary (A.C.E.)

Still Meadow is very nice. Small yards, but Jimmy Nash builds some nicely detailed houses. Still Meadow is in A.C.E. school district. If you want in that part of town, A.C.E. is the best elementary school.

Elerslie at Delong is very nice too. There are still a lot of vacant lots out there, so you have a little risk that the neighborhood may not be done for quite some time. Sales have been really slow out there.

Soooo, the best, most well rounded schools are in SW Lex (Clays Mill, Rosa Parks, Stonewall Elementaries/Jessie Clark & Beaumont Middle/Dunbar High. If you like older houses, you may want to get into Chevy Chase or Ashland Park. The Cassidy Elementary/Morton Middle/Henry Clay disctirct is a good combo. If you are leaning towards NE Lex (which it sounds like you are based on the neighborhoods you mentioned) you for sure want A.C.E/Hays Middle/Henry Clay High.

I live in Andover Hills, which is A.C.E./Hays/Henry Clay. The houses are $200-800k, with most being in the $225-375k range. The neighborhood is 10-18 years old now, so that means you get some mature trees and some dated finishes!! It is a great neighborhood, has weathered the market change well, and is really the best bet for this part of town.....Also has a piano teacher!

Georgetown is nice, but I would personally be nervous about buying a house in your price range out there. Houses in that range sell better in Lex.

I've got other neighborhood video tours on my blog if you want to check it out: Lexington Ky Real Estate Blog-Heavy on the "Real" Part

Sorry I wrote a book here :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Thanks very much for your input. You are welcome to write a book if you wish!

I just checked out Andover Hills and it looks like a very nice neighborhood. The only negative is that the houses are a little on the older side.

By the way, is it easy to get transferred to a different school. Ellerslie's Elem school is Tates Creek (poorly rated and much farther away). Would it be easy to ask for a transfer to A.C.E.??

Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 AM

891 posts, read 2,815,616 times
Going out of district is difficult to impossible. If a school has failed NCLB goals you can transfer but only to pre-determined schools. TC is considered a bit rough. Many people in that district choose private schools.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM

You may not like Beaumont that much if you thought Andover Hills was too old. I've sold 4 out there in the past year and have 3 buyers who have been looking out there too. Most are about 10-12 years old and are getting a little outdated now. Occasionally you can find an updated one, but you are going to need to spend around $500,000+ to get one of those.

Still Meadow may be a good bet for new/newer construction. Have you mapped the neighborhood to see how close it is to A.C.E. and Hays Middle? It is really close!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all your input. Is there any new construction/lots for sale in Beaumont? From reading more reviews on the schools, it does seem like Beaumont has the best public schools overall. I really like Andover Hills and Still Meadow but it seems like Henry Clay has some behavioral problems - of course, it may be isolated incidents.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM

There are a couple lots in Beaumont Sanctuary for sale for about $200k. Most the houses in Beaumont Sanctuary are $7-800k and up!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM

822 posts, read 2,741,196 times
lexpert is sending you in the right direction ... Hamburg/andover is SO appealing, but the schools are mixed/iffy. My generic advice would be to either (1) move to 40502 (near the university - Morton;Henry Clay, generally older); (2) move to SW lex (40513, etc.) (Beaumont;Dunbar), generally newish, but not brand new, or (3) pick private schools. That being said, a lot of teacher and schools are excellent, just not across the board, whatever ...

For new construction, you could consider Colony in 40504; Nicholasville (maybe private schools, I don't know the schools well enough); Hamburg potentially with private schools ... (you could fairly easily find something very nice below 400k).

Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 20,452 times
I just moved here from Texas as well!

I moved from Dallas, so I'm still trying to get used to the smaller city. Traffic is horrible because there are no major highways going through town. I'm trying to get used to the fact that there's not a whole lot to do here.

I don't have children, so am not sure about extra-curricular activities and schools. However if you need a nanny, tutor or piano teacher, I can help. We haven't checked out any local museums except for one in Cincinnati. As for cultural diversity, with UK being here, it's very much a melting pot culturally. UK also has a huge library and library system that is open to the public with student ID's.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 19,940 times
What is the ratio of ethnicity there? Have the mexicans made the majority? Many asians? Blacks? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or