U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
No jobs in Lexington? Really? Wow, there's plenty in the classifieds section. Also, the unemployment rate is always low in Lexington, even during the "Great Recession" that started in late 2007.
Personally, I think Lexington is a mixed bag job market & all depends on what you do. White collar, mid-level corporate jobs = below average. Professional jobs, education & healthcare (some overlap w/ professional category) = good market. Sales = average. Entry-level w/degree = very competitive b/c of UK population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

14,445 posts, read 20,034,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Personally, I think Lexington is a mixed bag job market & all depends on what you do. White collar, mid-level corporate jobs = below average. Professional jobs, education & healthcare (some overlap w/ professional category) = good market. Sales = average. Entry-level w/degree = very competitive b/c of UK population.
thanks I was entry level with a ba . so there you go and yes it all depends on what you do . someone told me to check out amazon while I was there and guess what they would not even talk to you or their temp service that they hired would not because they claimed they were full and no openings .

Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 AM

54 posts, read 111,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post

I agree. Even when the economy was good it was hard finding a job, especially one with decent pay. Lexington is somewhat "recession proof" due to the amount of low wage jobs in the area. People can hire workers at low pay and when the economy goes south it doesn't affect them as much. Unless you're in the medical field, legal, or teaching, you're going to have a rough go of it finding a well paying job in this town.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
I still disagree, the job market is good in Lexington. Look up some facts please. Another thing, people in every city seem to complain about the lack of jobs, it's annoying quite frankly. There could be millions of jobs and yet people will still complain.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,576,350 times
I guess this thread is a great example of how perception shapes your viewpoint on the world. This past weekend, I went out and drove around the areas mentioned here in this thread and while I will agree that I saw houses that need work, some more than others, that the areas didn't have full out ghetto look about them.

The city we moved from has far worse areas that are considered ghetto or "the bad section of town". In fact, in my driving around the Lexington area, I have seen other areas that would be considered full out ghetto and the areas mentioned by the posters in this thread don't come close to that definition.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
You are right....it is all in what you compare something to. None of those areas are really scary, they just aren't what they use to be. Lexington has very few places that I would consider to be scary.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,576,350 times
I would have to agree with your statement. I have only encountered a few places around the city that gave me a bad feeling to the point of deciding that I don't want to hang out in that area.

Every city has really nice spots and really bad spots. Its just the nature of the beast.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I still disagree, the job market is good in Lexington. Look up some facts please. Another thing, people in every city seem to complain about the lack of jobs, it's annoying quite frankly. There could be millions of jobs and yet people will still complain.

Excuse me, but I've been laid off and I do know what jobs are available in this area and I do know that Lexington has never had a bounty of good jobs. Yes, we have ACS and Amazon, both huge companies that employ low wage positions. Most job openings at ACS are temporary anyway. I know for a fact that in my line of work, I could easily make 10-15k more per year in a larger city. Unfortunately, one reason I'm trying to move is because I do know that I will never find a job I'm qualified for that paid remotely what I was making (and trust me, it wasn't that much to begin with).

I don't care what people in other cities complain about, I just know that Lexington has never had an excellent job market and it's not going to improve anytime soon.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Back on topic, the only really seedy areas of Lexington are around 5th to 7th streets and parts of Georgetown Rd. Even those areas aren't nearly as bad as some areas you would find in Louisville or other larger cities.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair you are not providing any facts that dispute the idea that Lexington is a mixed bag job market which does not convey the message that Lexington is a bad job market. It is good for certain skills and backgrounds.

From a numbers perspective, the median income looks good when compared to similar sized cities in the south/midwest but how much of that median income number is derived from what I outlined as being the "good" market. The unemployment is low b/c you have students to fill low paying jobs + as said before education/healthcare being a large part plays a role.

Not that you probably can get those details but people can, however, speak from personal experiences.

Many UK grads leave to spread their wings elsewhere b/c the opportunities are not here in abundance. Many stand a much better chance of landing a desirable position in a bigger metro city at a reasonable pay rate.

Lastly, there is a difference between quality of jobs and quantity of jobs. Being an educated & skilled white collar employee, why would I get excited over ACS announcing 700 $8/hr jobs?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area