U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM

146 posts, read 245,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
The problem is we're set up to be gas-whores by design. The road & highway system, the suburbs & sprawl, the less walkability & deteriorated urban cores, the dismantling of our passenger railroad system back in the day, etc is all done to KEEP YOU USING GAS, and lots of it.

Don't think for a minute the Government, Tea Party, or anyone else gives 2 craps about you & getting you off of gas. It starts with changing your lifestyle for one.

-Quit giving your money to auto manufacturers who aren't pushing the "green" envelope.
-Choose to live in more walking & biking friendly parts of town & support those businesses in those areas instead of going to Wal-Mart for everything.
-Everyone in your family doesn't need their own car. Find a way to share & make it work.
-Choose to live & work in areas with decent public transportation.
-Consider an efficient motorcycle or scooter to pick up the slack.
-And if your town isn't conscious of any of these things or doesn't care about them & lives & breathes everything automobile, then leave & find a town that does.

If more people just made more of an effort & were more conscious of this stuff instead of just bitching every time gas goes up, it would really make a difference. And a lot of the private industry is really pushing out greener, cheaper & more sustainable technologies. Yeah, we really haven't been done any favors with this stuff seeing that big oil & the auto industry has pretty much killed any other means of decent transportation & has a stranglehold on us all, but its not completely hopeless.

Speak with your dollars & lead by example. And certainly don't bet your livelihood on some god damn greedy oil company to not try to gouge you every chance they get, cause they will. Best thing to do is to cut them out of the equation as much as you possibly can.

And, where exactly would our food supply come from if we all lived in town?

Sorry, but some of us have to live in the rural areas without public transportation, in order to provide food for those of you living in the cities that can walk everywhere...ya still gotta eat!

I'm also sorry to say that the cost of farming is going up at an alarming rate due to the high cost of oil/gas. It all trickles down to the consumer no matter where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgal View Post
And, where exactly would our food supply come from if we all lived in town?

Sorry, but some of us have to live in the rural areas without public transportation, in order to provide food for those of you living in the cities that can walk everywhere...ya still gotta eat!

I'm also sorry to say that the cost of farming is going up at an alarming rate due to the high cost of oil/gas. It all trickles down to the consumer no matter where they live.
Well, that's a global problem with the way we farm now isn't it. Everything is industrialized, uses tons of pesticides, and gigantic machines to do all the work. That all = a sh*tload of oil. Do you know many individuals with a farm these days?? Neither do I. But back in the day, everybody farmed. Or at least grew food on their own land.

The point is, we need to get more localized again & start getting things from our own towns/communities, instead of having it grown god knows where & then trucked in from god knows where. That takes a ton of energy, so of course its gonna be at the mercy of unstable oil prices.

And there are also such things as "urban farms". Read up on it. Where I live in FL, there is an historic urban neighborhood who has a community farm they made out of a bunch of vacant lots. All the residents in the neighborhood pay a small fee & get access to whatever they want. Pretty neat, eh.

BTW, none of this or what I wrote earlier that you quoted is gonna get you off of oil 100% of course, but it'll sure as hell help TONS. Its just gonna take a little bit of effort & some ingenuity to combine some old ways with some new ways. We certainly cant keep going the way we are. Its impractical & unsustainable. Thats not hippie talk, its just commonsense.

I dont know about you, but Im kinda tired of having some Arab yahoo or some shady oil speculators taking money outta me & my family's pockets over BS.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM

146 posts, read 245,233 times
KerryB, we do farm on a small scale. That's why we know that things are getting very expensive for us and we're not sure how much longer we can continue. We don't have any fancy farm equipment, most of our work is done the old fashioned work...with our sweat! But, we have to have an outlet to sell our stuff and that means driving to the market...which happens to be 40 miles away!

Lexington has a great totally local and homegrown market...The Bluegrass Farmers' Market. Everything is 100% homegrown or produced by the farmer. So, folks can shop for guaranteed locallly grown/produced if they want to. Or they can shop at grocery/box stores or venture to the festival type market downtown. They do not guarantee 100% homegrown, so folks might still be buying trucked in stuff.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsensesolutions View Post
Anyone enjoying these $3.50 gallon gasoline? I hear a lot of stories about prices going up and the excuses for it, but nothing about fixing the problem.
We were waiting for your common sense solutions

Prices haven't bothered me a bit

Went 2 1/2 weeks without filling up

Old vehicle died and replaced it with a Honda Civic

What do you drive and how far do you drive each day?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,126 times
My car with all the hills and traffic lights synchronized to make as many people stop on red as possible gets around 15 city milage, 24-25 highway. A little below average. See, I cannot afford another car, so getting a Civic or a Prius is out of the question. You're lucky to be able to go out and afford a car, because the majority of Americans cannot. It's the cold hard truth of 2011.

Some people are starting to wise up. Expect even more people to start protesting the prices when earnings are posted next quarter showing record profits for oil companies.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 PM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsensesolutions View Post
My car with all the hills and traffic lights synchronized to make as many people stop on red as possible gets around 15 city milage, 24-25 highway. A little below average. See, I cannot afford another car, so getting a Civic or a Prius is out of the question. You're lucky to be able to go out and afford a car, because the majority of Americans cannot. It's the cold hard truth of 2011.

Some people are starting to wise up. Expect even more people to start protesting the prices when earnings are posted next quarter showing record profits for oil companies.
Just lucky eh? I drove a beater of a vehicle that was far outdated (even laughable) for many years. I have worked hard to move up to a reasonable position in the corp world and regularly saved along the way.

I was asking to suggest whether or not it made sense to replace your vehicle. If it is paid for & older, you are probably better off just keeping it despite the avg/below avg gas mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area