U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,002 times

Advertisements

My job moved me back to Lex from L'ville recently. I have been living around the Tates Creek rd area going towards Man O' War. What the hell has happened to this area? Some portions have really turned ghetto and I have seen quite a few news stories recently reporting crimes right around the immediate area just within in a month of being here - Wilson Downing, Lansdowne & Redding Rd square that forms from those roads.

News stories:
gun shots aroudn Meadowbrook Park near the elementary school
robbery @ captain d's East Reynolds rd up from Lansdowne
some old lady was robbed and her car stolen near Malibu/Tates Creek I think
some kind of assault from some ex-boyfriend at the Downey Townhomes

Lexington, KY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Lexington - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

I mentioned it to a friend and he said they moved some of the housing projects from Georgetown Rd area to this area hence the crime uptick. Anyway, anyone looking at this area probably needs to really investigate it as it can be good one minute and bad the next - for Lexington that is as I know our bad areas don't even compare to some bigger urban areas. Anyway, I remembered most of the TC area as being pretty decent. I can't say I agree with that now. No way would I buy anything around that area described above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 AM

127 posts, read 315,886 times
yup, redding rd is basically my backyard. kirklevington park is no longer as enjoyable as it used to be. There are always news stories of crimes/shootings in that area. IIRC someone shot a repo man because he was taking his car. rediculous

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM

oh forgot to add one additional news story since I have been back - several businesses broken into off E Reynolds

So about 5 crime scenes or reports within a month...........

Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM

54 posts, read 111,922 times
By the same token I currently live in that area of town and it's been quiet and has been quiet in my neighborhood for several years.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 AM

482 posts, read 708,782 times
turning into a dump. i lived in that area for about 5 years when it was nice

Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,469 times
All areas go through cycles of decline. I don't know if I really would consider Reynolds Road to be close to Tates Creek.

A lot of the Appian/Trent/Crosby/Centre Parkway area has been rough for years. Also, 40517 has the most density in all of Lexington. Heck, practically the whole zip code is apartments and duplexes. Density and turn-over typically lead to crime.

I think the worst areas are Centre Parkway, Whispering Hills, and Downing Place Apartments. IMHO, those seem to be where I have seen the biggest decline over the past 15 years or so.

The area did get some government housing (Camelot and Allante Brook Ct), but I don't think that can be blamed for much of the crime. The city's goal at that time was to put smaller populations of former Charlotte Court and Bluegrass/Aspendale residents throughout the city.

I know what you mean though.....it isn't as nice as it was several years ago!!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

By the same token, I feel that the Centre Pkwy area has cleaned up quite a bit since they put in a police department. I haven't heard of nearly the crime reports as I used to 5, 10 years ago. Whispering Hills and Downing Place have been rough as long as I've lived here (20+ years) and I doubt they'll improve.

I live off Trent and there has been a marked improvement in the past few years. There aren't nearly the incidents there used to be and I think it's pretty quiet. What I think is surprising are the crimes that have been reported around the Cumberland Hills subdivision in the more expensive area. I had a co-worker who lived there and there always reports of vandalism and theft.

Crime is just going to be on the increase in all parts of town, due to the economy.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,511,469 times
The police roll call station did help in Centre Parkway. I am sure you remember that somebody was beaten to death in the parking lot of the shopping center, which is what prompted the city to put in the roll call station.

Whispering Hills seems to have gone down hill to me though. I had a friend who lived there in the early 90's, and I thought it was a decent place. Not now. Same thing with the apartments on Snow and Winter Garden near Alumni and Yellowstone. Another area that seems to be in decline is Pimlico and Yellowstone. I lived off Pimlico until a few years ago and rent out the house now.....it depresses me to drive down Pimlico. It use to be that it was nice between Carriage Lane and Gainesway, but now I am seeing more run down, neglected houses in that area. Tanforan, Carriage and some of the cul-de-sacs off Pimlico are still nice.......for the moment!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 PM

I agree the Gainesway area seems to be in decline, I'm assuming there were a lot of foreclosures in that area, at least that's what it looks like. It's weird, but just everything looks bad, the roads, the landscaping, on top of the houses. It's really a shame. I'm hoping Lexington doesn't forget the older neighborhoods around town.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
All areas go through cycles of decline. I don't know if I really would consider Reynolds Road to be close to Tates Creek.

A lot of the Appian/Trent/Crosby/Centre Parkway area has been rough for years. Also, 40517 has the most density in all of Lexington. Heck, practically the whole zip code is apartments and duplexes. Density and turn-over typically lead to crime.

I think the worst areas are Centre Parkway, Whispering Hills, and Downing Place Apartments. IMHO, those seem to be where I have seen the biggest decline over the past 15 years or so.

The area did get some government housing (Camelot and Allante Brook Ct), but I don't think that can be blamed for much of the crime. The city's goal at that time was to put smaller populations of former Charlotte Court and Bluegrass/Aspendale residents throughout the city.

I know what you mean though.....it isn't as nice as it was several years ago!!

Several years ago sounds about right

I last lived in the area in the early 2000s and it seems quite a bit different now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area