U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 31,027 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My family and I will be taking a vacation to Lexington in Feb or March. I am not familiar with the attractions around. What would be some great family things to do? We will be staying a week and we will probably stay close to the city. Our daughter is 3. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Lexington isn't really a destination city unless you are coming for an event IMO. What do you like to do? Kind of a tough part of the year to provide you with some ideas.

Although it may not necessarily be kid friendly and assuming it doesn't go against your morals, I highly recommend doing a bourbon tour (which has really become popular). I'm guessing they do the tours year round and if so, I would go with Woodford Reserve's tour.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM

844 posts, read 1,865,712 times
See if you can come out in May instead. It will be freezing cold in Feb.

Be careful... I vacationed here & ended up staying for years!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM

891 posts, read 2,815,616 times
The Explorium is downtown and has many things geared toward younger children. Horse farm tours are always popular but weather could be a factor in those. Joseph Beth Booksellers has story telling on certain days. Google them and see the schedule.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM

My helpful website recommendation for traveling is below

You haven't replied so nobody can help beyond what has been provided

Lexington Vacations, Tourism and Lexington, Kentucky Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM

10,993 posts, read 9,167,744 times
The Explorium is also known as the Lexington Children's Museum, and would be a lot of fun for your little one. The Kentucky Horse Park may also be of interest, though this will definitely be the off-season. All Lexington Public Library locations offer free preschool storytimes (stories, related simple crafts, musical activities) each week - call to find out dates and times.

There's also the Lexington Ice Rink in the Yellowstone Parkway area, with rental skates, for wintry fun.

Lexington has a large St Patrick's Day parade on Main Street - check the date, it's not always March 17. You can watch from inside the Central Library, if the weather isn't inviting.

Nearby attractions include reconstructed pioneer forts at Boonesboro State Park and Old Fort Harrod State Park in Harrodsburg. Shakertown at Pleasant Hill is close to Harrodsburg, and has farm animals.

There's a smallish but nice doll museum on Main Street in Carlisle, and a larger dollhouse museum in Danville.

But do plan your next trip for warmer months, to see Central Kentucky at its best.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,341,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattySon89 View Post
Hey all,
My family and I will be taking a vacation to Lexington in Feb or March. I am not familiar with the attractions around. What would be some great family things to do? We will be staying a week and we will probably stay close to the city. Our daughter is 3. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
I'd be hard pressed to spend week in Lexington.

After you check out the Horse Park, Boonesborough, see Henry Clay's house (Andy "by the eternal" Jackson died regretting he'd not horsewhipped Clay), Mary Tood's house and sample the wide variety of Waffle Houses there'll be little to do in Lexington itself. Take an hour or so ride out to Blue Licks and see where Caldwell and his Redcoats and Great Lakes Indians (Wyandots, Ottawas and Chippewas) whipped the Kentuckians in 17and82. Walk up the path into the ambush site and wonder at the arrogance and stupidity of the Kentuckians who walked into it after Boone warned them. Great God; Caldwell and his bunch came down from Detroit and still used the terrain better than the Kentuckians. (Caldwell's half Potawattamie son Billy was player in early Chicago politics and has a neighborhood and forest preserve in Chicago named after him.)

Take a ride over to Harrodsburg and see the reconstructed fort (NOT on the original site, nor is the one at Boonsborough for that matter) and the big spring by the high school. Visit the spot where a lurking Shawnee beheaded a fella looking after his cows. There's a good Kentucky military museum in Frankfort.

If you go to Boonesborough go down by the river where the fort actually was. Sit on a bench, smoke a cigar and ponder the Shawnee who besieged it and Pompey, the Black Shawnee who shouted insults at the Kentuckian's womenfolk from behind the riverbank until he was shot down.

Go to Boone's Station park in Athens and admire the springs that spout out of the hillside. And visit the old high bridge over the Kentucky River, an engineering marvel when it was built.

The Best Western at I-75 and Athens Rd. is clean, comfortable and reasonably priced; that's where I stay when I run down there.

The St. Patrick's Day parade is pretty lame.

You could also branch out over to the cave country further east. When I lived in Lexington I always wanted to visit where Floyd Collins got stuck and died but never got around to it. There's also one of those TeePee motels over that way. And Lincoln's birthplace. And the Perryville battlefield park; Perryville was the largest battle of the War of the Rebellion (Civil War) fought in Kentucky. By Federal battlefield park standards (it's a state park) it's pretty undeveloped, unmarked and hard to get around but some folks like it that way.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-12-2010 at 01:03 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 04:50 AM

688 posts, read 1,335,587 times
The cave country is to the southwest of Lexington, not to the east, at least the Mammoth Cave is.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'd be hard pressed to spend week in Lexington.
After you check out the Horse Park, Boonesborough, see Henry Clay's house (Andy "by the eternal" Jackson died regretting he'd not horsewhipped Clay), Mary Tood's house and sample the wide variety of Waffle Houses there'll be little to do in Lexington itself. Take an hour or so ride out to Blue Licks and see where Caldwell and his Redcoats and Great Lakes Indians (Wyandots, Ottawas and Chippewas) whipped the Kentuckians in 17and82. Walk up the path into the ambush site and wonder at the arrogance and stupidity of the Kentuckians who walked into it after Boone warned them. Great God; Caldwell and his bunch came down from Detroit and still used the terrain better than the Kentuckians. (Caldwell's half Potawattamie son Billy was player in early Chicago politics and has a neighborhood and forest preserve in Chicago named after him.)

Take a ride over to Harrodsburg and see the reconstructed fort (NOT on the original site, nor is the one at Boonsborough for that matter) and the big spring by the high school. Visit the spot where a lurking Shawnee beheaded a fella looking after his cows. There's a good Kentucky military museum in Frankfort.

If you go to Boonesborough go down by the river where the fort actually was. Sit on a bench, smoke a cigar and ponder the Shawnee who besieged it and Pompey, the Black Shawnee who shouted insults at the Kentuckian's womenfolk from behind the riverbank until he was shot down.

Go to Boone's Station park in Athens and admire the springs that spout out of the hillside. And visit the old high bridge over the Kentucky River, an engineering marvel when it was built.

The Best Western at I-75 and Athens Rd. is clean, comfortable and reasonably priced; that's where I stay when I run down there.

The St. Patrick's Day parade is pretty lame.

You could also branch out over to the cave country further east. When I lived in Lexington I always wanted to visit where Floyd Collins got stuck and died but never got around to it. There's also one of those TeePee motels over that way. And Lincoln's birthplace. And the Perryville battlefield park; Perryville was the largest battle of the War of the Rebellion (Civil War) fought in Kentucky. By Federal battlefield park standards (it's a state park) it's pretty undeveloped, unmarked and hard to get around but some folks like it that way.
Hard to imagine you made it three years

Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 AM

688 posts, read 1,335,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Hard to imagine you made it three years
This Irishtom is another one of those condescending asses kinda like Visvaldis (or is it Vitalis) that is always putting down Ky. None of either of their contempuous b.s. is even worth commenting on, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area