U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 13,028 times

Advertisements

We are in our early 40's and have lived our "dream" in southern Utah for 3 years. Suffice to say, it has become everything we could have wished for regarding scenery and climate. My parents both have taken ill (they live in PA) and I have received a fabulous job offer which will require travel and we are considering KY as the place to live. The bad part is we have about 1 month to give notice and move our belongings sight unseen (maybe) across the country. Exciting, huh? Anyhow, we are thinking Lexington as I have a nephew living in Danville, who I would like to get to know better. Is Lexington nice? Progressive? I am not looking for a culture breaking community. We intruded here three years ago and as all outsiders are treated here, we're ready to leave. Much of the treatment and lack of social openness stems from the Mormon religion...HERE. I have met folks who are Mormon from other parts of the country and they are great people. Even Mormons moving in here say it's weird...nonetheless. We would like to buy a nice house, say 1600 SF with some acreage (2?) close to the town but not too close. I need to be able to access and airport within 1 hour so that is a concern as well. I really need a Home Depot and some shopping areas would be nice. Crime is a concern! I know, I want it all, don't I? Really we want to move there in hopes we can meet people our own age and be accepted for who we are, not our religion. Can anyone give us some advice? Thank you all. Mark
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:20 PM

63 posts, read 298,029 times
I live near Elizabethtown, not Lexington, but I can tell you that here Mormons are generally accepted as part of the mainstream population. One reason is that Hardin County contains Ft. Knox and we have many different nationalities and religions here, and people are just used to a diverse mix of faiths and races. I would suspect that Lexington, with the Univ. of Ky., as well as other smaller schools there, would have a similar, or even more diverse mix. I just don't think that being Mormon would be a problem for you. I know it wouldn't here in Hardin County (Ft. Knox, Elizabethtown, Radcliff)

Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 AM

Default To be clear...

Sorry, to be clear, we are not Mormon. We live among a very thick population who do not want outsiders in their community. I guess my description is a little messy. Nonetheless, we want to fit in with whomever and be judged by out actions, not our religion..thank you though for responding...

Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM

63 posts, read 298,029 times
Sorry, I guess I misread your original post. I think I can say confidently that Lexington is a very nice place (except for some traffic congestion) and is very progressive. Many consider it the best part of Kentucky to live in or near. Have you visited there? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to "fit-in" to whatever degree you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 425,460 times
Yes. Lexington is progressive and very very congested with traffic. New Circle Road is one big bypass that surrounds Lexington and that pretty much sums it up. They shoved as many buildings close together as possible and it's fast paced all the time. I lived there so I should know this. People are friendly enough. It's not hard to make acquaintances but as with any city, there are a lot of snobs as well. People look away from you in public.

Crime is pretty high though. You wouldn't want to leave your car unlocked, ever. I lived in 2 different sides and saw crimes pretty often. Cop sirens all the time. The south side is considered the better side with higher cost properties with more civilized people. The north side is low income minorities mostly. Most of the crime takes place there. Strip bars are the hot spots in Lexington if that tells you anything. I recommend living somewhere outside of Fayette county myself.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,133 times
Default roadgliderider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadgliderider View Post
We are in our early 40's and have lived our "dream" in southern Utah for 3 years. Suffice to say, it has become everything we could have wished for regarding scenery and climate. My parents both have taken ill (they live in PA) and I have received a fabulous job offer which will require travel and we are considering KY as the place to live. The bad part is we have about 1 month to give notice and move our belongings sight unseen (maybe) across the country. Exciting, huh? Anyhow, we are thinking Lexington as I have a nephew living in Danville, who I would like to get to know better. Is Lexington nice? Progressive? I am not looking for a culture breaking community. We intruded here three years ago and as all outsiders are treated here, we're ready to leave. Much of the treatment and lack of social openness stems from the Mormon religion...HERE. I have met folks who are Mormon from other parts of the country and they are great people. Even Mormons moving in here say it's weird...nonetheless. We would like to buy a nice house, say 1600 SF with some acreage (2?) close to the town but not too close. I need to be able to access and airport within 1 hour so that is a concern as well. I really need a Home Depot and some shopping areas would be nice. Crime is a concern! I know, I want it all, don't I? Really we want to move there in hopes we can meet people our own age and be accepted for who we are, not our religion. Can anyone give us some advice? Thank you all. Mark
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would consider Florence/union,ky its 20 minutes from the international airport,low crime,friendly people and within 30 minutes from Cincinnati,Ohio traffic really not a problem and real estate is at a reasonabe price and shopping is near by

Old 07-15-2007, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,133 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would consider Florence/union,ky its 20 minutes from the international airport,low crime,friendly people and within 30 minutes from Cincinnati,Ohio traffic really not a problem and real estate is at a reasonabe price and shopping is near by

Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 PM

Default What about Oldham, Prospect, etc.?

What about the areas around Oldham County? We don't bring devil-worshiping or anything. We just want to be able to get around fairly quick and get to a nearby airport. Is Louisville good in those areas? LaGrange? Heard good and bad here....We need 1.5 to 5 acres so we would be further out of Louisville. What do you all think? BTW, thanks for all the replies!!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 PM

6,999 posts, read 15,133,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadgliderider View Post
What about the areas around Oldham County? We don't bring devil-worshiping or anything. We just want to be able to get around fairly quick and get to a nearby airport. Is Louisville good in those areas? LaGrange? Heard good and bad here....We need 1.5 to 5 acres so we would be further out of Louisville. What do you all think? BTW, thanks for all the replies!!
Those are great areas. A part of Prospect right now with a lot of buzz is Norton Commons, which is a suburban area being built densely like an old town with a main street full of nice shops and what not.

Norton Commons

La Grange is nice too and has a quaint main street downtown, but the part where you exit the freeway kind of ruins it for me.

Louisville has a covenient, cheap airport that is well located. from Prospect or La Grange, it would be 20 to 30 minutes with traffic. It has direct flights to many major US cities, but is lacking in direct international flights. Oddly, it lacks direct flights to a couple major west coast cities like LA and San Francisco too, but the advantage is the airport is one of the cheapest in the entire Midwest and South along with the airport in Indianapolis. Cincinnati/NKY international actually has the highest fares of any aiport in the nation!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:19 PM

891 posts, read 2,884,922 times
I've lived in Lexington my entire life and honestly don't know what cooldude is talking about. The traffic is really not too bad compared to other cities. It might take you 20-30 minutes from dowtown to get to the furthest outlying subdivisions. Lexington is laid out like Washington, DC; it's basically a wagon wheel with all spokes leading into dowtown.
Lexington offers something for everyone. You can literally find whatever type of community fits your needs within it.
Visit the Commerce Lexington website for a better idea of what Lexington has to offer.
As for crime I have never experienced any issues. I'm sure if you go into bad areas there are higher crime rates but these areas are easy to discern and avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area