Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM

969 posts, read 2,806,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
I was asked why I don't care for the 'southern' lifestyle.

1) The accent. Very hillbilly-ish and after seven years I still cringe when I hear it. And the climate (should be its own number)... I love winter and snow and I hate endless humidity and no winter season.

2). The conservative social environment. This goes to religion as well as all other social issues. I was spoiled with living in an area where I could learn to be socially very diverse and liberal and appreciate all kinds of persons. Here it is much different. I'll leave it at that, although I could quote lots of examples.

3) The food. Very poor-quality restaurants... we still miss quality pizza (Chicago - and New York style) restaurants as well as excellent seafood restaurants. The supposedly "excellent" steakhouses here would not last a week where I come from. Plus they are way overpriced. The 'southern food' is very unhealthy and is all fried and covered with gravy. If I see another 'Hot Brown' on yet another restaurant menu I might scream.... heart attack on a plate covered with bacon and gravy.

4) The traffic. Horrible. I won't go on.

5) Education. I come from Iowa City, IA which has the best public schools in the nation, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. But I have been very disappointed in the school systems and teachers here. Many of the teachers that taught my kids in elementary school had horrible grammar and spelling. Just unreal and unacceptable for a teacher. Look at the national stats and see where Kentucky ranks... it is among the worst in the nation.

6) Drug abuse. The worst state in the country for abuse of prescription painkillers. Much more to be said - meth labs and so forth - but you get it.

7) Obesity and general health and well-being - Kentucky ranks among the worst states in the nation in terms of the residents' health, obesity, etc. More people here smoke than almost anywhere else in the US.

8) Economic health of the state - hypocrisy. The state makes its economic 'living' from bourbon and tobacco. Yet many counties are 'dry'. Even in the more 'liberal' counties I have to go to a separate store to buy a bottle of wine to go with dinner instead of being able to buy it at the supermarket. Hypocrisy and conservatism lives on and on.

I could go on but that's enough for now. It's just not my thing. I can't wait to go back to where I was welcomed for who I am. Here in Versailles, if your family hasn't lived here for decades, then forget it. I have friends who are transplants to Lexington who have told me they have experienced the exact same thing.

Hmmmmmm, you cringe when you hear our accents, you want to scream when you see a hot brown on a menu and you don't want to be around fat people. With all due respect, I think you might be your biggest problem, not us.

I don't know where you lived or who you interacted with, but all but one of my out of town clients that have moved here made friends easily and enjoy Lexington. They have come from California, New England, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Arizona.

I am sorry you don't like it here and hope your 5 years go by quickly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:18 PM

146 posts, read 295,111 times
Totally agree LEXpert! I am a New York (Long Island) transplant and I chose to live in Kentucky even though I could have gone "home" after my divorce. 30+ years later, I still consider myself a New Yorker, but my home is in Kentucky!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM

283 posts, read 1,022,234 times
Yes... I forgot "bleeding blue" and betting on horses. Uggh!

I figured that I would get those responses. No need to get defensive, KY folks. We all have our own preferences and opinions. Feel free to think of me what you want - I was asked a question and answered it honestly in terms of my own experiences and opinions. Bye y'all!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
you want to scream when you see a hot brown on a menu and you don't want to be around fat people. With all due respect, I think you might be your biggest problem, not us.
With all due respect, please don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I say "I did not want to be around fat people". I just think this state has economically screwed-up priorities. As a physician, I think health care and education should be higher up on the list of priorities for the sake of the state and its people as a whole. If you can somehow disagree with that, then I think that might be YOUR biggest problem. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:35 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
I was asked why I don't care for the 'southern' lifestyle.

1) The accent. Very hillbilly-ish and after seven years I still cringe when I hear it. And the climate (should be its own number)... I love winter and snow and I hate endless humidity and no winter season.

2). The conservative social environment. This goes to religion as well as all other social issues. I was spoiled with living in an area where I could learn to be socially very diverse and liberal and appreciate all kinds of persons. Here it is much different. I'll leave it at that, although I could quote lots of examples.

3) The food. Very poor-quality restaurants... we still miss quality pizza (Chicago - and New York style) restaurants as well as excellent seafood restaurants. The supposedly "excellent" steakhouses here would not last a week where I come from. Plus they are way overpriced. The 'southern food' is very unhealthy and is all fried and covered with gravy. If I see another 'Hot Brown' on yet another restaurant menu I might scream.... heart attack on a plate covered with bacon and gravy.

4) The traffic. Horrible. I won't go on.

5) Education. I come from Iowa City, IA which has the best public schools in the nation, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. But I have been very disappointed in the school systems and teachers here. Many of the teachers that taught my kids in elementary school had horrible grammar and spelling. Just unreal and unacceptable for a teacher. Look at the national stats and see where Kentucky ranks... it is among the worst in the nation.

6) Drug abuse. The worst state in the country for abuse of prescription painkillers. Much more to be said - meth labs and so forth - but you get it.

7) Obesity and general health and well-being - Kentucky ranks among the worst states in the nation in terms of the residents' health, obesity, etc. More people here smoke than almost anywhere else in the US.

8) Economic health of the state - hypocrisy. The state makes its economic 'living' from bourbon and tobacco. Yet many counties are 'dry'. Even in the more 'liberal' counties I have to go to a separate store to buy a bottle of wine to go with dinner instead of being able to buy it at the supermarket. Hypocrisy and conservatism lives on and on.

I could go on but that's enough for now. It's just not my thing. I can't wait to go back to where I was welcomed for who I am. Here in Versailles, if your family hasn't lived here for decades, then forget it. I have friends who are transplants to Lexington who have told me they have experienced the exact same thing.

I won't begin to address everything to which you object, but you really think we have no winter in Central Kentucky?? Hasn't your child been out of school for the last week, due to the weather? Or have you been out of town (or rather, out of state) for the last two and a half weeks?

It hasn't been above freezing in Lexington since very early on January 21. Two or three inches of snow are on the ground and will be joined by another two or three inches tomorrow. The lows have been well below zero for most of the last week. -11 F was the lowest thus far. This same weather pattern was around for a week about ten days ago, and will repeat next week, starting tomorrow.

Surely seems like winter to me.

About our accents: please read "The Guid Scots Tongue" chapter in "The Story of English". You can find or order it at the Logan Helm Public Library on Main Street in downtown Versailles (request it via inter-library loan, if it's not in the collection). It should help you understand why Kentuckians speak as they do - there are very good historic reasons going back well over 300 years, and it's very much a part of our heritage. No, not everyone here shares that accent - but condemning the speech of the many do because it sounds strange to your own unaccustomed ears seems like a very, well, limiting response.

I've never seen Kentuckians force Hot Browns on anyone. Sure, we suggest and recommend them - they're also a much-loved part of Kentucky history and tradition - but no one insists that you must eat them in order to live here.

Although Hot Browns are especially tasty when it's eleven below. That's Mornay sauce, btw, not gravy. Makes me wonder if you've ever even tried a Hot Brown, if you confused Mornay sauce with gravy.

Just don't tell Kentuckians that they're clogging their arteries by eating a classic Kentucky dish which you find personally distasteful. Live and let live - eat and let eat.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 01-24-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I won't begin to address everything to which you object, but you really think we have no winter in Central Kentucky?? Hasn't your child been out of school for the last week, due to the weather? Or have you been out of town (or rather, out of state) for the last two and a half weeks?

It hasn't been above freezing in Lexington since very early on January 21. Two or three inches of snow are on the ground and will be joined by another two or three inches tomorrow. The lows have been well below zero for most of the last week. -11 F was the lowest thus far. This same weather pattern was around for a week about ten days ago, and will repeat next week, starting tomorrow.

Surely seems like winter to me.

About our accents: please read "The Guid Scots Tongue" chapter in "The Story of English". You can find or order it at the Logan Helm Public Library on Main Street in downtown Versailles (request it via inter-library loan, if it's not in the collection). It should help you understand why Kentuckians speak as they do - there are very good historic reasons going back well over 300 years, and it's very much a part of our heritage. No, not everyone here shares that accent - but condemning the speech of the many do because it sounds strange to your own unaccustomed ears seems like a very, well, limiting response.

I've never seen Kentuckians force Hot Browns on anyone. Sure, we suggest and recommend them - they're also a much-loved part of Kentucky history and tradition - but no one insists that you must eat them in order to live here.

Although Hot Browns are especially tasty when it's eleven below. That's Mornay sauce, btw, not gravy. Makes me wonder if you've ever even tried a Hot Brown, if you confused Mornay sauce with gravy.

Just don't tell Kentuckians that they're clogging their arteries by eating a classic Kentucky dish which you find personally distasteful. Live and let live - eat and let eat.
Good grief!

First of all, I don't live in Firebrook.

Second of all, I did not make that post to put everyone in a defensive position about their well-loved state. I was asked my opinion and I gave it.

Third, I don't like the accent. I'm sorry - I just don't. I don't find it narrow minded as you said. I love the accents of the northeast and almost all other areas of the country. I just. Personally. Don't. Care. For. The. Southern. Accent. Just an opinion - no need to get upset.

Fourth, I feel (and the statistics back me up) that the state of health care, drug abuse, and education is sub-par compared to most other states. It wasn't meant to be an insult to you personally. Just a fact that impacts my desire not to spend the rest of my life here.

Fifth, the climate. Yes, it's cold here now, but keep in mind that I am from the Midwest and this is not typical winter weather for here. What I meant was that because I am from a different climate, I appreciate the more typical 4 seasons weather of where I came from. Almost always snow on Christmas, real fall weather compared to what I have experienced here, etc.

Sixth - No one forces "hot browns" on anyone. Yes, it's Mornay sauce. Wow, sorry to have offended you in such a huge way about hot browns of all things.

Not everything about KY is negative. That was not the impression I meant to give. Beautiful country. Many, many wonderful people. I was simply answering the question I was asked.

Sorry to have offended all of you.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Live and let live
I hope you will take your own advice.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM

For readers outside Kentucky who may be baffled by the Hot Brown references, a Hot Brown is an open-face sandwich created many long years ago at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. Two pieces of toast, one cut diagonally and placed on the outer sides of the other piece (the pieces of toast then form a sort of hexagonal diamond), are arranged on an oval plate. Next comes sliced roast turkey and perhaps sliced ham. Add Mornay (cheese) sauce, and top with three slices of red tomatoes and two pieces of bacon, arranged in an X and centered over the tomato slices. Broil for a while (I need to check the time and temp).

There are many regional variations of this very popular dish - this is my own version, from memory. It's served hot - even the oval plate is hot, and it's usual for the server to warn the diner - and contains nothing fried other than those two strips of bacon.

The Hot Brown is not exactly health food, - but it's not the worst, either, and it's certainly a very tasty, traditional Kentucky treat. Most Hot Browns served in restaurants are large enough to be halved, taken home in a bag, and enjoyed the next day. This practice halves the calories, too!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
For readers outside Kentucky who may be baffled by the Hot Brown references, a Hot Brown is an open-face sandwich created many long years ago at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. Two pieces of toast, one cut diagonally and placed on the outer sides of the other piece (the pieces of toast then form a sort of hexagonal diamond), are arranged on an oval plate. Next comes sliced roast turkey and perhaps sliced ham. Add Mornay (cheese) sauce, and top with three slices of red tomatoes and two pieces of bacon, arranged in an X and centered over the tomato slices. Broil for a while (I need to check the time and temp).

There are many regional variations of this very popular dish - this is my own version, from memory. It's served hot - even the oval plate is hot, and it's usual for the server to warn the diner - and contains nothing fried other than those two strips of bacon.

The Hot Brown is not exactly health food, - but it's not the worst, either, and it's certainly a very tasty, traditional Kentucky treat. Most Hot Browns served in restaurants are large enough to be halved, taken home in a bag, and enjoyed the next day. This practice halves the calories, too!
I've tried many versions, all the way from five-star restaurants in Louisville to small restaurants. Lots of different varieties, from my (albeit limited) experience. Most of the versions I have had were served with several (more than two) slices of bacon. Most with ham. Lots of time fried cheese grits have been included. Most come completely smothered in a cheese sauce, but I have also had versions which were covered in what was much more like gravy than cheese sauce (at least in color and taste).

I agree it's more than enough for two or three meals for sure. It takes up a huge platter.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Yes, I did identify your place of residence incorrectly - and made that correction as soon as I discovered it.

Just as you corrected your "gravy" reference.

I'm sorry you seem to be so distressed by local residents rising to the defense of things they hold dear, or offering explanations for the existence of things you dislike here (as in the accents).

For what it's worth, I spent three years in a nearby large city which borders Kentucky. Many of the people of this city had a very distinctive accent, one which sounded strange and very unattractive to me. But - I learned it was the result of heavy German settlement in this city, back in the 1840s, and it was part of the heritage of many of that city's residents. I quietly decided that I'd do everything within my own power NOT to pick up this accent, but became lots more tolerant of it in others.

I don't think any thoughtful Kentuckians are happy about the less than ideal states of education and health here. Have you read the local papers in the last day or two? Our governor is proposing a great increase in state funding for public schools, and his suggestions seem well-received thus far. Meth is a huge problem in many places, not just Kentucky - not that this justifies or excuses its presence, just pointing out that the problem is not unique to Kentucky. However, many of the daunting statistics concerning weight, health, education, etc. are negatively influenced by Kentucky's less wealthy counties, sadly, particularly those in beautiful eastern Kentucky. If you look at the same figures for the counties within the "Golden Triangle" (Louisville to Lexington to Northern Kentucky, just across from Cincinnati), you'll see something quite different and far more encouraging.

By the way, can you tell us if you've ever lived anywhere other than Iowa City and Versailles? Clearly, you prefer the first, and that's okay and understandable if that's truly home for you, and where you've spent most of your life. I think we all get that. But do understand that many of the regular posters in this thread feel the same way about the Bluegrass that you feel about Iowa City, and are distressed to find that others may feel very negative about a place they love dearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area