Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I are soon moving to Lexington, and we were hoping to gather some advice about where to rent a townhome/duplex/small home in Lexington. Here's our info:

-Where you are working
I'll be a graduate student at UK, and my wife will be working on the east end of town for a non-profit.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
We would like to be able to rent for around $675 or less (not including utilities). We would like 2 bedrooms and preferably a fenced private yard like some townhomes/duplexes have (like the tiny ones we can at least let our dog out). We also prefer safe areas.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
We're flexible on this
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
N/A
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Probably the most important things to us in no particular order are: a small fenced yard for our dog, SAFE area, reasonable price, and not excessive commute.
-Community amenities important to you
Would be nice if there was a grocery nearby, but not a huge deal
-Pie or cake?
Cake definitely

We've perused the internet for options, and we did find some small townhomes/duplexes in the Woodhill area, but we have no way of knowing safe areas, etc. Our price range is pretty firm, and honestly the closer to 600 the better. I know this might be tought, but I thought there might be something we're overlooking. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
Not a lot of good choices for $675......sorry!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Woodhill has gone downhill considerably since those townhouses were constructed around 35 years ago - I'd look elsewhere. I had two friends who lived there back in the day. Their townhouses were well-constructed and attractive, with good floorplans - but there's been considerable serious violent drug-related crime in that area recently.

If you can increase your price range a bit, you'll find more and better choices in safer neighborhoods. You might see if there are any houses for rent in the Idlehour area - it's nearby and considerably safer, with modest brick Cape Cods with mostly fenced backyards.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
I just ran across this ad in today's paper: 943 Bordallo 2 bed/1 bath all electric $625/mo. (859)223-3989. It is a duplex in Wyndham Hills, which is a nice are on the south end of town.

Parts of Idle Hour can be nice, some parts you want to avoid. There are some really low end apartments at the front of the neighborhood near Richmond Road. There are also some rough areas in the very back. About the only part of Idle Hour I usually recommend to clients is in the middle, mainly the streets running north to south around the school. Those are the cape cods that CraigCreek was talking about. I've got links to the crime map and sex offender registry on my Wordpress blog at Real estate from the LEXpert's perspective that you probably shoud check for any place before signing a lease!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
You might also want to check out the first couple of blocks of the Bassett Avenue, Lincoln Avenue, etc. area, leading back from Richmond Road on up towards Mentelle Park.

These are nice little bungalows, older houses but many of which have recently been renovated. It's a very convenient neighborhood with mature trees, and lots of flower gardeners have really spruced up the smallish front yards in this established neighborhood. One warning: as you drive farther back from Richmond Road, the houses become much smaller and less well-maintained - I would not recommend this area, but if you stay within the first two or three blocks, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area