U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM

270 posts, read 861,877 times

Advertisements

Well, I got my bill today and the oft-discussed increase is on it. For other KAWC customers, how much was your increase?

I tell ya, I'm sick to death of all the utility companies constantly raising their rates, with no detectable improvements in product or service. Insight tried to raise my bill over $10/month this month. I called and threatened to cancel, and lo and behold, they were able to make me a "special offer" to keep my monthly rate the same. Unfortunately, you can't call and threaten to cancel your water, electric and gas....

Seems like everything is going up except my paycheck. We state workers saw no COLA this year, and were slapped with 6 furlough days to boot PLUS increased health insurance premiums and co-pays. In essence, a major pay cut. I know I'm more fortunate than those who are unemployed or laid off, but it's hard to keep trying to count your blessings when the financial blows keep on a comin'!

Sorry for the rant -- this little "gift" in my KAWC bill today has just sent me over the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,756,864 times
So what does your water bill cost now if I may ask? How much of an increase?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,469,264 times
Lightbulb utility increases

Even when wages for the private sector are being reduced, utility companies are raising their rates. The best line I heard was that Louisville' recent 4% raise was the smallest raise in over a decade!!! wow, let's celebrate!!!

Why can't utilities downsize like the rest of America? When was the last time a private company had a 10% reduction in production (or consumption in the case of utilities) and they not only increase rates, they don't reduce the workers that don't have to produce as much of the utility product.

As I've said before, ideally, the utility companies would want us to reduce our consumption by 90% but raise our rates by 200% thus doing a lot less work and producing a lot more money. It's flat out ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 AM

508 posts, read 1,356,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
Well, I got my bill today and the oft-discussed increase is on it. For other KAWC customers, how much was your increase?

I tell ya, I'm sick to death of all the utility companies constantly raising their rates, with no detectable improvements in product or service. Insight tried to raise my bill over $10/month this month. I called and threatened to cancel, and lo and behold, they were able to make me a "special offer" to keep my monthly rate the same. Unfortunately, you can't call and threaten to cancel your water, electric and gas....

Seems like everything is going up except my paycheck. We state workers saw no COLA this year, and were slapped with 6 furlough days to boot PLUS increased health insurance premiums and co-pays. In essence, a major pay cut. I know I'm more fortunate than those who are unemployed or laid off, but it's hard to keep trying to count your blessings when the financial blows keep on a comin'!

Sorry for the rant -- this little "gift" in my KAWC bill today has just sent me over the edge.
Yep, we are getting fleeced

Gov't's bogus CPI number essentially says deflation to no inflation (except for the goods and services we HAVE to purchase of course)

Just imagine what price increases will look like when the CPI number says there is inflation which the Fed is trying very hard to do

For what it is worth, I am kicking Insight to the curb in favor of hulu.com, ESPN via streaming, netflix and books (if you have a phone via Insight you can switch to Magic Jack)

Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Oh and to make you feel better:

We had our yearly merit increase dropped to 2%
We had our health prems increased
We had our 401k match dropped (used to be better than avg)
We have gone through major job cuts, offshored a lot of work and work loads have increased for the survivors
We had our quarterly bonuses max range decreased
We had our discounted employee stock purchase plan eliminated

Good times.......

Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM

844 posts, read 1,865,310 times
This is what happens when you vote Democrats into office. Congrats.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Whether you liked it not, the health care (err health insurance reform) reform bill and its related increases haven't come along yet but will

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 AM

127 posts, read 315,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
This is what happens when you vote Democrats into office. Congrats.
i often wonder if it is easier to get through life uninformed...

Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Nobody seems to want to answer the question to this thread. They would rather hijack it to promote other gripes. Nobody asked what your take home pay/401K has done in the past year, how much your internet service costs, the issues with healthcare or your dislike for the democrats.
To answer the question. In aug - sept my water usage was 15,000 gallons and my bill was $101.00. In oct - nov my usage was 11,250 gallons and my bill is $139.00. I also noted an increase in my meter service charge from $8.60 to $9.15. Let me get this right I pay 9 dollars per month 12 months a year, year after year for a meter that cost what 150 bucks. So I used 25% less water and my bill increased by $38.00 So much for the 9 dollar increase they are talking about. Was that for a single person household that does laundry at a laundromat and doesn't bathe? That was also an average increase in water bill? Where do they come up with these numbers? In aug - sept the per unit cost was 2.829 and now it's 4.321. How long do they project it will take to recoup the 164 mil cost? Not to mention this rate increase not only pays for the 164 million dollar expansion they are also asking us to pay for its operation as well. Wow isn't that nice for the stockholders! Now I see why there is a water company on the monopoly board. They also say they completed the expansion in time for the 2010 Wprld Equestrian games. Wow isn't that nice, all the people that came to the games needed those extra 20 million gallons per day. LMAO
The biggest problem I have with all of this is that the increase in supply they profess they need for current customers is simply going to be used to expand their customer base and not just create an adequacy for present customers during a drought. As they expand their client base we foot the bill so they can make greater profits. Can any of you remember a time when we actually ran out of water? I didn't think so. There were the rare occasions where we had to cut back on our use but we really never got close to running out. Well I guess it would be hard to expand the client base with a limited supply so they have to make us believe we are in jeopardy of running out of water in order for them to do so and have us pay for it. There were many times they professed we were running out of water and a simple look at the KY river suggested otherwise. All they really needed to do was repair and enlarge an ancient lock/dam that is still in need of repairs (next rate hike) and dredge the pool of water just above it to continue serving "existing" customers. How nice of us to foot the bill so they can expand their service area. Why not bill new residences at a greater rate since they are the cause for a need in the increase in supply. Does it bother anyone else that while they were telling us to cut back on our use they were actively adding service to thousands of new residences? They supposedly service 500,000 customers in KY and at 9 bucks each that equals 4.5 million per month. Does this mean that in 36.44 months we can expect a 37% reduction in the rates. They also state this additional facility will take care of the central ky area for 20-30 years. Does this mean no more rate increases for that period of time. I can assure the answer to both is NO! I think they meant to say at the present growth rate this new facility will be adequate for 20-30 years.
Maybe if KAW were to give me 20 grand my opinion would change as well. But I guess with the rate changes that would get swallowed up in no time! We had our chance to take over the for profit company and many let a few greedy businessmen and some bought and paid for politicians tell us how bad that would be for us. Now we pay the price and just in time for christmas! I hope the near sighted voters of KY won't forget this the next time condemnation is brought up. I also hope that when condemnation comes up and they profess to have increased the value of the cities system by 164 million the people stand up and say no we paid for that and it's ours. The consumers have paid for everything the company does and is, therefore, it's value should be limited to the real estate it holds!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 4,607,820 times
My water bill has increased to $ 125.00 last month - and I live in an apartment.
It cost now more than my heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area