Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM

117 posts, read 182,272 times

Advertisements

Okay just a couple of questions PLEAAAASE...

1) What part of Lexington, KY is the worse North, South, East or West

2) What part of Lexington, KY would you recom a single middle class parent to move to...North, South, East or West.

3) If you were born and raised in Lexington, KY and you had a choice to move to another city/state. Where would you choose and why? (love good input on these questions)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 PM

969 posts, read 2,808,620 times
We have good and bad areas scattered all over Lexington. When you say worse, I assume you mean crime? If so, check out this link: Citizen's Crime Watch Home Page

The schools seem to be most desirable on the SW part of town. I usually recommend to my clients the NE, E, S and SW part of town just for a good mix of resale potential, shopping and schools. That is the area from Winchester Rd south all the way over to Harrodsburg Road. It just really depends on price range, what a person wants to be close to, etc. Tell us more about your needs and we can recommend some neighborhoods.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

117 posts, read 182,272 times
Thank you LexPert for your reply. All I would really like when I relocate is a low-crime living area where my 5 year old can go out in the front and play or close to parks so we can walk the neighborhood. Whatever happen to those days... I like how clean Lexington looks in some pictures I've seen and the research I've done online. And I like the fact that they have 1bedroom apts less then $500....but any other information you would like to share would be awesome..pertend you are talking to a close friend who said she's thinking about moving to Lex (smile) what advice would you give. Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:06 PM

891 posts, read 3,043,362 times
I was born and raised in Lex and chose to never leave. I grew up on the North end of town and while I don't regret growing up there I would never choose to go back. I've lived in Kenwick, Meadowthorpe, Stonewall, Ashland Park and now Lakeshore. I won't live outside of New Circle Rd again. I find it the most convenient way to live.
The only place I've ever been tempted to move to is North Carolina. I love all the outdoor activities and the beauty of the mountains along with proximity to the ocean.
Lexington is a great place to raise a family. There are plenty of activities for kids and some great schools. I would personally avoid the north and west ends of town.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,086,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpoon View Post
Okay just a couple of questions PLEAAAASE...

1) What part of Lexington, KY is the worse North, South, East or West

2) What part of Lexington, KY would you recom a single middle class parent to move to...North, South, East or West.

3) If you were born and raised in Lexington, KY and you had a choice to move to another city/state. Where would you choose and why? (love good input on these questions)

Thank you!
1. My favorite area is the north side and some of the east side as it is diverse and has a unique housing stock. This area would include north of center and the Versailles road corridor. These are more "dangerous" but also have the most character. Central Lexington, around campus and downtown, is also very nice.

2. I'd look at the areas just east and southeast of the UK campus, particularly surrounding Cooper Drive, perhaps the Ashland neighborhood.

3. I've been here for a while and I'm a die hard great laker... My answer to this is obvious. If I were born here I could see myself liking Northern Kentucky a little more, as I currently do.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM

969 posts, read 2,808,620 times
If your budget is around $500 a month for an apartment, I don't think you'll be able to find anything in the neighborhoods that have been recommended. I know neighborhoods and single family homes very well, but I don't know much about apartment complexes. So, my advice is going to be pretty general: I'd see if there is anything in the 40502 (some of Lakeshore and Fontaine can be rough-as well as Wilfant Drive in Idle Hour), 40503, 40509 (Except around Woodhill and the area behind Lowe's), 40513, 40514, 40515 zip codes. The 40517 zip code offers the most apartments and townhouses. It is a nice location too. I would avoid around Winter Garden and Snow Road.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,816,783 times
The Southland Twin Oaks area is nice, but has few apartments. Otherwise, it would meet your requirements: close to schools, shopping, parks, and churches. There are some modestly priced older apartments and duplexes along Harrodsburg Road just past what was Turfland Mall and in Garden Springs (not Gardenside).

With a young child, I'd avoid the UK/downtown area and look for neighborhoods with young families instead.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,190 times
Apartments in Lexington, KY- The Creeks on Lansdowne I think this place would be perfect.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,086,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The Southland Twin Oaks area is nice, but has few apartments. Otherwise, it would meet your requirements: close to schools, shopping, parks, and churches. There are some modestly priced older apartments and duplexes along Harrodsburg Road just past what was Turfland Mall and in Garden Springs (not Gardenside).

With a young child, I'd avoid the UK/downtown area and look for neighborhoods with young families instead.
There's nothing wrong with raising your child in a setting where they're exposed to other people. Beats an isolated McMansion childhood, for sure.

Half of the kids out of the 'burbs these days can't even make eye contact with other humans. If you're a decent parent there's nothing wrong with urban living in Lexington. It's one of the few appealing things about this place.

In fact, Lexington should market its downtown as a place that is still family friendly unlike many. Great schools, great people, great places.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,540,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
There's nothing wrong with raising your child in a setting where they're exposed to other people. Beats an isolated McMansion childhood, for sure.
So you'd raise a family next to a large university like UK?? With all that goes on in those type areas?? Yeah, I'd pick a whole lot of other areas in Lex to live if I had a family, not a good environment. Again, someone that is just 20 (as I suspect you are) wouldn't know about this stuff....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area