U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,712 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are currently relocating to Lexington. I'm a So Cal native and he's a Floridian. We think we'll be living in Lexington for just about three years - so we want to find a house we can sell easily when the time comes!

Anyway, while considering all of our "wants and desires" for the house, we told our realtor that we want the house to be located in a good school district. He then told us that in Lexington, the districts get reassigned all the time and that you can live in a neighborhood that has a great school right across the street - but it's possible that the school isn't in your district. He said that basically a lot of people who are like us, with the amount of education we have, just end up sending their kids to private schools and have given up on the public schools. Essentially he doesn't think it matters for us to be concerned with the schools.

So, I guess I'm wondering, is this true? It seems pretty strange, but if it is, then that would open up more homes for us to look at.

Thanks so much for your advice!!!

Isa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
What kind of budget?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
News to me. I deal with a lot of professional people getting relocated here and I have only had 2 plan on sending their kids to private schools. Even if you don't use the school district you are in and opt for private schools, being in a good school district WILL help you sell your house quicker that if you bought in an average or poor performing one......Just look at the total population of private school kids compared to the total population of public school kids.....you'll see that most people haven't given up on public schools, so it will be a concern for those parents when they need to buy a house.

I'd still get in a good district unless you can be sure that the person that will be buying your house in 3 years uses your realtor as a buyer's agent ;-)

Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM

898 posts, read 1,667,125 times
Most people send their kids to public schools. Most cities Lexington's size have 2 or 3 times the number of kids in private schools when compared to Lexington. Part of the reason for that is that Lexington has a very good school district, with 3 or 4 of the high schools probably providing a better education and getting better results than any private school (possible exception being Sayre School which does very well in placement). I work at UK and can tell you that most of the PhD and MD kids are in public schools. Why spend more money on an equal or inferior school?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Thanks for your help, guys!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM

62 posts, read 137,902 times
In the circles I grew up in it is very much the norm to send your kids to private schools in Lexington. A lot of wealthier individuals who live on horse farms that have random school districts take this approach. My education was primarily private but I switched to Henry Clay for high school to get a fresh perspective outside of the private school bubble. Lexington is generally a very well educated city. I don't know the ages of your children but I would highly recommend Cassidy, Morton, Henry Clay (elementary, middle, and high school, respectively). Dunbar "magnet" program is good as well. Henry Clay was generally regarded as the best public high school, but "No Child Left Behind" brought a lot of "diversity" to the school. There is an academy program at Henry Clay as well that is like a school inside of a school and the individuals in the academy almost never interact with those in general classes - this I would recommend because you can earn AP credits that count as college credits. (Had a smart friend in the academy at Henry Clay who graduated with the equivalent of about a years worth of cellege credits under his belt.)

I would agree that Lexington has some really good public schools. And I will also concede, that for many, the cost of private school is not worth the benefits. But, having experienced both sides of the coin here in town I will say that I learned significantly more at The Lexington School than in my 4 years at Henry Clay and, in fact, I feel that my TLS education carried me well through college. School is what you make of it, your children can participate in the public school system and get a great education but they can also start hanging with the wrong crowd and neglect their education. One thing I would strongly consider is who your children will be befriending. I made life long friends that come from great families during my private school tenure; In public school I had fun and met interesting people but not too many that I have remained close with beyond that.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Thank you, Jaham! I'm sorry I took so long to reply, I own my own business and I've been having to commute back and forth to complete my contracts. My children are actually 24 months and to be born in November. I think we're just going to be here for three years, so for us, the school district doesn't really matter. I was purely thinking of this from a "possibility to resell quickly" point of view. :-) I do know that personally, my husband and I are planning on sending our children to private schools when they are old enough. We went to bilingual private christian schools when we were growing up and felt like we were years ahead of the public school kids when we'd end up going to public schools due to a move, etc.

Thanks again for your help! It's really helpful to hear the reasoning behind decisions people make!

Isa

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM

62 posts, read 137,902 times
Isabelazalia,

I could suggest some homes and specific areas if you would detail your price range, desired neighborhood feel, commute, other considerations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area