Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM

458 posts, read 2,289,963 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the fcps.net website again and it seems to me that Dunbar and Henry Clay are really magnet schools and you don't need to live in their school district anyway if you qualify--is that right?

If so, then all this worrying about falling into their districts doesn't much matter? Or do they have a "standard" high school (which is desirable) and then a gifted and talented track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 04:45 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,745 times
They have magnet schools housed within them but are primarily district schools.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
They have magnet schools housed within them but are primarily district schools.
So does that mean that the good scores are artificially inflated by the gifted and talented kids, or are the "regular" kids doing well, too? (I know all these are artificial distinctions, but I'm just trying to figure it all out.)

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 PM

I wold imagine that the kids in the magnet programs do bring up the school as a whole. However, by high school it probably isn't that much as lots of kids that aren't in magnets take A/P classes too. Another factor is the percentage of kids in the magnets is not huge so they would have to be scoring off the charts to bring the entire school up a significant number. I am not sure if the individual school report cards have the breakdown of magnet vs non-magnet students. I have seen breakdowns but what I have seen is broken down by race, gender, and free lunch.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I wold imagine that the kids in the magnet programs do bring up the school as a whole. However, by high school it probably isn't that much as lots of kids that aren't in magnets take A/P classes too. Another factor is the percentage of kids in the magnets is not huge so they would have to be scoring off the charts to bring the entire school up a significant number. I am not sure if the individual school report cards have the breakdown of magnet vs non-magnet students. I have seen breakdowns but what I have seen is broken down by race, gender, and free lunch.
Well as long as non-magnet kids have access to the great college prep stuff, too, then it must be a good all around school.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 PM

My pleasure. Yes, non-magnet school kids have many opportunities if they are motivated and willing to study! TC High will be offering the IB program to all students that live in that district. It is actually not considered a part of the magnet programs since once the district kids fill up the spots they won't accept out of district kids anymore. I don't know how long this will take but it's an interesting approach. I believe (and you can confirm this via fcps.net) that Dunbar and HC offer the most AP classes.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,302 times
Regardless if elementary, middle, or HS, a student has to apply to be accepted to a magnet school the year before a school year. Depending on the school, there may only be a small number of students accepted. If there's a school you're interested in, you're much safer to live in that school district.

The most interesting things about the scores posted IMO is looking at the mix of the schools. There are some schools listed that have very good scores and you would expect, but other schools that come from a much more diverse background and some would expect lower scores I think.

On the HS, I'm not sure what rating that is that has the HS not meeting the state requirements. The only HS here that has been cited for not meeting the "no child left behind" rule was Bryan Station High School. They actually lost a large number of students about three years ago. Lafayette had approx 200 students registering at the last minute. Henry Clay also received a large number that chose to leave Bryan Station. Tates Creek at that time was on the verge of not meeting requirements, but perhaps they have made some positive strides.

All of the HS in Fayette county offer a variety of level of courses. There is a lower level for kids that need a slower approach. There's the "basic" level course. Then there's advanced classes for students and then of course your AP courses. So, within each HS, a child has the opportunity to find a level of class that is challenging and appropriate.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Regardless if elementary, middle, or HS, a student has to apply to be accepted to a magnet school the year before a school year. Depending on the school, there may only be a small number of students accepted. If there's a school you're interested in, you're much safer to live in that school district.

The most interesting things about the scores posted IMO is looking at the mix of the schools. There are some schools listed that have very good scores and you would expect, but other schools that come from a much more diverse background and some would expect lower scores I think.

On the HS, I'm not sure what rating that is that has the HS not meeting the state requirements. The only HS here that has been cited for not meeting the "no child left behind" rule was Bryan Station High School. They actually lost a large number of students about three years ago. Lafayette had approx 200 students registering at the last minute. Henry Clay also received a large number that chose to leave Bryan Station. Tates Creek at that time was on the verge of not meeting requirements, but perhaps they have made some positive strides.

All of the HS in Fayette county offer a variety of level of courses. There is a lower level for kids that need a slower approach. There's the "basic" level course. Then there's advanced classes for students and then of course your AP courses. So, within each HS, a child has the opportunity to find a level of class that is challenging and appropriate.
Thanks for that. I like the idea that there are good options for a variety of kids in a variety of neighborhoods. My biggest concern right now is the middle schools because there seem to be fewer good ones to choose from.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 AM

I would have to say you are correct in that.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 PM

283 posts, read 1,025,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Thanks for that. I like the idea that there are good options for a variety of kids in a variety of neighborhoods. My biggest concern right now is the middle schools because there seem to be fewer good ones to choose from.
When we registered at Beaumont Middle School (before we moved to Woodford County) I was a bit upset because our registration counselor said that Beaumont was very crowded and many of the classes that my son wanted to take (upper level/advanced classes, plus the electives) were already full and overfull. But I loved the school and the personal attention -- even given the size of the school and that it was registration -- the principal made a big effort to meet my son in person. But upon registration the person said in some cases there were 35+ students per class, but that they would keep adding students because as a public school, they have to take the students that live in the district (as we did at that time, in our temporary apartment). But the school overall has good test scores so something must be going right.

To try to answer one of your previous questions -- Dunbar is one of the biggest high schools in KY and as such, the magnet students (in the math and science program) could not possibly, statistically affect the test scores because there are so many more students not in that program but in the high school. Dunbar has many AP courses and was rated very well among the top high schools in the country for AP courses (Henry Clay was also, as was Woodford County High in Versailles). The Dunbar area (and Henry Clay too) in general covers a real estate area that is economically among the highest real estate in Fayette County.

You need to live in the district to go to Dunbar or Henry Clay. The geographical area of Henry Clay includes the downtown/campus area. The geographical area of Dunbar includes some very nice, expensive subdivisions in or near the Beaumont area, but also areas nearby that are less expensive but still quite nice. If you want to factor elementary schools into the equation it quickly becomes very expensive real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area