Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

We are looking for ideas for flooring for a large basements space that will function as playroom/family room/game room, ect. Currently it is a concrete slab. I would like to use cork and my husband likes carpet. We know we won't get all our money back but I don't want to put something in that is a total waste of money in terms of resale. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM

298 posts, read 595,922 times
Ever had any water problems? If so, I would address that first. I would hate to see a nice basement ruined by even a little water and all the complications that go along with it.

I know that wasn't what you wanted to know but, it's a thought.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
If resale is a concern, go for carpet. I don't know what price range you are in, but most people seem to like carpet in the basement around here.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM

We haven't had the house long, but we were told there were never any water issue and the home inspector didn't find any symptoms of water damage.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaccrimmon View Post
We haven't had the house long, but we were told there were never any water issue and the home inspector didn't find any symptoms of water damage.
Sounds like you are good to go then...have fun!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 33,878 times
I'm with you on the cork if just for personal enjoyment, but I don't really know anyone who has that in the basement here. I certainly understand your worry about not getting back your money. But if you decide to go for it, post some pictures here so I can see it!!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Sounds nice - but double-check re water in the basement and ask your new neighbors first. The realtor told the nice new family next door that their newly remodeled, newly purchased house had no water issues, while everyone on the downhill end of our street has had multiple experiences of flooded basements in recent years. The new neighbors had to tear out and discard basement wall-to-wall carpet after their first flooded basement experience.

Much of Lexington has had similar experiences, due to suburban sprawl, poor understanding of karst topography and related issues, and inadequate storm sewers which were poorly maintained for years. We're now literally paying for the carelessness of the past.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM

We did the 48 "plastic test" in 3 different areas of our basement during the past two days of rain and snow). So far there haven't been any signs of condensation. We taped 2sq ft 3.5 ml plastic to the concrete, like one of the local flooring places told us to do. Any ideas if this is a good enough test?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM

Do you have any way of finding out if the footer has drainage pipes inside and outside the footer? Is the house built on a level lot and does it have sufficient slope to drain away from the footer? The basement footer is probably as much as 10ft deep. I don't want to discourage you but it's things you need to know. Basements can be an asset or they can be a pain in the asset but, if constructed correctly and on the right lot they will work. I would ask the Realtor if he/she has any information on who built the house. I have known of a lot of basements that had water problems but, they were just holes in the ground without any way of letting water out of the hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area