U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
You know, instead of constantly combing the forum & looking to swat away any posts that are critical, why don't you actually discuss them & try to contribute something? Or are you even capable of such discussions??

The InLondon program isn't designed to discuss; only to contradict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The InLondon program isn't designed to discuss; only to contradict.

Well well well, Tommy doesn't respond to my comment......

Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Well well well, Tommy doesn't respond to my comment......

It's not worthy.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's not worthy.
Oh come on now, you know I'm right.

I know I'm right too.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh come on now, you know I'm right.

I know I'm right too.

Ah, the argument by assertion. Closely related to argument by contradiction and InLondon's favorite, argumentum ad hominem.

None of which have anything to do with the nature of Lexington's downtown or the state of housing there. Or access to cigar shops. Which the learned here understand but seems to need pointing out to InLondon.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM

4,962 posts, read 4,762,067 times
I am not sure exactly what they have right now and how strong the demand is, but my impression was that Lexington could use more music venues that can handle 500-3,000 people. And more outside festivals and concerts on weekends most of the year and maybe even some mid-week night concerts.

And not just stuff aimed at the whole family or social conservatives or even moderates, but also more stuff for the college crowd and 20 and 30 somethings and hipsters of various stripes beyond the small club level of entertainment options.

I don't think either has really been a priority of the politicians and economic development boosters (or a lot of local business people who could possibly provide it or push for it and support it) despite it being raised frequently by younger people who leave for bigger cities in part because of this issue or young and middle-aged in-migrants who come to Lexington for jobs and are somewhat or very disappointed in that element. And probably because most mainline Lexingtonians are not pushing for this and may somewhat oppose these things becoming more prominent in their town which they prefer to be quiet, more quiet than it is and more quiet than it would be in their eyes if this happened and wasn't managed well.

Will the new Mayor make it a priority as part of his push for jobs by making the city more appealing to upscale workers who want more entertainment options as part of their lifestyle and the employers who could bring those jobs to Lexington or Cincinnati or Louisville or Nashville or Raleigh or even other cities closer to Lexington in size?

These type events are associated with drinking but honestly so is college basketball and football, dining, barbecues, days at the lake and other things for many people so it is not really adding something that new though I guess when it is done by younger people and more publicly it does get noticed more and it can get wilder. Still most places can make it sort of "work" for those that want it and not be total disaster for those who don't.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 AM

218 posts, read 569,121 times
In this time of economic doldrums, the local politicians will accept just about any manner of jobs that one could create, but it is NOT their top priority to create them. The new mayor will make a push for jobs but not just upscale jobs, nor should we limit ourselves to upscale entertainment venues. Job creation should be across the whole spectrum.

One is correct to equate these entertainment venues with drinking and nightlife. One should also be aware of how the liquor licenses are apportioned by population and that generally they are all allocated. The acquisition of a liquor license may take a long time and be very expensive. They are also controlled by the state so there is nothing that the mayor can do about that. One needs to compare the liquor laws of those other states to assess the viability of venues here vs other cities.

Our local business folks wish to make a fair return on their investment and many of them have brought in concepts that worked elsewhere only to find that, despite the nearly constant pleas for such, the venture failed to live up to expectations.

Our local residents don't wish for these venues to fail. They do wish to be left undisturbed in their homes and neighborhoods. They don't care how or where you entertain yourself, just don't be a danger to the rest of us.

For those of you who deeply desire for there to be another great music venue and feel that there is sufficient demand for one, I say, go for it. Start one yourself and I will check you out.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

4,962 posts, read 4,762,067 times
Thanks for the reply and especially the points about liquor licenses.

Based on reading newspaper headlines though I'd say Mayor Gray has made jobs and upscale jobs his top priority.

Whether he will makes any greater efforts to support the creation of mid-sized entertainment venues is just a question I put out there. It is not my "priority" or personal line of business or prediction.

It does seem to be a part of how cities are perceived by some upscale job creators and worker talent and probably entrepreneurs as well and if one was interested in making maximum effort and maximum progress on job and good job creation I would not entirely overlook the issue of entertainment options as a factor related to job creation. It is the possible impact on long-term job creation that makes this a potentially significant public issue and more than just an entertainment issue.

With more mid-sized venues more mid-price options would probably follow and might be more attractive than either the small club acts or the big ticket arena shows for more people than support that sector today. How many of course is for those most knowledgeable and involved to figure out and make responsible decisions off of those projections. I indicated from the start that demand would be a factor needing further investigation and you are right to raise supply side concerns as well.

That the acquisition of a liquor license might take a long time and be very expensive is something that I can see and agree with now but didn't immediately think of when I raised the general topic. Still. a larger music venue can make it cashflow better than a small club so with time I'd think that it could be handled by a motivated businessperson, though admittedly I don't those specific rules and processes related to license transfers or license returns and re-issues to others.

I tried to be even-handed about the noise and public disturbances issues. It is not going to happen if they can't come up with measures to keep control. I know this has been a longstanding objection that has largely prevailed. I would not expect folks to support it if it was not kept within reasonable bounds- and given the history it will probably have to be even better than that- but as aways it comes down to what are reasonable expectations or likely outcomes. There are non-appropriate zones but I think there are appropriate zones as well. And the rowdy behavior that folks don't like is probably still occurring without mid-sized music venues, it is just spread out a little more. Perhaps event venues of a certain size should be required to have certain levels of their own security or help cover the cost of heightened police presence around their venues. Again I don't know that history and current details but I'd think something reasonable could be worked out with enough effort.

It is certainly up to the venue and music businesses and music fans to lead the way if they really want more. It is also up to the political leaders and to some extent the voters and neighbors though to decide whether they want it, when considering all its costs and possible spin-off benefits to restaurants / hotels / retail businesses and to the community at large if it making Lexington an easier sell to companies who could add new primary jobs. If they want it, they can either just "allow it" or actually take some active steps to help it happen more than it has. That is what you do if you want "more" jobs and entertainment. Lexington won't be Nashville or Austin or Memphis or even Cincinnati or Louisville but it probably could have more live entertainment if the key players worked together on it. I raised it as something that I don't think Lexington really has and might "need" in response to the original question. "Need" is certainly debatable from several angles but I thought it was a fairly obvious target to at least raise for possible consideration / discussion.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-14-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

161 posts, read 352,011 times
If what you like to do for fun is eat out and basketball then I guess Lexington is OK... I find this place extremely boring and I'm only here because my husband and I own a business which we are trying to sell so we can relocate somewhere fun, warmer and close to a beach.
I have children and with the exception of chuck e cheese and Kids place there's very little for a child to do. No amusement parks, no zoo, no museum... Nothing!!!
Hopefully we'll be able to move soon because i've been here 12 years and I'm fried! However I have NO complaints about the people. Very sweet people, good traffic are a few of the positive things about here.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM

10,993 posts, read 9,167,744 times
Actually, Lexington has a very good children's museum - the Explorium - plus a fine system of public libraries with an abundance of free activities for children. There's also the Living Arts and Science Center, with classes of various kinds at reasonable cost, the Lexington Children's Theater, both ice and roller skating rinks, city parks of various kinds, with traditional and adventure playgrounds, natural areas with hiking and nature study activities, the nearby Kentucky (state) Horse Park, replica pioneer forts at both Fort Harrod State Park and Boonesboro State Park, and both Louisville and Cincinnati are less than two hours up the road. Two large local bookstores also offer storytimes for young children, and several arts and crafts stores also have children's classes at low cost. Why is it you're having such a hard time finding interesting activities for your children, with all these opportunities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area