Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 PM

103 posts, read 268,847 times

Advertisements

Got a job oppurtunity in Lexington and i dont know anything about the city. How is the crime,schools,cost of living, things to do and any other info i may need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 AM

914 posts, read 1,972,545 times
Crime: Safer than average for similarly sized cities. The "bad" areas of Lexington aren't big and aren't as "bad" as most cities of similar size.

Schools: Lexington public schools are really good. It's one of the few places where the city's public schools are better than the surrounding counties. There are good private schools as well. There's obiously a major research university in town, but there is also a highly regarded liberal arts school downtown, a seminary, and several surrounding liberal arts schools as well as a regional university in Richmond.

COL: Cheap. You can buy a 2000 sq foot house for $150,000 without too much difficulty.

I have lived in Lexington for a little over a year and most of my friends here have only lived here a couple years. Almost without exception everyone who has moved here that I am aware of really enjoys it here.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Any good fishing spots around Lexington what kind of things do they have to do

Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM

914 posts, read 1,972,545 times
I would be the least qualified person to comment on fishing spots. As far as stuff to do I think there's plenty. One of the things I do think you will want to do is embrace the activities of Lexington even though you may not be familiar with them. Lexington has major events all the time when it comes to the horse industry and UK athletics. If you're able to enjoy these two things then there is so much to do that you won't be able to do it all. About two months a year Keeneland races. The week leading up to the Derby is full of parties and galas and all sorts of stuff. You can tour horse farms around lexington. UK basketball is major. There are about 20 home games per year plus midnight madness, ESPN Gamedays, etc. UK football will have 8 games per year. You can tour Bourbon Distilleries around Lexington. UK regularly hosts music performances at the Singletary Center. There's a performing arts center downtown that hosts Broadway touring performances. Downtown has an indy movie theater (of course there are several mainstream ones around town as well). As far as museums go there's the Henry Clay estate, Mary Todd Lincoln House, Shaker Village in harrodsburg, the Horse Museum at the Horse Park. Rupp Arena regularly hosts concerts (a couple days ago the american idol finalist show was in town). There are numerous local restaurants downtown and around the city that offer a wide range of prices and styles.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 AM

Sounds perfect my wife loves horses and i love sports.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 AM

844 posts, read 2,093,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnkckr7 View Post
Sounds perfect my wife loves horses and i love sports.
You better! That' all there is to do around here. Horses & UK sports.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM

54 posts, read 124,658 times
In Lexington there aren't many fishing spots, Jacobson Park is about the only one that comes to mind. However, there are several lakes, ponds, and rivers that you can fish at that are only a short drive away.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 AM

187 posts, read 457,766 times
Lex is a pretty cool city...Very nice and clean city...I wouldn't worry about the crime there to much...I lived there for a year...Its a good place to raise a family as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area