U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM

2,213 posts, read 3,052,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Somebody needs to do their research about Lexington....

I'm tired of doing it for everybody.
Look, research looks good on paper. I was just writing my own experience about Lexington's job market. No need to be defensive about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Look, research looks good on paper. I was just writing my own experience about Lexington's job market. No need to be defensive about it.
Job market numbers can be deceiving

Sure, Lexington's unemployment # might be avg or slightly below but that does not predict the odds of one obtaining desirable employment

As posted before, I think Lexington's job market really suits professional self-employed types, healthcare types & education types

I think beyond those fields, it can be very hit or miss

On avg, I think educated people seeking numerous white collar opportunities will fare better in bigger markets such as L'ville, Cincy, Nashville, etc. Lexington does a poor job of supporting some job sectors IMO - namely high tech.

So, I'm not surprised by your experience at all

Old 11-19-2010, 01:35 AM

2,213 posts, read 3,052,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Job market numbers can be deceiving

Sure, Lexington's unemployment # might be avg or slightly below but that does not predict the odds of one obtaining desirable employment

As posted before, I think Lexington's job market really suits professional self-employed types, healthcare types & education types

I think beyond those fields, it can be very hit or miss

On avg, I think educated people seeking numerous white collar opportunities will fare better in bigger markets such as L'ville, Cincy, Nashville, etc. Lexington does a poor job of supporting some job sectors IMO - namely high tech.

So, I'm not surprised by your experience at all
Exactly! That's why I find it really annoying when people simply quote statistical research about the diversity and strength of Lexington's job market. Anyone can pull data off the internet to back up his/her claim, but it's all theory anyway because the reality on the ground is totally different.

You go to the east side of Lexington (closer to Hamburg, where most new comers live) and you'll see how transient Lexington really is. You'll see neighbors who hardly know each other and don't bother to socialize because chances are they'll see a new face next door in less than 2 years, if they haven't moved out themselves by then, so why bother?

So it's really sad to see all of these young, highly educated professionals who have to move elsewhere to find a job in their chosen fields. That means less money for the city, which results in less money to spend for the community it serves.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
So it's really sad to see all of these young, highly educated professionals who have to move elsewhere to find a job in their chosen fields. That means less money for the city, which results in less money to spend for the community it serves.
I would agree with that

Lexington does lose considerable talent to other colleges out of state and the grads don't return + recent KY state college grads move away

I think that happened to L'ville a few decades ago but IMO some are beginning to come back and have been attracted to the progress the city has made (believe there was an article describing that trend in the paper a few years back)

Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Wow, easydoesit and grace are clueless. No matter where you live, there's always going to be a larger city somewhere else. Larger cities have more diverse jobs. You two act like this is just a Lexington or Louisville thing, umm hello? It's common in any smaller city. Like Richmond, VA loses people to DC or Asheville, NC loses people to Charlotte, NC. Why do I even need to explain that? It's common sense, or should be anyway. But they're really not losing people at all, because you have so many smaller town people moving to the nearest small city and replacing those that left.

Small towns are the ones that are losing talent and are effected way more than a city like Lexington or Louisville.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, easydoesit and grace are clueless. No matter where you live, there's always going to be a larger city somewhere else. Larger cities have more diverse jobs. You two act like this is just a Lexington or Louisville thing, umm hello? It's common in any smaller city. Like Richmond, VA loses people to DC or Asheville, NC loses people to Charlotte, NC. Why do I even need to explain that? It's common sense, or should be anyway. But they're really not losing people at all, because you have so many smaller town people moving to the nearest small city and replacing those that left.

Small towns are the ones that are losing talent and are effected way more than a city like Lexington or Louisville.
True, there's a drain in most markets to some other bigger city

I simply agreed with the statement

Lastly, we are discussing brain drain as in losing talented, highly educated people, not replacing population loss with small town people moving in so I'm not sure where that population explanation came in to play as it doesn't fit with the discussion

And do these small town people you speak of possess the talent to fill the loss of those talented people? Is that what you are implying? Doubt it.

If you really want your city to have a bright future you want to make efforts to retain those people. Not just say "ahh gee, it happens everywhere so that makes it ok"

Thanks the explanation though, troll

At least you made some sense and that's better than most of your slop

Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Thanks the explanation though, troll

At least you made some sense and that's better than most of your slop
Ok so now you need to go do some research on what a troll is. I am here constantly defending Lexington and Kentucky as a whole. That does not make me a troll dude.

Those that are here constantly being negative and flat out rude slash mean toward our region are the trolls.

I will continue to post my "slop" here, so deal with it.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Grace and I are exchanging our views on the Lexington job market - what Grace believes is needed in Lexington (on topic)

InLondon calls us both clueless b/c what was posted wasn't glowingly positive about Lexington's job market (disrupting normal discussion & trying to provoke a response)

You have trolled some of my other posts and made comments to provoke a response when I have attempted to be helpful in the thread - again, disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I'm really blown away by how you attack users w/ an opposing (even balanced) view and the behavior you exhibit on this forum. So I say if it smells like a troll, it must be a troll.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times
Based on the percent growth rate who is Lexington losing jobs to? Lex ranks 10th in college education rate and is among the fastest growing non sun belt metro areas. Population loss has never been a problem here.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 AM

You are really missing the point. The whole discussion was a) not about population declines & b) not about whether or not Lexington has a high education attainment. After all, a college degree does not equate to talent. There is a big difference between a talented history major and a talented computer science major but both count equally towards your education attainment number.

It was about losing talented, educated individuals who move to other cities to seek better opportunities & start businesses. Do you think a talented software developer is going to remain in Lexington if he/she wants to maximize earnings potential? Do you think a high tech company will be able to fill its roster in Lexington? Of course, I'm sure some posters actually believe so. Even Huntsville, AL (a good comp) has been able to attract and retain high tech talent. And what do you know, high tech companies have a presence there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area