U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 15,654 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me feedback on how they like Andover Hills and Palomar neighborhoods for young families? I will have a 5yo and 2yo and want to make sure each is family friendly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
We lived in Andover Forest for a few years. Kid's met a lot of good friends......

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
I am constantly in both neighborhoods. I think you will like both of them and find them family friendly.

Andover Forest: Close to anything you want in Hamburg, close to the interstate, nice park on Pleasant Ridge, has a short bike trail between Man O War and Pleasant Ridge. (always see families in both!). However, the schools are not quite as good as Palomar. Depending on how the wind blows, you may hear some noise from the interstate.

Palomar: Has the most desirable elementary and high school in town, nice clubhouse for residents with pool/tennis/playground/pond. Some nice shopping and restaurants close. You will hear airplanes since it is so close to the airport. Also has a nice YMCA close by in Beaumont if you would need that!

I really don't think you could go wrong with either, but from a resale standpoint, Palomar is a little better due to the school district. I just had a client who had looked at everything in Palomar as soon as it came on the market. She found what she wanted after 3 months of looking, but just about every one we saw sold pretty quickly.

I have a video tour of Andover Forest and a regular neighborhood review of Palomar on my blog if that would help you.

Here are some things to consider with each:

In Andover Forest, Brighton and Andover Forest Drive are the main streets that a lot of people from outside the neighborhood use to cut through. With small kids, I wouldn't want to be on those streets. Be sure to check out Liberty Road Elementarty School to see if it would be a good fit for you. The middle school is Edythe J Hayes and the high school is Henry Clay. If you wanted a better elementary school, you may want to consider Andover Hills since that neighborhood is served by Athens-Chilesburg Elementary (ACE).

In Palomar, they have a rule in the HOA that all houses must be owner occupied. There are some sections out there that do not have that rule. According to the HOA manager, you can tell by the mailboxes. The streets with the horse head on the mailboxes are the ones where the "No renting" rule applies......but since you are considering both areas, I assume you are in the $350-500k range, so all the streets you would consider would have the horse head mailboxes.

I hope this helps. I would live in either neighborhood. I think it will come down to what part of town you find more appealing and finding the right house :-)

Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 15,654 times
These responses help me alot! If there are any other very family friendly neighborhoods with a pool in a good school zone, please let me know!!! Thanks again!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 PM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwade27 View Post
These responses help me alot! If there are any other very family friendly neighborhoods with a pool in a good school zone, please let me know!!! Thanks again!!!
homes with pools or a neighborhood pool?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
If you are wanting a neighborhood pool plus a popular (Realtors are advised to not use the word "Good" for schools, so I say popular or desirable!) district, that has you in Waterford, Pinnacle, Cumberland Hills, Palomar, Firebrook, Harrods Hill and Rabbit Run. Hartland has a great pool/clubhouse, but the school district isn't........popular. Andover Forest and Andover Hills don't really have a neighborhood pool, but many people join the country club out here and swim there since it is so close. I think it runs about $1400 a year for that type of memebership. All are popular choices with families. Beaumont is another good choice, but they also don't have a neighborhood pool. Many people out there go to the YMCA to swim. It is a nice facility and is right in the neighborhood.

Waterford-Near Tates Creek and Man O War. Most of the area is in Veteran's Park Elementary. Then the middle and high schools aren't as "Popular." Most of the area is about 15 years old. There are some nice lots out there, but some have a lot of slopes. The houses with a finished basement seem to run around $300k. You can get to anything by Fayette Mall or Brannon Crossing pretty easily. Also has a great city park called Veteran's Park close. I am starting to see more houses that have been updated in this area.

Pinnacle-Right behind Waterford. Pretty much ditto on everything, but Pinnacle is a little newer.

Cumberland Hills-Near Waterford and Pinnacle. Houses are a little cheaper, mainly because they are older and not as updated. The best thing about this area is the size of the lots. It also boarders Veteran's Park and has it's own access through a little section of the park called Ribbon Park. Prices are usually under $300k.

Palomar-Man O War and Harrodsburg Road. Well rounded school district, great neighborhood park/pool. Many good sized lots. Mature landscaping. However, many that I have been in are pretty outdated, so expect a lot of brass and pickled cabinets! Larger houses with a basement seem to be in the $300-450k range. I have sold 3 out there recently and have friends out there. They all like it a lot.

Firebrook-Out Harrodsburg Road past Palomar-Has a decent elementary school. I think what clients I have dealt with really like is that you are on the edge of town and it is pretty peaceful out there. Prices typically are in the $300-400k range, with several larger ones well over $500k. There is a neighborhood called Ashbrooke that blends into Firebrook pretty seemlessly. Prices in Ashbrooke are a little less...usually right at $300k or less for a similar house.

Harrods Hill-Between Palomar and Beaumont. It is older than most of that area. It has all the perks of Rabbit Run, Palomar, and Beaumont, but in an older package. I have been in many houses in this neighborhood, and they do tend to be outdated, but have the big lots like Cumberland Hills. It has a small neighborhood pool and clubhouse, as well as a park that connects to the walking trail in Beaumont on the part that is behind Hemingway Drive. It also blends in with Beaumont. You will be driving down a road and then realize that all of the sudden the houses are about 20 years newer.

Rabbit Run-Harrodsburg Road between Man O War and New Circle. Has more of an in town vibe. I think for the price range you will be in, there may not be many houses. The larger ones are on Belnheim and run from $300k and up.

Hartland is a beautiful neighborhood out Tates Creek. I have been in dozens out there. Many, like most of these neighborhoods, have a lot of houses that need updating. Prices run from the low $300's to about $500k. The Executive and Estate sections start about about $600 and go way up. What I love about Hartland is all the landscaping. The neighborhood was well done 25 years ago and has matured well. There is also a nice city park in the neighborhood too. A nice, updated, larger one can be had for in the low to mid $400's. The school district is the weak spot though :-(

Beaumont and all it's derivative sub-neighborhoods-A very popular choice with out of town buyers due to the school district and location just of New Circle at Harrodsburg Road. The neighborhood has shopping, restaurants, a grocery store, a post office, gas station, etc, right in the neighborhood. It also has a park and a walking trail. It is very close to Dunbar High Scool and has Rosa Parks Elementary right in the middle of it. It also has a nice YMCA. Prices can be as low as the low $300's, but parts like Beaumont Reserve, Beaumont Crossings, Beaumont Santuary, and any other one with a word after "Beaumont" tend to be in the $400k and WAAAAAAAY up range. I have sold 4 houses out there in the past year and all my people love it.

Personally, I think Andover Hills, Palomar, and Beaumont are the most well rounded and have the broadest resale potential, but you can't really go wrong with any of these neighborhoods. I would check them all out.

Sorry to write a book here!!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwade27 View Post
Can anyone give me feedback on how they like Andover Hills and Palomar neighborhoods for young families? I will have a 5yo and 2yo and want to make sure each is family friendly. Thanks!
Palomar = better school district!

Andover = close to everything!

Edit to say that I posted this before reading what Lexpert had to say. He agrees with me.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
Hello, very useful info...thanks!
Can someone tell me the difference between andover forest and andover hills? I hear andover forest is a bit more upscale?? I am specifically looking at a house in lake valley dr in andover hills...price seems very similar to homes in andover forest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area