U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
You do realize you make Chicago look bad.

Not as bad as your ignorance of one of the glories of Western art and culture makes your programmer look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not as bad as your ignorance of one of the glories of Western art and culture makes your programmer look.
Sorry but I don't keep up with art stuff, I'll leave that to the ladies....

Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 AM

2,076 posts, read 6,167,918 times
Quote:
No doubt. Here's art you and InLondon may appreciate.

http://gorightly.files.wordpress.com...esus-elvis.jpg

You are simply one of the angry, disgruntled masses finding an outlet behind the safety of your keyboard. You think you are clever and unique but you are not. You add nothing to discussions other than negativity and conflict. Constructive criticism is a good thing on these boards but you simply insult and instigate.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You are simply one of the angry, disgruntled masses finding an outlet behind the safety of your keyboard. You think you are clever and unique but you are not. You add nothing to discussions other than negativity and conflict. Constructive criticism is a good thing on these boards but you simply insult and instigate.

You argue ad hominem. The points I've made about the failings of Lexington are IMO valid. If you want to argue those points do so. Failing to do so you attack my personality and even if your views of my personality are valid they have nothing to do with Lexington. Twice in this thread you've attacked me personally without rebutting my opinions on the faults of Lexington. I must assume you are unable to.

Calls for "constructive" criticism are often disguised callings for no criticism. If you don't want to read criticisms of Lexington I suggest you avoid threads titled "Tired of Lexington".

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-22-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Irishtom - why the hell did you ever move to Lexington? Do you regret not renting first to get a taste of the area - from your auction the house post?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Irishtom - why the hell did you ever move to Lexington? Do you regret not renting first to get a taste of the area - from your auction the house post?
Fair enough.

My parents moved to Lexington about 15 years ago and I spent a good deal of time there visiting. I liked Lexington and my wife and I decided to give Lexington and the laid back suburban lifestyle a try. So we bought a nice new house in the Chilesburg neighborhood.

For a couple of years things were swell; we enjoyed landscaping the place and hanging on the front porch. We bought a Saab convertible and enjoyed trips out into the country and down to Chattanooga and over to the North Carolina shore.

But after a couple of years we missed the bustle of a big city and I was also wearing grooves in I-65 coming up to Chicago to visit my four adult children. And the suburban type life was becoming very boring---nowhere to walk to (destinations as opposed to walking in circles in a subdivision) and riding my bike was limited by the town's roads and attitudes of the drivers. And we were getting sick to death of the UK sports business and other cultural issues.

We investigated moving to downtown Lexington but the condo scene was frightening and truth be told there's not much downtown either. So we sold the house and came back up here where life is much more to our taste.

Should we have rented to investigate? Maybe but most of the rental places in town are pretty shabby and cut off in concentration camp like developments and there's no way I would've enjoyed that. So we bought a nice house and when we tired sold it. We took a small hit but it's no big deal. Like I said; when it's time to go it's time to go.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

My parents moved to Lexington about 15 years ago and I spent a good deal of time there visiting. I liked Lexington and my wife and I decided to give Lexington and the laid back suburban lifestyle a try. So we bought a nice new house in the Chilesburg neighborhood.

For a couple of years things were swell; we enjoyed landscaping the place and hanging on the front porch. We bought a Saab convertible and enjoyed trips out into the country and down to Chattanooga and over to the North Carolina shore.

But after a couple of years we missed the bustle of a big city and I was also wearing grooves in I-65 coming up to Chicago to visit my four adult children. And the suburban type life was becoming very boring---nowhere to walk to (destinations as opposed to walking in circles in a subdivision) and riding my bike was limited by the town's roads and attitudes of the drivers. And we were getting sick to death of the UK sports business and other cultural issues.

We investigated moving to downtown Lexington but the condo scene was frightening and truth be told there's not much downtown either. So we sold the house and came back up here where life is much more to our taste.

Should we have rented to investigate? Maybe but most of the rental places in town are pretty shabby and cut off in concentration camp like developments and there's no way I would've enjoyed that. So we bought a nice house and when we tired sold it. We took a small hit but it's no big deal. Like I said; when it's time to go it's time to go.
And yet you keep coming back to the Lexington forum to blast Lexington for any reason possible. You were the one that made the mistake by moving to a city that wasn't big enough for you. You should have been aware of that before moving here. Lexington is not going to have all that's offered in Chicago, which should have been obvious to you. The only reason for that is because Lexington is much smaller.

What you don't see is that Lexington offers much more. You just don't realize it, too bad.

Last edited by InLondon; 08-22-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM

105 posts, read 177,988 times
IrishTom, we currently live in Northern Illinois - near Lake Geneva, WI. We've been thinking of moving to the Richmond/Berea area of KY. Do you have much experience with that area? We're not into sports (except our kids' softball team). Considering Eastern Kentucky Univ for the kids and want to move close enough so they won't have to commute. We're also looking at Tennessee (Kingsport) and South Carolina (Summerville or Upstate). Being a northerner (originally from PA), I'm afraid it's going to be a really huge change. Any comments?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
IrishTom, we currently live in Northern Illinois - near Lake Geneva, WI. We've been thinking of moving to the Richmond/Berea area of KY. Do you have much experience with that area? We're not into sports (except our kids' softball team). Considering Eastern Kentucky Univ for the kids and want to move close enough so they won't have to commute. We're also looking at Tennessee (Kingsport) and South Carolina (Summerville or Upstate). Being a northerner (originally from PA), I'm afraid it's going to be a really huge change. Any comments?
Uh oh, you're asking Tom for info about this region? Don't expect a good response. I know plenty of "Northerners" who live here and love it.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM

105 posts, read 177,988 times
InLondon, thanks - that's good to know. We visited Richmond and liked the area. Berea College was beautiful. Do you know if Madison Central and Southern are good schools (in Richmond). We also visited Georgetown - liked the downtown area, but not sure of the whole area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area