U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
InLondon, thanks - that's good to know. We visited Richmond and liked the area. Berea College was beautiful. Do you know if Madison Central and Southern are good schools (in Richmond). We also visited Georgetown - liked the downtown area, but not sure of the whole area.
I'm really not sure about Madison Central or Madison Southern but Model Lab School in Richmond is really good but it's a private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not much. Richmond seemed kind'a run down to me but Berea appeared prosperous and rather more liberal and diverse than other small towns in the area. We used to drive down to Berea to visit the shops and have lunch; nice enough town but I don't have a clue how it would be living there.

LOL, Richmond seemed "run down??" It's one of the fastest growing towns in the state, with lots of new stuff everywhere. East Main Street across the railroad tracks is kind of run down, but every town has those type areas.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You come to this board posting sweeping generalizations based on stereotypes of Kentuckians being a bunch of bible thumping, smoking, inbred rednecks and expect people to dispute your claims tit for tat? You make a few good points, but they are outnumbered and overshadowed by troll like rants. It isn't worth it, hopefully people with half a brain see through it and look to the more rational posts.

Lexington isn't perfect but it is a nice place to live if a person is looking for a small-medium sized city. I lived there for 7 years. It isn't Chicago, for all the good and bad that entails. I really like Chicago, I've been there 3 times, it is a great place to visit, however, I wouldn't want to live there. There are countless places all around the country full of perfectly nice people that simply aren't my cup of tea.
Darn it, I'm not able to rep you because I gave you a rep yesterday for another one of your posts.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You come to this board posting sweeping generalizations based on stereotypes of Kentuckians being a bunch of bible thumping, smoking, inbred rednecks and expect people to dispute your claims tit for tat?

You exaggerate. I never talked about smoking or inbreeding.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM

6,132 posts, read 7,470,859 times
If Chicago is so great, why does much of it's population head to Wisconsin or Michigan every weekend?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM

12 posts, read 11,081 times
We've been here less than a year and are quite happy. The criticisms are on target in some ways--drivers sometimes don't seem to understand that cyclists have legal rights to roads, too. We are to stay out of traffic as much as possible, but have the right to avoid hazards. For the most part, though, I have had no more trouble here than anywhere else bike commuting.

I am busy with family and job, so criticism about Lexington being a cultural backwater mean little to me. I couldn't take advantage of all the great stuff available when I lived in a major international city. I don't think it's a backwater, but judge your needs. We did our first ArtWalk (that might not be what it's called) recently and had a great time, with kids in tow.

We've moved twice recently, so our kids are experiencing their third elementary school. Their first school was an outlier in a small university town, but their current school is quite good with completely dedicated teachers. We'll stay for at least another year, and the kids have the option of several good magnet school programs unless they want to stay put.

Maybe because I've moved so much as an adult I don't expect fulfillment from a city, but the people here are friendly and I can get what I need when I need it. I'd be happy to stay if my work becomes long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area