U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times

Advertisements

Lexington doesn't have much of or any of:
Transportation (You have to drive everywhere, when you can muster the patience for that.)
Entertainment (For young people who don't care about horses, at least. The nightlife is horrid.)

Too much sprawl, not enough infill and redevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Lexington doesn't have much of or any of:
Transportation (You have to drive everywhere, when you can muster the patience for that.)
Entertainment (For young people who don't care about horses, at least. The nightlife is horrid.)

Too much sprawl, not enough infill and redevelopment.
Sprawl?? Go look at a map of Lexington and see how everything is compact and the city is squished together. How much sprawl can there be here with all the horse farms in every direction around the city? Sure Lexington has grown outward quite a bit (Hamburg and Beaumont) but still that's nothing really. If you think Lexington has too much sprawl, I would love to hear what you think about Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM

871 posts, read 2,014,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Sprawl?? Go look at a map of Lexington and see how everything is compact and the city is squished together. How much sprawl can there be here with all the horse farms in every direction around the city? Sure Lexington has grown outward quite a bit (Hamburg and Beaumont) but still that's nothing really. If you think Lexington has too much sprawl, I would love to hear what you think about Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc.
OK, come on. all of his criticisms of lexington here are legitimate. lexington, for a city of its size, is quite sprawlish. and there really is no public transportation at all.

lexington was a small town for years, then it boomed. it really didnt react to it that well. i think lexington could probably use the things he said (except the nightlife, because i dont care about that).

Old 11-27-2010, 04:16 PM

So you wouldn't consider the countless McMansion subdivisions "sprawly"? Or the numerous shopping centres which are EXACTLY like every other shopping centre in America?

This is about what Lexington needs. I'm not talking about Atlanta or LA. You couldn't pay me to live in either of those.

I will say however, that while this is a common problem, Lexington definitely has the most sprawling landscape and bland "urban" (in all reality resembling suburban more than anything) cityscape one can find in this state. Combine this with our gridlocked arterial roads and lack of connectivity (one-way-in, one-way-out subdivisions) make this a quite poorly planned city.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,185,236 times
Quote:
Ugh, why do you have to be the voice of simple-mindedness in every single thread?? There's a little bit of difference in your comparisons there, guy. Namely Atlanta & LA are home to millions of people in their metro areas, has thriving established urban cores, etc. Lexington has something like 270K & no one downtown at all. Apples & oranges. And there's plenty of other ways to get around in those other cities too. Walking, biking, good transit, etc. LA in fact is moving forward with what will become the biggest mass transit system in the US. In Lexington you ain't going nowhere if it isn't by car. Again, apples & oranges.

Point being, you dont have to have a huge population to have sprawl, which Lexington most definitely has. Take a look at a population map of the county sometime & you'll see how many actual residents are in the downtown zip codes, it's pretty pathetic (something like only 2-3K residents).

So yeah man, it's sprawly. Lexington is just like a lot of other southern cities that came up really quick out of mostly nothing & was built out almost entirely during when everyone drove cars (instead of being built around pedestrians like other more historic cities that were better established way back then). Thats why there's no real urban core, no public transportation or way to get around besides cars, and why everything is cookie cutter.

Its not an insult, its just the way it grew. Like I said, plenty of other cities are the exact same way. So get some infill & density in your urban core, better ways to get around, etc & we'll talk. I doubt this'll happen anytime soon though.

Last edited by KerryB; 11-28-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
lexington has something like 270k & no one downtown at all.

No one downtown? I can't even comment about that remark. It makes no sense for one thing. As if you ever go downtown. What do you even know about Lexington?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Lexington has grown outward and new areas are where people moved. IMO people like new here (it's why Ball homes have been able to sell so well) and has hurt the possibility of older neighborhoods developing character and uniqueness. Southland, IMO, has a chance at becoming a distinct neighborhood b/c of the proximity to the commercial space on Southland Dr and campus but it just doesn't seem to quite make the cut & Southland Dr has attracted some local businesses but there is still a lot of empty looking space.

Downtown hasn't really taken off like city planners had hoped - Hamburg didn't help. IMO, downtown is dull and lifeless during the week M-Thur after work or after some event. On weekends, people go downtown to party but again, it empties out after closing time.

So not sure if people moving out + downtown not taking off = sprawl by everyone's definition but those two have happened IMO

Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Downtown Lexington is almost dead. Hell, it's easier to drive in downtown Lex at rush hour than Hamburg or the Mall area.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,185,236 times
Quote:
No one downtown? I can't even comment about that remark. It makes no sense for one thing. As if you ever go downtown. What do you even know about Lexington?
"Not making sense", eh? Why am I not surprised. Why don't you actually check out some hard census stats (on the 40502, 40507, 40508 zip codes) & a population map for one? See if it makes sense then.

You don't have to "go downtown" to check out stats. But since you ask, I recently spent 10 years in Lex, attended UK (you know, the university, not sporting events), lived & dated people downtown, spent a lot of my time down there, etc. I know a bit about life in Lexington & have since lived in other bigger & similarly sized cities so I have something to compare it to. I'm guessing all you know is what you see when you travel there from good 'ol middle-of-nowhere London to shop at the mall or go to a UK game. So yeah, Im sure it does seem like some thriving metropolis to some people (I thought the same thing when I moved from small town E KY where I grew up). But it's not by any stretch of the imagination.

So let's see, you don't live there & don't know enough to even check out census stats. Tell us again why you're commenting like you know something?? Oh, that's right. Cause that's what you do. Carry on good sir.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
"Not making sense", eh? Why am I not surprised. Why don't you actually check out some hard census stats (on the 40502, 40507, 40508 zip codes) & a population map for one? See if it makes sense then.

You don't have to "go downtown" to check out stats. But since you ask, I recently spent 10 years in Lex, attended UK (you know, the university, not sporting events), lived & dated people downtown, spent a lot of my time down there, etc. I know a bit about life in Lexington & have since lived in other bigger & similarly sized cities so I have something to compare it to. I'm guessing all you know is what you see when you travel there from good 'ol middle-of-nowhere London to shop at the mall or go to a UK game. So yeah, Im sure it does seem like some thriving metropolis to some people (I thought the same thing when I moved from small town E KY where I grew up). But it's not by any stretch of the imagination.

So let's see, you don't live there & don't know enough to even check out census stats. Tell us again why you're commenting like you know something?? Oh, that's right. Cause that's what you do. Carry on good sir.
Well I'm a UK graduate. I know Lexington well dude. Not to mention spending summers with grandparents who still live there, in an older neighborhood not far from downtown.

Ummmmmm, I did check census stats. The population of Lexington is right at 300,000! Now go do your research! Grrrr
Kerry, you're just too funny dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area