Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,619 times

Advertisements

Good morning to you all, As the title suggests, what areas of Fayette County would you suggest for my wife (30), daughter (3) and myself (34)? We currently live in London and, to be perfectly honest, I have had more than enough. The way the towns going to the dogs I really don't want my daughter growing up here. My wife feels the same as I do- definately time to up sticks and leave ( unfortunately she thinks Canada is the way forward- huzzah for snow and bloody great man eating bears). Budget-wise, I'm probably looking at $400,000 top whack- need to sell where I am, and keep some pennies in the bank for rainy day purposes. Interest-wise, I like anything out-doorsy; hunting, fishing, moto-x. She Who Must is more at home with spa days, pamper sessions and literature. Opposites attract, indeed We would both like somewhere out in the country to suit my fun factor, but close enough to a decent town so we don't get to freaked out by all the trees- coming from a city of 7 million souls, one gets used to people around... Obviously will need to sort visas or residence permits or whatever- will get our solicitor working on that- so this will not be an immediate thing, just after some ideas at this stage. Many thanks in advance for any constructive and/or helpful comments. Ttfn, J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,818,067 times
Have you ever seen the show from the 1960's called "Green Acres?" Your post remined me of that show since you want a country life and your wife wants a city life!

Lexington is more of a big town than a small city. I find that if you view it as such, you aren't disappointed that we don't have the entertainment/cultural venues of a real city. It is a very family friendly place with low crime, which sounds like what you are wanting.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM

62 posts, read 147,906 times
Lexington is great for families and LEXpert is right in that, it should probably be viewed as very nice, prosperous, and growing BIG town - not really a big city feel.

You may have to be a bit more specific as to what you want. One interesting thing about Lexington is that you can drive in a 10+ minute span from downtown to horse and farm country. Point being, you could live in the nicer parts of the city for your 400k budget and also have a short commute to a variety of hunting, fishing, and outdoor options. If your wanting a nice little 10 acre plot out Old Richmond Rd. for example, then that is one option, another would be to live in a little more rural areas in the peripheral towns around Lex - you'd really get that hunting, fishing,and wildlife feel but it would be a VERY significant change from London. That is why I would suggest buying in one of the best older neighborhoods in town with great schools, great surrounding community, and family friendly. And you can enjoy your outdoor activities with a short commute as well as your wife being within the city for access to shopping and spas.

As an aside - LEXpert, I was born and raised here and you hear a lot about Lexington not having certain entertainment facilities and amenities that bigger cities have, and I tend to agree when you've been here your whoel life you can get bored with the same stuff sometimes. But specifically, what do you think Lexington is missing today that it really could use or needs? (I think I might make a whole post about this)

Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM

969 posts, read 2,818,067 times
I've been here for 25 years and think it is just right. After posting on here for the past several years, I find that the people that come from smaller areas seem to think the traffic is bad and that it is a big city.....and that the people who have come from major cities seem to think the traffic isn't too bad and that we lack cultural/entertainment stuff. I like to point these things out to new posters so they can get a more balanced view of Lexington.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 AM

40 posts, read 143,853 times
Quote:
Good morning to you all, As the title suggests, what areas of Fayette County would you suggest for my wife (30), daughter (3) and myself (34)? We currently live in London and, to be perfectly honest, I have had more than enough. The way the towns going to the dogs I really don't want my daughter growing up here.
Tell us what you mean. What is happening in London?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: