U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 10,654 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am 24 years old looking to move to the Lexington area, How is the over all economy there? Here in Southwest Montana there is no jobs or economy (8000 folks in this town). I would be looking for low skill retail sales jobs. Is there a lot of those around? My entire family is from around the Midwest mainly Cincin. I would be making the move for that reason. Housing I am looking at spending about 10K on a mobile home.

Now for the bad news I 110% can not stand humidity, I hear it gets bad around there. About how many months a year would I be house bound living in AC and a dehumidifier? Dose AC and a dehumidifier work well to control the humidity? To me a perfect day is about 70 degrees and maybe 20/25% humidity.

Also how are the winters? Here in MT they can last for 8 months and often be -30 below 0. To me 35 degrees is a warm day, how harsh are the winters there?

Thanks for any and all info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,511,874 times
It seems to be humid any time it gets much over 75 here. You do get use to it though, just like anything. Our winters are usually pretty mild, but this one has started off with more snow and lower temps than usual. To me, it seems like we have several small snow storms, and only a couple of bigger ones a year. We tend to get as much ice as anything. That usually melts off pretty quick, but can make a drive to work rather interesting.

While jobs everywhere are scarce these days, I would imagine you could find something in retail or food that would work for you.

I don't know too many trailer parks around here. I am sure you can buy a trailer for that money, I would imagine you'd still be paying lot rent. The only decent trailer park in Lexington I have ever seen is just west of downtown near the cemetaries. Wish I knew the name......Anybody know it?? I needed to go to that one for business once and remembered thinking that it just seemed soooo much nicer that what we are use to in Lexington.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,549,861 times
I was raised in central KY and for a host of personal reasons, I don't intend to move back unless they are for limited circumstances.

Here is my list of pros and cons for Lexington, as I see them.

Pros:
  • The surrounding countryside is beautiful, can almost be emerald green-colored. At least, for 8-9 months of the year, that is.
  • Keeneland is a must see ONE TIME. The grounds of this world-renowned thoroughbred horse track are the most immaculately kept I've ever seen with the exception of a winery in Napa Valley.
  • The job market is stable. Not strong, but stable, which is better than what can be said for most of the country right now. Actually, I would compare the Bluegrass region's economic strength to that of Montana; it is hard to find a high-paying job and it's not a real strong economic engine, but with patience and perseverance you can find something that makes end meet.
  • The University of Kentucky's campus: Beautiful! (And this is coming from a UofL grad.) This is Kentucky's only tier I public research university. (Unfortunately, Kentucky doesn't subsidize public education as generously as most states, so UK's tuition will be considerably more expensive than at, say, Montana State-Bozeman on the University of Montana. But UK is still a good university and a huge boost for Lexington.)
  • Downtown Lexington is the cleanest downtown district of any city I've ever visited, including Chicago, Atlanta, L.A., NYC, Austin, etc. Some parts are so clean you feel like you could eat off the sidewalk. And they cleaned it up even more in advance of the recent World Equestrian Games.
  • Goodfella's Pizza in Downtown: Slices nearly the entire width of a human head for $3.50 (or something like that). And it's GOOD PIZZA!
  • Joseph-Beth Booksellers is probably my favorite bookstore I've been to yet.
  • Bluegrass Airport does offer direct flights to New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Charlotte for those quick weekend trips or all-important connections.
  • Easy driving distance to Louisville, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, and Atlanta if you get the travel bug for the weekend.
  • Plenty of eye candy. For me, as a guy, that means I get to check out plenty of hot women!
Cons:
  • So you come to Kentucky and expect Southern hospitality, right? I've never found that to be the case in Lexington. Try some of the surrounding communities (i.e.: Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Danville, Richmond, etc.) if you at least want superficially friendly.
  • I find most of the surrounding communities to be rather dumpy. If you don't want to live in Lexington, I recommend Frankfort (albeit rather dumpy in some areas), Danville (albeit a little distant) or Wilmore. These are decent small towns. Otherwise, Winchester (especially), Georgetown, Richmond, Lawrenceburg, Mt. Sterling, etc: no thanks.
  • The area is, in my opinion, actually kind of ugly for 3-4 months of the year. This is during the winter when the leaves have already hit the ground, there is no vegetation on the trees and the grass can be brown. Of course, it can be pretty when there is snow or ice. Which leads me to...
  • Icy conditions: All too often in the Ohio Valley, at least over the last ten years. And it can be a real b***h to drive on. You may be accustomed to 3-4' snow accumulations in Montana, but I'd rather risk that in a sedan with tire chains than to drive in ice even with a 4x4 pickup truck any day.
  • Winters: SUCK. Majorly. Usually cold enough to precipitate snow but without the substance falling. Just cold and blowing. Sure, Chicago, Buffalo, Burlington (VT), and Minneapolis are cold and blowing, but that snow can sure be pretty to look at. If I controlled the weather, it would either dump some snow or at least be 55 degrees and mild, but I can't control mother nature. Given a choice, I'd rather deal with hot and humid than cold and depressing, which leads me back to...
  • Hot and humid: Yes, and the humidity is the killer. Thankfully, it's generally not as bad as it can be down in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, for example.
  • Customer service: Maybe YOU can come to Lexington and make an improvement. It's not as bad as c.s. in other cities I've been to, say L.A. (West L.A. anyway), D.C., or even Cincinnati or Louisville. But there is room for improvement. And, in addition...
  • Customers themselves will need/want to have their hands held more here. Less capable of independent thinking.
  • Oh, speaking of Downtown, historic preservation and urban planning are foreign concepts. Well, really for the whole city. Research information about the site of the proposed CentrePointe project and visit Hamburg Pavilion on the southeast side and get back with me.
I suggest that you visit the area first and come to your own conclusions. I personally didn't enjoy living there, but there are many places far worse in the United States.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM

308 posts, read 540,947 times
Well...that perty much sums it up AGAIN...Kentucky sucks.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Well...that perty much sums it up AGAIN...Kentucky sucks.
Did you READ my entire post? I encourage you to if you haven't.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM

308 posts, read 540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Did you READ my entire post? I encourage you to if you haven't.
I most certainly did....my friend.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 AM

628 posts, read 1,101,908 times
OH, com'on!! On it's worst day, it's gorgeous in the Bluegrass area!! And once you get further down south to where there is little to no cold weather, you get a WHOLE lot more bugs and humidity!! You really can't get away from the no-leaves-on-the-trees dreariness, unless you go down to Palm Tree Land, where the humidity is off the charts!!

As far as trailer living, I am not at all educated to it, but have seen some nice "trailer parks" on the outskirts on Lex. on the eastern side by Paris and Winchester.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
OH, com'on!! On it's worst day, it's gorgeous in the Bluegrass area!! And once you get further down south to where there is little to no cold weather, you get a WHOLE lot more bugs and humidity!! You really can't get away from the no-leaves-on-the-trees dreariness, unless you go down to Palm Tree Land, where the humidity is off the charts!!

As far as trailer living, I am not at all educated to it, but have seen some nice "trailer parks" on the outskirts on Lex. on the eastern side by Paris and Winchester.
Hope you get to make it to Kentucky if this is where you want to be!

What is your interest here?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 AM

508 posts, read 1,357,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm5150pc View Post
Hello All, I am 24 years old looking to move to the Lexington area, How is the over all economy there? Here in Southwest Montana there is no jobs or economy (8000 folks in this town). I would be looking for low skill retail sales jobs. Is there a lot of those around? My entire family is from around the Midwest mainly Cincin. I would be making the move for that reason. Housing I am looking at spending about 10K on a mobile home.

Now for the bad news I 110% can not stand humidity, I hear it gets bad around there. About how many months a year would I be house bound living in AC and a dehumidifier? Dose AC and a dehumidifier work well to control the humidity? To me a perfect day is about 70 degrees and maybe 20/25% humidity.

Also how are the winters? Here in MT they can last for 8 months and often be -30 below 0. To me 35 degrees is a warm day, how harsh are the winters there?

Thanks for any and all info....
I don't understand why anyone would want to relocate for low skill, retail paying jobs and a lot in a mobile home park........

Maybe it's me

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 PM

550 posts, read 1,131,425 times
Weather? Taxes? Family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area