U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM

10,993 posts, read 9,167,744 times

Advertisements

In addition to the above activities, there is a large and newish dollhouse museum in Danville, plus a railroad exhibit at the Danville museum at present, plus two railroad (one toy, one real) museums in Versailles, the Kentucky Doll and Toy Museum in Carlisle, lots of dollhouses and miniature rooms in the Maysville museum, live Australian animals and a beautiful cave at Kentucky Down Under in Horse Cave, swimming, fishing, and boating at Cave Run Lake, Herrington Lake, and Lake Cumberland, hiking trails here and there along the Kentucky River Palisades, three historic homes open to the public in Lexington, all of which offer special focus activities for children, historic Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, complete with riverboat ride, the Kentucky History Museum in Frankfort, large zoos in both Louisville and Cincinnati plus two large amusement parks in Cincinnati - no,they're not Lexington, but they're close, well within daytrip range.

If you restrict your family's activities to Chuck E. Cheese and Kidsplace, you're missing so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM

161 posts, read 352,011 times
I spent the afternoon yesterday with my kids at the explorium and about 1hr after we got there we had done everything twice. It's a tiny place. There is not much we can do at the horse park at this time of the year and after you've been there a couple of times there's not much to see. All the nature stuff can also be scratched off from Nov-May and the idea of having to go to another state to visit an aquarium or drive 1:30min for the zoo is just not very appealing to me. Fayette mall is a poor excuse for a mall so even shopping is kinda boring here...
We've done the roller skating, the ice skating, the art classes, Shakervillage, we camp at the lake (from June-Oct only) etc... I'm OK here when it's summer but during the winter months this place bores me to death.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM

218 posts, read 569,121 times
I am just about tired of hearing form those who want Lexington to have those thing that all the other cities have, yet will do basically nothing to assist or create something for others. If the Children's Museum is too small, then volunteer to help fundraise for more space. If we don't have a zoo, then organize others to establish one. Just quit complaining that they don't have something for me.

For those who don't want to stay here, I'll be the first to give you directions to the Interstate.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM

161 posts, read 352,011 times
I AM about to leave... Like I said I've been here 12 years and seen no progress... I own a business here... I pay a LOT of taxes (more than most people make in a year) I do not feel like I should need to volunteer in order to have a zoo, an amusement park or a museum... Our State government should be investing on these things not just to improve the lives of it's residents but also to attract turists to the area and bring more revenue to the state.
There has been nothing new in Lexington for the past 12 years, no cultural or social growth of any kind and if you missed my first post I don't need directions to the interstate, I know where it is and I'll be hopping on it very soon!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 PM

10,993 posts, read 9,167,744 times
You don't get outside until May?? Good grief, you're missing the ephemeral spring wildflowers at Raven Run, the Gorge, and the Palisades! And it was in the mid-seventies well into November this past fall. I admit, January weather in Kentucky isn't our best season, but that's when you read and plan for the beautiful days to come, visit the caves (53 or so year-round), and grab the rare opportunities to get outside when you can.

BTW, I successfully went geode-hunting today, before the big storm hits tomorrow. About 45 minutes from Lexington. Not ideal weather, but I heard and saw a pileated woodpecker and even found some geode fragments that were a remarkable cobalt blue inside!

Other ideas: turn off the television and the computer, teach your kids to cook, sew, knit, crochet, learn a craft, join a Scout troop, get involved with church activities, join the Y, participate in indoor sports activities more than once or twice (you say you've "done" skating - how often? Once or twice is not enough to determine skill or interest), ask the children's librarian for good family read-alouds and act out the stories using homemade costumes or do associated activities, learn to play a musical instrument, learn to dance, visit those nearby toy museums I mentioned in my previous post, find and write penpals, write Grandma or other out-of-town relatives, paint or draw or model with clay or create paper crafts, start a diary or journal, climb your family tree, get involved in charitable volunteering (not the what's in it for me stuff), do armchair travel to another country...in short, broaden your family's interests and you won't feel so limited by your present horizons.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM

216 posts, read 1,108,368 times
At this very moment, at 9 pm, my kids are outside in the front yard having a snowball fight with the neighborhood kids ( no school tomorrow because of the snowstorm.) We spend time outside every day, all year long. I can't imagine that this place is ever boring...no matter what the month. The natural beauty of ky is amazing. There is so much to do outside here, all year long.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
No offense but maybe there isn't a zoo or other such options here because there isn't a sustainable demand for it

How many metros with 250k populations offer such venues and are within an hour or so driving distance to 2 metros that offer such venues? You could say Lexington's proximity to other cities is a disadvantage in some ways

In terms of "investing" in such ideas, IMHO the state government should compete for tourism dollars where it can and not blindly throw our money at ideas that can't compete with alternatives in nearby states

But in case you missed it KY will have an Ark Park soon, yeah! (sarcasm)

Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM

285 posts, read 826,023 times
Default A decent satellite service

OK I just came in to see what was going on. But right now I irritated that my dish can't handle the weather once again. Of course right now its clear as a bell out. But I guess somewhere there is heavy fog, bad weather. Sorry it really tic's me off, can't they boost the signal?? Get better dishes for folks? OK I feel a tiny bit better.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
OK I just came in to see what was going on. But right now I irritated that my dish can't handle the weather once again. Of course right now its clear as a bell out. But I guess somewhere there is heavy fog, bad weather. Sorry it really tic's me off, can't they boost the signal?? Get better dishes for folks? OK I feel a tiny bit better.

Yeah, life is a *****

You could read a book or get outside for some fresh air instead

Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times
Call your service provider, Shilo.

easydoesit, there are few outdoor recreation opportunities in Lexington, especially in bad weather, be calm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area