Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 21,652 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Lexington and my father is a well know reputable Lexington business man so I know a lot of people in Lexington. I highly recommend that you go to the Cravensrealty.com site. This is a family business. Mike Cravens has been a builder in Lexington since the early 70's and has held numerous positions on the Homebuilders Assoc Board and now holds a position on the city's Zoning and Planning Committee. Gayle(wife) has been involved with real estate and sales for almost as long as Mike and was in the banking and finance business previous to real estate. Their daughter is also in real estate and their son is a builder and is in historic homes remodeling and restorations. They are VERY knowlegeable about the city, housing and neigborhood developments, schools, etc., and the surrounding cities and would also be able to answer all your questions regarding closing costs,etc. I have known their families for over 40 years as our friendship dates back to our childhood. (contact Gayle, ref by Trisha)
strishas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,341 times
Wink Straight talk on public schools

Maybe people are getting sick of my school district questions, but I am so eager to move and to make a good choice of neighborhood! As I have mentioned my kids are currently elementary age and homeschooled, but I want to have a good public school option if we think that will be best for our kids. If the local schools are not good, then the decision is already made for us.

According to GreatSchools.net these are the rankings of all the schools in Lexington that got at least a 7 out of 10. Some of them I have heard of before and knew they would be on the list. Others surprised me. For example both Tates Creek (which no one has said is a decent high school in my limited research) is an 8 as well as Lafayette (which has quite a few strong supporters in my network of virtual friends!)

The other thing that I can't figure out easily is which elementary schools feed into which middle schools feed into which high schools. I can find that info as I search on http://lbarmls.com/ but only when I look at one particular house that I like. I have not been able to find that on Fayette County Public Schools | Lexington, Kentucky | It's About Kids!

I need some straight talk on what the best track is as far as school systems. Someone recently told me that I should worry most about the middle school. Although our housing budget is modest (under 200K) we are willing to wait for just the right house in just the right neighborhood before we buy.

Elementary Schools Ranked:
Veterans Park Elementary School public 10
Scapa at Bluegrass public 10
Maxwell Spanish Immersion Elementary School public 9
Glendover Elementary School public 9
Cassidy Elementary School public 9
Rosa Parks Elementary School public 9
Meadowthorpe Elementary School public 8
Stonewall Elementary School public 8
Lansdowne Elementary School public 8
Picadome Elementary School public 7
Dixie Elementary Magnet School public 7

Middle Schools Ranked:
Morton Middle School public 10
Scapa at Bluegrass public 10
Jessie M Clark Middle School public 8
Beaumont Middle School public 8

High Schools Ranked:
Henry Clay High School public 9
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School public 9
Tates Creek High School public 8
Lafayette High School public 8

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Finding the best schools

The reason you are having problems with finding out how the schools feed into each other is because of the way Lexington's school districts are divided. In my opinion, the best schools in your list would be Cassidy Elementary, Morton Middle School, and Henry Clay High School or Tates Creek High School. These schools feed into each other. You would need to check with a realtor to find out exactly where the dividing lines are for the district feeds. Ok, once again, I am going to suggest that you contact Gayle at Cravens Realty. You don't have to hire her to be your realtor but she will be happy just to answer questions about Lexinton for you. Call Gayle. You just might find out that you would like to use her as a realtor after all. She is a NON-PUSHY person and will go the extra mile to help you, I can PROMISE you that! I can understand your concern and desires for finding the best schools for your kids. I lived in the Ashland Park area and am familiar with these schools that I have suggested. I have had many friends with kids in these schools. Cassidy Elementary attracts many families looking for a great school, and some families seek housing specifically in that area just for the school, so that should tell you something about their reputation. My husband graduated from Tates Creek High School. All of the schools I mentioned have excellent extra-curricular activities, atheletic programs, as well as many academic groups and clubs that help to reinforce your child's education and connection with school and friends. Good Luck with your search for a new home and the best schools for your kids. I have been where you are with this situation several times and I know how stressful it can be. My kids are now 27 and 31 and all that has been behind me now for some time. Years ago I worked and helped teach in Dixie Magnet school and I know that it has evolved into an excellent school also. But you might not find exactly what you are looking for in feeder schools from it. But it really helps to do the research in making your decisions.

Last edited by strishas; 08-24-2007 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: to add title

Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM

26 posts, read 89,588 times
Micah Girl, thank you for such an informative post! We have similar questions as we contemplate a move into Lexington, and I have found a wide variety of responses on this board and others. Everywhere I have ever lived, there was a certain school track (elementary, middle, h.s.) that was "known" to be top notch, and Lexington seems a bit unclear. Just wanted to say thanks so much, as I am learning a lot from your posts!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strishas View Post
The reason you are having problems with finding out how the schools feed into each other is because of the way Lexington's school districts are divided. In my opinion, the best schools in your list would be Cassidy Elementary, Morton Middle School, and Henry Clay High School or Tates Creek High School. These schools feed into each other. You would need to check with a realtor to find out exactly where the dividing lines are for the district feeds. Ok, once again, I am going to suggest that you contact Gayle at Cravens Realty. You don't have to hire her to be your realtor but she will be happy just to answer questions about Lexinton for you. Call Gayle. You just might find out that you would like to use her as a realtor after all. She is a NON-PUSHY person and will go the extra mile to help you, I can PROMISE you that! I can understand your concern and desires for finding the best schools for your kids. I lived in the Ashland Park area and am familiar with these schools that I have suggested. I have had many friends with kids in these schools. Cassidy Elementary attracts many families looking for a great school, and some families seek housing specifically in that area just for the school, so that should tell you something about their reputation. My husband graduated from Tates Creek High School. All of the schools I mentioned have excellent extra-curricular activities, atheletic programs, as well as many academic groups and clubs that help to reinforce your child's education and connection with school and friends. Good Luck with your search for a new home and the best schools for your kids. I have been where you are with this situation several times and I know how stressful it can be. My kids are now 27 and 31 and all that has been behind me now for some time. Years ago I worked and helped teach in Dixie Magnet school and I know that it has evolved into an excellent school also. But you might not find exactly what you are looking for in feeder schools from it. But it really helps to do the research in making your decisions.
Thanks for the info and the PM! Your insight is so helpful.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmac View Post
Micah Girl, thank you for such an informative post! We have similar questions as we contemplate a move into Lexington, and I have found a wide variety of responses on this board and others. Everywhere I have ever lived, there was a certain school track (elementary, middle, h.s.) that was "known" to be top notch, and Lexington seems a bit unclear. Just wanted to say thanks so much, as I am learning a lot from your posts!
Glad to be of help. I feel like I am slowing feeling my way forward with this stuff, and I am looking forward to being able to visit schools in person.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Default schoolmatters.com

