Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I have seen data, and I am re-searching for hard copy documentation which I will forward to you as soon as possible. While waiting, please do your own survey. Go into the high crime areas and ask this question, "when you attend church, which church do you attend?" Then if they say _____ church, "how many times do you go there?" Then go to a low crime area and ask the same questions.

Based on comments in this forum and especially this thread, I see many thoughts which have no logic in their process. Just because someone "feels" or "believes" something doesn't mean it's right, nor does it mean it's wrong. I will also apologize to the non-churched people who have been run away by "Christians" spreading guilt rather than the Hope of our faith. Often those "Christians" including myself are genuinely only guilty of being human and giving gifts people don't know how to use. Gee, how I wish I could be perfect.
I don' have to do my own survey because I have observed crime as being more correlated to poverty.

And Tom, it may come as a huge surprise to you but not all non-believers have been run off by Christians. Some people choose not to participate in your choice of religion or any other for that matter. Many are perfectly happy with their choice and do not appreciate it when others push their ideals on them. Why is that hard to grasp? Spreading your religouis ideals and what it leads to doesn't belong on a forum anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:04 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
I understand your position. This is not a religious thread, and I don't wish to pursue faith vs non-faith. What I said, and I will repeat. Which came first the chicken (poverty) or the egg (crime)? As a real estate professional, every time there is a violent crime, as I can attest to a November 4, 2005 event, the value of property goes down. Faith based area's are generally much more likely to be law abiding and therefore opportunities for all are improved. In my experience, I have seen it happen time and again. A proving ground is the City of Shively Kentucky (40216) In what was just a few years ago a prime real estate location not too far from Churchill Downs in Louisville, it has become a place to escape from and the city's churches struggle to survive. So, when one is looking for a home, it is a "blessing" to buy in an area where faith is important to most of your neighbors. Experience...btdt

Old 07-26-2007, 07:14 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
Quote:
This is not a religious thread, and I don't wish to pursue faith vs non-faith.
Then why do you?

Every post I've ever read by you has to do with religion, no matter what the original topic of the thread. It gets annoying.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Because I respond to erronious information.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I understand your position. This is not a religious thread, and I don't wish to pursue faith vs non-faith. What I said, and I will repeat. Which came first the chicken (poverty) or the egg (crime)? As a real estate professional, every time there is a violent crime, as I can attest to a November 4, 2005 event, the value of property goes down. Faith based area's are generally much more likely to be law abiding and therefore opportunities for all are improved. In my experience, I have seen it happen time and again. A proving ground is the City of Shively Kentucky (40216) In what was just a few years ago a prime real estate location not too far from Churchill Downs in Louisville, it has become a place to escape from and the city's churches struggle to survive. So, when one is looking for a home, it is a "blessing" to buy in an area where faith is important to most of your neighbors. Experience...btdt
And your faith based stats are just pulled right up on the MLS? How do you judge the amount of faith in a community -- go to door to door?

Maybe the churches you refer to have been poorly managed. Maybe those churches have attendees who have less money to give than previous. Maybe there are just far too many churches in the area. Maybe...a dozen other reasons.

At any rate, I still have no reason to believe the faith based -- crime link is the major contributor to a good wholesome community.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:17 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
Quote:
Because I respond to erronious information.
No, you twist everything around so it can be about religion. (And by the way, it's "erroneous", not "erronious" -- since we are responding to errors here).

People who don't understand research get themselves into trouble by trying to infer causality when it is not appropriate. This mistake is made all the time. Your example of a survey would not prove that non-religion leads to violence. An analogy: If I were to ask a bunch of people with lung cancer if they drink alcohol, I would find that more of these people (compared to non-lung cancer patients) do drink alcohol. (And by the way, I would have to ask A LOT of these people before I could even make this distinction accurately). Therefore, by your example, I could assume that drinking alcohol causes lung cancer. But this is not true. People who smoke are more likely to drink alcohol, and smoking is what causes lung cancer, not alcohol use. But because alcohol use is associated with smoking, it could be (erroneously) concluded that alcohol use is what causes lung cancer, but it is really much more complicated than that.

As to what causes violence... non-religion does not "cause" violence, any more than poverty "causes" violence or minority ethnicity "causes" violence.

Sorry, but I think it is only fair to point this out. I do research for a living so I know what I am talking about, and am just responding to erroneous information.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
No, you twist everything around so it can be about religion. (And by the way, it's "erroneous", not "erronious" -- since we are responding to errors here).

People who don't understand research get themselves into trouble by trying to infer causality when it is not appropriate. This mistake is made all the time. Your example of a survey would not prove that non-religion leads to violence. An analogy: If I were to ask a bunch of people with lung cancer if they drink alcohol, I would find that more of these people (compared to non-lung cancer patients) do drink alcohol. (And by the way, I would have to ask A LOT of these people before I could even make this distinction accurately). Therefore, by your example, I could assume that drinking alcohol causes lung cancer. But this is not true. People who smoke are more likely to drink alcohol, and smoking is what causes lung cancer, not alcohol use. But because alcohol use is associated with smoking, it could be (erroneously) concluded that alcohol use is what causes lung cancer, but it is really much more complicated than that.

As to what causes violence... non-religion does not "cause" violence, any more than poverty "causes" violence or minority ethnicity "causes" violence.

Sorry, but I think it is only fair to point this out. I do research for a living so I know what I am talking about, and am just responding to erroneous information.
Ahh thank you. Someone else makes sense.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
Some of the Tates Creek Rd area is nice and some isn't. For a very blanket statement, I would suggest that you would want to avoid the older sections of the north side of Lexington, downtown and the UK area, and the Versailles Rd area.

Regency Rd area that was mentioned earlier is older, no amenities, but is very reasonable costs and fairly safe.

I might suggest you check Shillito Apartments. I know a couple of women that live there and it's fairly reasonable for Lexington. Plus, they have a pool and club house... nice pluses for the costs. It sits right by one of the largest parks in Lexington, is about two minutes from our largest mall, and about three minutes from grocery stores.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Some of the Tates Creek Rd area is nice and some isn't. For a very blanket statement, I would suggest that you would want to avoid the older sections of the north side of Lexington, downtown and the UK area, and the Versailles Rd area.

Regency Rd area that was mentioned earlier is older, no amenities, but is very reasonable costs and fairly safe.

I might suggest you check Shillito Apartments. I know a couple of women that live there and it's fairly reasonable for Lexington. Plus, they have a pool and club house... nice pluses for the costs. It sits right by one of the largest parks in Lexington, is about two minutes from our largest mall, and about three minutes from grocery stores.
Another good suggestion.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,508 times
I recently moved to Lexington for job relocation purposes. I find that most of the people are pretty friendly once you get to know them a little. Unlike the southern areas of the country it is not like feeling right at home.
There is a great nursery I happened upon out on highway 421 going toward historic Midway there is also a nice one on Nicholasville Rd. Community Gardening I have not heard about here but you could ask about it at one of the local nurseries. I have not spent alot of time looking at Apt. 's but I pay 600.00 and my own utilities for what I consider dumpy. I do however love the location as I am directly across from Uk hospital and college campus. Close to downtown and all shopping areas. I will plan on moving after winter.
The traffic is terrible at times but I got use to it pretty quickly and I came from a town of 5 traffic lights literally so I love the bustle of the city life.
However, everything can have it's perks the lonliness for me is very overwhelming. I am in commute between here and my home away from home 2hours away and it get's pretty hard. My husband and I are commuting because of my job opprotunities being better here but it is difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area