U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
Nashville, being just a bit smaller than Milwaukee and the smallest on your list, is still approximately 4x the size of the Lexington metro area. Does the concept of "scale" even appear on your radar?

Size AND density are equally important parts of the equation.

Whatever the reason for downtown Lexington being lackluster, lackluster it is.

It appears the parking space in front of the cigar shop on Main was removed during the recent "improvements"; I was gonna stop in for some stogies last week but kept going and went to the cigar shop on New Circle across from the Caddy dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM

308 posts, read 540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

It appears the parking space in front of the cigar shop on Main was removed during the recent "improvements"; I was gonna stop in for some stogies last week but kept going and went to the cigar shop on New Circle across from the Caddy dealer.
Does them downtown smokes taste better than the New Circle road smokes?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:29 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
I think Madison, WI is a better comparison and it's much more happening place

Whether it is sprawl or low population density downtown, Lexington's downtown is pretty lackluster aside from a few events that temporarily attract crowds of people so I agree with those saying it leaves a lot to be desired

Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,244,377 times
Yeah, what Lexington needs is more infill housing and rehab in the older parts of the city.

There are some "OK" examples of infill construction in the South Hill area, between Maxwell and Bolivar Streets, near the UK campus. This could be a model of what to do in the area between downtown and Gratz Park and along High Street (replacing the parking lots in these areas with more housing, maybe row houses and such). I think there is also a new apartment or condo on Main, west of Victorian Square/Rupp Arena/Triangle Park?

Also, seems there are some older buildings downtown that could be good apartment or loft conversion opportunities.

What they need to stop doing, what Lexington needs less of, is stuff like Centerpointe, tearing down older buildings for these massive, out-of-scale monster developments that kill the scale and streetscape and make downtown more blah than it already is.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Does them downtown smokes taste better than the New Circle road smokes?

Nah, but I like the fella that owns the place and prefer giving my business to him.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Also, seems there are some older buildings downtown that could be good apartment or loft conversion opportunities.
The ones that already exist appear to be sitting mostly empty. Before I moved back to Chicago a couple of years ago I checked out the market downtown and at the time you could rent a gorgeous condo for very reasonable (by Chicago standards) dough although I thought sales prices were far too high. But driving through downtown last week the lights still were mostly off in the newer downtown developments.

Maybe I'm wrong; I was just driving and looking around and hardly have my finger on the pulse there anymore. But the Waffle House on Athens Road was as good as ever.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yeah, what Lexington needs is more infill housing and rehab in the older parts of the city.

There are some "OK" examples of infill construction in the South Hill area, between Maxwell and Bolivar Streets, near the UK campus. This could be a model of what to do in the area between downtown and Gratz Park and along High Street (replacing the parking lots in these areas with more housing, maybe row houses and such). I think there is also a new apartment or condo on Main, west of Victorian Square/Rupp Arena/Triangle Park?

What they need to stop doing, what Lexington needs less of, is stuff like Centerpointe, tearing down older buildings for these massive, out-of-scale monster developments that kill the scale and streetscape and make downtown more blah than it already is.
And don't even have the financing to complete

Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM

218 posts, read 569,121 times
Quote:
Nah, but I like the fella that owns the place and prefer giving my business to him.
Dale told me today that the next time you come by, just give him a call and he will bring them out to you when you pull up. You know, curbside service.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:

You know what you remind me of? That girl in high school that acted like she hated you, but she actually was in love with you. Well, my belief is that you love Lexington and like to act like you don't. I don't buy it dude.

There's several cities that I don't like (much of the West Coast, yuck) but I don't ever even read any of the forums for those cities. Why? Because I have no interest in those places. You have to have an interest or like the city to constantly post stuff here all the time when you don't even live here.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
You know what you remind me of? That girl in high school that acted like she hated you, but she actually was in love with you. Well, my belief is that you love Lexington and like to act like you don't. I don't buy it dude.

There's several cities that I don't like (much of the West Coast, yuck) but I don't ever even read any of the forums for those cities. Why? Because I have no interest in those places. You have to have an interest or like the city to constantly post stuff here all the time when you don't even live here.

I know your type all too well, dude & you're typical for those parts. In your feeble little mind that can't think outside of your own little corner of the world there in bumblef**k nowhere, anyone who criticize Lexington & parts of Kentucky in general must automatically be against it & hate the place. Whatta stupid & ignorant notion.

You know, instead of constantly combing the forum & looking to swat away any posts that are critical, why don't you actually discuss them & try to contribute something? Or are you even capable of such discussions??

Your history would lead me to believe you aren't because you never do. Seriously, why do you even bother posting if that's the case??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area