Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 20,583 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look into moving to the Lexington, KY area maybe in the next year. I am hoping someone could answer a few questions about what or how are the taxes in the Lexington and surrounding areas? Not how much but just some examples of taxes like Federal, state, locale, working tax, property, school tax, sales tax or anything else (breath tax, wake up tax)?? We moved to PA from FL and the all of the PA taxes took us by surprise!!

How are the utilities? Electric, water, sewer, gas and trash pickup are they all seperate as in you can pick who you use or does the city or county provide the service then you pay one bill?

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,082 times
There are several different tax districts in Fayette County depending on the level of services the city offers. The most expensive one is 1.0951% of assessed value and includes garbage pick up. The state sales tax is 6%. I know as a self-employed person I pay a total of 2.75% for local/school tax. I assume it is the same for everybody.

For Fayette County, the electric company depends on where you live. There is Kentucky Utilities (KU) and Bluegrass RECC. I have heard that the RECC is more expensive. The part of town with RECC is mainly outside Man O War in South Lex. Most tax districts include garbage collection. If the neighborhood does not include it, your rate will be cheaper and you can pick one of a handful of private companies. Much of SW Lex has private collection.

Having been here for 25 years, I don't really have anything to compare the cost of utilities with, but as a realtor who deals with an awful lot of out of town buyers, I have never had anybody complain about utility costs......so I assume they are reasonable.

Also, the city and county are a merged government called Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government (LFUCG).

Here are a few links:

General tax stuff: Fayette County - Taxes and Incentives

PVA tax districts & property tax rates: Fayette County Property Valuation Administrator

LFUCG site: Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Lexington, Kentucky : Home

Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 20,583 times
Thanks for the information.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,645 times
You also pay a tax on your vehicle(s) when registering them in KY. I believe it is based on current value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area