U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times

Advertisements

It seems like talk of replacing Rupp Arena has intensified lately, probably due to the new arena in Louisville. I think part of the issue is UK would like to have revenue producing corporate suits and lounge areas without reducing the number of paid seats.

1. Does Rupp Arena need to be replaced?

2. If yes, then where should the new arena be built - somewhere downtown, on campus, or somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
That new arena in Louisville sure has a lot of rumors going around. Such as the Sacramento Kings coming to Louisville.

Anyway, no I don't think Rupp needs replaced yet.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 PM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times
The whole "Kings to Louisville" thing was started by two dudes who created a Facebook group promoting the idea. No one in the NBA or Louisville business community has promoted the idea. There are other cities in a much better position to get an NBA team. Seattle has been promised a new team, Vancouver just finished a new arena, and there's always Las Vegas.

The NBA has been a major flop in Memphis (a city that is a near mirror image of Louisville), so I doubt anyone is eager to move a team to another small market that prefers its college team.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM

308 posts, read 540,947 times
Well, Rupp was built ...in the 70's? It has been renovated somewhat since that time. What is the life of a facility like this, as far as maintenance and upkeep goes? Has it come to that point yet? Who owns Rupp? Can the owners afford to loose the Cats? What would happen to Rupp if the Cats went somewhere else? I think Rupp has been good for the Cats and the Cats has been good for Rupp. I would hate to see Rupp become a looser in the deal.

Does Rupp NEED to be replaced...probably not. Will it be replaced...probably will. UK Basketball, if I am correct is pretty much self supporting, so I have been told. If that is the case and if they can come up with the money (without raising ticket prices, tuition and paying for the air you breath) and pay it back in a reasonable length of time, why not? (see questions in first paragraph) If it is replaced I think it should be on campus. I don't think downtown is a good place for two big reasons...traffic and parking especially if it will hold more people. Somewhere else is out of the question for me, it should be on campus where it belongs.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Taxpayers would pick up the bill, not UK. They just lease it for their sports venues.

Do I think the case will be made to replace it? Yes, there is always a motive to one up other programs & make even more money, especially now that U of L rolled out a new arena

Do I think it needs to be replaced? Not now

Where would they replace it? Not sure but I would hate to see it move away from downtown so I hope that won't be the case

Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 6,167,918 times
What would be the motivation? To provide more seats? UK annually has the #1 average attendance in college basketball. I think Rupp is already about the limit of what you can have for a basketball game. Would it enhance recruiting? UK has had the #1 recruiting class the past 2 years, so obviously Rupp is not hindering that.

UK basketball should never leave downtown IMO. It would kill DT to lose those 20 high revenue nights each year. Plus, what happens to Rupp if they build off campus? Does the on campus venue compete for events and further pull revenue from DT? Lexington cannot support 2 large arenas. Furthermore, DT is not that far from campus. I regularly walked to games at Rupp from the north end of campus where I lived. In fact, it was much closer to walk to Rupp than it was to walk to the south end of campus to Commonwealth.

If a new arena is built, it is purely because of ego. A new arena is not needed, particularly an on campus one. UK and DT have worked together since Todd has become president to enhance the relationship and connection between campus and DT. Building an on campus arena would reverse much of those gains.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,758,364 times
If they ever built an arena outside of downtown that would be a huge mistake, but I'm sure they already know that. Do we need a new one just because Louisville has a new one? Umm no.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Update to the thread

Talks are heating up again w/Gray in office

Gray Announces Task Force to Study Options for Rupp, Lexington Center Land (http://www.bizlex.com/Articles-c-2011-03-29-97350.113117-Gray-Announces-Task-Force-to-Study-Options-for-Rupp-Lexington-Center-Land.html - broken link)

Wouldn't be surprised to see plans for a new arena when it is all done

Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 PM

898 posts, read 1,667,125 times
I would personally prefer that the money be spent on upgrading and expanding Commonwealth Stadium. I think it would do more for the image of the university to have an 80,000 seat stadium with all the amenities for football.

Renovating or building a new Rupp Arena makes me a little nervous as well. I feel we have one of the most awe-inspiring arenas in the country due to its shear size and how open it feels. It's also intimidating because there can be 24,000+ people in there on game nights. Will a new arena lose some of that feel? Will the number of people able to be seated be dramatically cut in order to give everyone a chair seat and in order to have luxury suites? I would hate to have a brand new arena and then lose the designation of having the largest crowds in college basketball.

If we do build a new arena I would want it to be downtown. While I think they'll put in on the parking lot adjacent to the current Rupp, I think another good area would be on High Street around Upper or Limestone since that basically borders campus and downtown.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 AM

There is an empty plot of land where the new skyscraper was supposed to go but from what I know financing is out of the question now with the "new" economy

I'm sure something could be moved there if need be

Kind of disagree on the football vs new area downtown

A new arena would at least include & attract other venues + I'm not sure UK football could draw 80k a game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area