Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM

62 posts, read 147,948 times

Advertisements

Lexington is a great city, I was born and raised here and I have much respect for our community. But, you hear alot of "Lexington is boring" or "lexington doesn't offer what other bigger cities do".

Now I know for a fact we won't be bringing any professional basketball teams (or other sports) to town any time soon (and they'd likely get beat by a Calipari squad anyways). Besides things such a pro sports, specifically what is Lexington missing?

Lexington has a great economy and is contastly growing and evolving. Adding shopping in Hamburg, innovative little ideas like Movie Tavern, redevelopment in parts of the city (Newtown and the proposed Manchester arts district), Hugh Jass/Pazzo's for college students, etc.

But what specifically could Lexington feasibly offer (again no pro sports or other unreasonable requests) to make the city better. There are many on here with big city experience that are familiar with Lex that could give perspective. I love the vibe in Lex, and do not want to somehow try to change the town into something its not -I like (as do many) the BIG town feel as opposed to a city feel, but it can admittedly get boring sometimes if you've spent your whole life here. I am looking for specific ideas as to what we could bring to Lexington to better the community. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
A real art museum would be nice. An indoor mini golf & a Gameworks would do extremely well in the winter.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Having just moved to Lexington a month and half ago, and have visited off and on for over 8 years, Lexington needs someone that understands traffic management. There are some areas of the city that the traffic light timing pattern must have been setup by a untrained monkey.

New Circle Road is great to use to get around the city unless you have to travel between Richmond Road and Boardwalk. New Circle Road should be a true ring road with no traffic lights. To bad if it upsets the current businesses in these areas, its for the better.

Other than that, I agree a Gameworks/Dave and Busters type of place would be nice. I am also selfish in this comment but I wish there was more live racing at Red Mile and Keeneland.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
A connector road from the SW suburbs to south I-75 is needed badly. Ideally I'd like to see a freeway added from the north I-75/64 split along the edge of the city, through northern Jessamine County, and meeting I-75 just south of the Athens exit. It currently takes over 1 hour to drive from Nicholasville to Richmond, two towns that are only 15 miles apart as a crow flies.

I'd like to see roundabouts replace some traffic signals on 2 lane city roads like Clays Mill, Wilson Downing, etc.

I think the skyline could use several more buildings that are at least as tall as the 5/3.

AND more traffic enforcement!! I've never been anywhere with less speed limit enforcement. It's like driving in the Wild West

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
A lot more roundabouts to replace 10 minute long red lights. (seems like 10 minutes anyway)

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
A lot more roundabouts to replace 10 minute long red lights. (seems like 10 minutes anyway)
YES!!!

When I first moved here, people would honk at me the instant the light turned green. I thought they were being extremely rude, but now I know it was just a courtesy honk to wake me up in case I had fallen asleep.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
---what does Lexington need--

A college football team that gets ranked in the top 10.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 AM

54 posts, read 125,117 times
A decent music scene that's not chock full of hipsters would be nice.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM

482 posts, read 844,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---what does lexington need--

a college football team that gets ranked in the top 10.
:d

Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM

127 posts, read 355,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitty13 View Post
A decent electronic music scene that's not chock full of blowouts would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area