Just checked schoolmatters.com, here is a snapshot of some of the information I found...

Elementary Schools
Student Proficiency on State Tests (2006)
Reading Proficiency (%): Cassidy 81.8, Glendover 84.2, Rosa Parks 90.0, Veterans Park 88.2
Math Proficiency (%): Cassidy 68.5, Glendover 76.5, Rosa Parks 86.6, Veterans Park 94.0
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%): Cassidy 75.8, Glendover 80.7, Rosa Parks 88.3, Veterans Park 91.2
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Cassidy 11.5, Glendover 14.8, Rosa Parks 16.1, Veterans Park 16.9
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): All schools listed above - yes

Middle Schools
Student Proficiency on State Tests (2006):
Reading Proficiency (%) - Beaumont 77.0, Morton 89.4
Math Proficiency (%) - Beaumont 60.2, Morton 64.7
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%) - Beaumont 68.7, Morton 76.9
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Beaumont 16.2, Morton 14.4
Enrollment (2006): Beaumont 1,068, Morton 716
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): Beaumont - no, Morton - yes

High Schools
Reading Proficiency (%) - Dunbar 59.9, Henry Clay 50.2, Lafayette 59.9
Math Proficiency (%) - Dunbar 56.2, Henry Clay 52.7, Lafayette 50.7
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%) - Dunbar 58.2, Henry Clay 51.3, Lafayette 55.3
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Dunbar 18.5, Henry Clay 17.9, Lafayette 17.7
Enrollment (2006): Dunbar 2113, Henry Clay 1981, Lafayette 1887
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): All schools listed above - no
College Prep (2005): Dunbar - ACT average 22.7, 75% participating, Henry Clay - ACT average 22.2, 68.5% participating, Lafayette - ACT average 22.2, 69.3% participating

Last edited by crmac; 08-24-2007 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmac View Post
Just checked schoolmatters.com, here is a snapshot of some of the information I found...

Elementary Schools
Student Proficiency on State Tests (2006)
Reading Proficiency (%): Cassidy 81.8, Glendover 84.2, Rosa Parks 90.0, Veterans Park 88.2
Math Proficiency (%): Cassidy 68.5, Glendover 76.5, Rosa Parks 86.6, Veterans Park 94.0
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%): Cassidy 75.8, Glendover 80.7, Rosa Parks 88.3, Veterans Park 91.2
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Cassidy 11.5, Glendover 14.8, Rosa Parks 16.1, Veterans Park 16.9
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): All schools listed above - yes

Middle Schools
Reading Proficiency (%) - Beaumont 77.0, Morton 89.4
Math Proficiency (%) - Beaumont 60.2, Morton 64.7
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%) - Beaumont 68.7, Morton 76.9
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Beaumont 16.2, Morton 14.4
Enrollment (2006): Beaumont 1,068, Morton 716
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): Beaumont - no, Morton - yes

High Schools
Reading Proficiency (%) - Dunbar 59.9, Henry Clay 50.2, Lafayette 59.9
Math Proficiency (%) - Dunbar 56.2, Henry Clay 52.7, Lafayette 50.7
Read and Math Proficiency (RaMP) (%) - Dunbar 58.2, Henry Clay 51.3, Lafayette 55.3
Classroom Profile (2005) - Students Per Teacher: Dunbar 18.5, Henry Clay 17.9, Lafayette 17.7
Enrollment (2006): Dunbar 2113, Henry Clay 1981, Lafayette 1887
NCLB Information - Is this school making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) (2006): All schools listed above - no
College Prep (2005): Dunbar - ACT average 22.7, 75% participating, Henry Clay - ACT average 22.2, 68.5% participating, Lafayette - ACT average 22.2, 69.3% participating
Do you know what it takes to be making AYP or Adequate Yearly Progress? None of the high schools are making AYP?? That seems strange.

Thanks for the new website to check out and compare information.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM

No, unfortunately I don't...I was surprised about the change from elementary to high school on that. Hopefully there are some teachers on this board that might know??

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Schools/AYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Do you know what it takes to be making AYP or Adequate Yearly Progress? None of the high schools are making AYP?? That seems strange.

Thanks for the new website to check out and compare information.
AYP is the way the state reviews the school to determine if the students are meeting and exceeding certain academic standards (usually specifically in math and reading) and if they are improving their performance based on the established targets for the school year. The NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT requires all states to measure each district's and public school's achievement and establish annual achievement targets for the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area