Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about the condo situation downtown. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM

218 posts, read 636,965 times
Condos in the downtown area are generally aimed at the high end of the empty nester's and the middle of the young professionals. Most units are two bedroom and are located near the entertainment venues. There are few or no units for families.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,402 times
Default Condos, condos, condos

Well my wife and I are renting a 2bd/2br downtown and love it. We just moved to Lexington last month from Philadelphia. We are planning on buying in the next year but since we were moving from a major city wanted to get here and make an educated choice.
It seems to me that there are a lot of units on the market with more and more coming up into the pipeline. Our building currently feels more empty than occupied.
The Nunn building seems finished, the 500's are building another phase right now, the Mark Lofts are well underway, and so many others. (CenterCourt, Main and Rose, Kimball...)
Where you wondering about any of the buildings in particular?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
"Where you wondering about any of the buildings in particular?"

Yes, the Nunn and Main and Rose. We liked several of the units but what we fear is buying and getting stuck if we want to go back to Chicago in a few years; that perhaps things are overbuilt and there'll poor demand in the future. I don't care whether we make money or not but I fear taking a bath.

We (my wife and I, retired empty nesters) moved down here from Chicago (the city itself not the burbs) a couple of years ago and we have a house out by Hays but it's so boring out there; nowhere to walk to or ride a bike to---no stores, restaurants, coffee shops etc. You can walk or bike but no destinations, know what I mean? People just walk around in circles, no street life.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-04-2008 at 07:53 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 15,402 times
My wife and I are renting at Main and Rose. I am working on my PhD at UK. Since I am under a five year commitment here we were kind of thinking along the same lines about not buying, esp since I am not sure where we will live after I finish my degree.

Moving to Lex has been a big change for us. There are def things to do here and we always feel safe (which is a nice change from Philly) We lived here is Lex about five years ago during undergrad work and are very impressed with the changes that have occurred since we had been gone. We are def finding things to do and places to go which are within easy walking or biking distance. Some days though we really do miss big city life.

I have been wonder the same thing about the condo situation being overbuilt. At the same time I think the demographic they units are marketing towards maybe hasn't seen as much of a downturn as the rest of the market in general. I am by no means any kind of real estate expert....just my layman's thoughts.

Do though feel free to direct message me if you have any questions about the M&R building in particular.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,961 times
Hi, We may be moving to Lexington and were considering renting a townhome or Loft in the city. While there are a few websites, the information I am finding is a bit sketchy. If anyone has any really good websites or names of complexes to recommend, I would really appreciate it. We are empty nesters.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
In general across the country I think safe inner ring neighborhoods (roughly defined in lexington as inside new circle) and condo areas are going to outperform the real estate market as a whole the next several years. As long as the whole metro area is doing well economically and adding population (which Lexington is) then I think it would be a very safe investment if you're going to hold for more than 3 years or so. Across the country we're seeing renewed investment in the established areas of cities and a return to life for many previously declining neighborhoods. Add to that increasing gas prices and ever increasing commute times, people are seeing benefits to living in the city as opposed to living in the suburbs.

Some of the things UK is doing is really going to drive up demand for housing close to campus (and I don't mean just by undergraduates). As UK grows, more and more employees in the "creative class" will be hired are going to move to Lexington. They will preferentially look for housing near campus.

At least that was my reasoning on buying a house well inside new circle as opposed to out near Hamburg or some of the other new neighborhoods.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
There are more condos downtown for sale than there are buyers. That is why so many of the developers have opted to rent them. All the demand we heard about a few years ago (when they all seemed to break ground at once) turned out to be investors who thought they were the next big thing. I would not buy a condo downtown if I knew I would be selling at any point in the future. It is much cheaper to rent one than it is to buy one.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,778 times
Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about the condos at 105 S. Hanover off East Main in Lexington, KY? (i.e. Is it a safe place? What age groups are mainly there? Any amenities such as pool, weightroom, etc...?) I saw an ad for a 1 bdrm for rent utilities included for a good price, but wondered if there was a catch. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,778 times
Note for last post: I'm in my 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area