Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:59 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
It must be awful being you. A totally nattering nabob of negativity.

Bite the bullet. You're stuck in Lexington. Adapt or be miserable. You choose to complain on the net instead of taking advantage of things the area has to offer.

You're a BB fan and where is the best college for BB? UK. You should be in BB heaven!

Pick up a basketball, go ride a horse. Experience Lexington and quit whining!

Apologies to the OP. Too far off topic.
...because one can't use the internet AND not use the internet at various times during the course of the day

Again, "adapt or be miserable" shouldn't be the way it is. It's not the way other places are. Most places aim for continuous, positive change. The Lexington attitude is one of stagnation and happy hopelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
My gf came down this weekend and thought the Castle was the coolest thing ever! LOL I'm serious. She's seriously considering spending $192 to stay there some time. That's the cheapest room available in the Castle's hotel, although the same room goes for $355 on weekends.

I wish either Louisville or Lexington had a large municipal art museum other than just each public university having one. Maybe they could combine the UK and U of L/ Speed art museums in Waddy Peytona name it the LouisTucky Municipal Art Museum.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
UKUKUK, you are invested in your negativity and have a very closed mind. Sad in one so young.

Music in and around Lexington includes everything from classical orchestral music, chamber music, bluegrass, traditional old-time (related to but not the same as bluegrass), brass bands, New Age, big band, top of the pops, rock, country, hip-hop, singing ranging from operatic to folk groups and individuals to barbershop harmony to the Lexington Singers to gospel to shape note, both modern and traditional church music, sung and played on everything from pipe organs and grand pianos to electric guitars and drums...

Music can be found everywhere you look in and around Lexngton, from formal concerts and recitals to participatory events to operas and musical theater to churches to festivals to gatherings in people's homes.

Your claim that there's no breadth of range in Lexington's music is just ignorant. And if you're that ignorant and entrenched about music, I have to question the validity of your claims re. other cultural forms and activities.

Are you aware that the Blue Grass Trust is presently offering monthly activities aimed directly at young professionals? Sure, significant historic structures exist elsewhere, but you've also complained about nothing of interest to you going on downtown, about not meeting enough young people like yourself and claimed you're involved in volunteerism, undefined as to where. It seems to me these BGT events would offer an excellent opportunity to both meet more congenial and interesting people and to make a positive contribution. Who knows, you might even experience the rare occasion of learning something new. It's sad to be so bored and jaded at such a tender age as yours...

No guarantees, of course, but if you're condemning without even giving it a try, you're just digging yourself in yet further.

There are twice-monthly weekend evening contra dances at ArtsPlace. LOTS of educated, interesting and lively young people, plus a significant number of experienced and equally interesting older dancers, attend these popular and reasonably priced events, all of which feature great live music and a brief beginner's workshop plus instruction before each individual dance. All dances are called. Most are contras, most are recently composed, but there are occasional squares and waltzes and once in a while (usually early in the evening), a mixer. Good music, good company, educational, good exercise. You don't need a partner to attend, anyone can ask anyone else to dance, or you can politely explain that you're sitting out and enjoying the music and ambiance or resting for a dance or two. Dress is casual and comfortable- wear leather-soled shoes that move easily, and if especially you're a woman reading this, wear flat-soled shoes that won't come off and a fairly long, fullish skirt or dress with a slip underneath. Fabrics that breathe easily are good - no polyester. Dancing warms you up fast. Take a shower before you dance, please, avoid perfumes (others may be allergic) and don't expect what seems to be dance-floor flirtation from a stranger to be anything other than role-playing, if you're a new dancer. People are being friendly and in 99 out of 100 cases, aren't hitting on you. No smoking, no alcohol. Don't drink before you attend. Some dancers go out in groups for beer and pizza or other snacks afterwards. Little kids will be bored. It's an individual call with older kids.

There's more traditional dancing in Frankfort and Berea. 45 minutes' drive, in both cases, not difficult unless there's newfallen heavy snow.

The Red Barn Theater records their traditional music radio programs on Wednesday nights, also at ArtsPlace. The public is welcome; the charge is small. More semi-traditional and old-time music is available on Monday nights at the Kentucky Theater, again at a modest charge.

No movies, hmmm - check out the Kentucky Theater's every-night-but-Monday roster. Their Wednesday night classics series packed the place this summer. It's a shame the old Ben Ali, Strand, and other downtown movie houses are no more, but thank goodness for the Kentucky Theater. Occasionally, art films are shown at the Lexington Public Library's central location, in the same jewelbox theater which also houses a wide variety of programs for various ages. I attended an outstanding - and free, and very well attended - presentation relating to a recent LPL gallery show there just a few weeks ago.

You seem to be far more attached to your claim that there's nothing of interest to do than to learning about and sampling the abundance and wide variety of readily available downtown activities which may not be familiar to you. When those are described by others here, you condemn them by claiming that similar things are better elsewhere.

How the heck would you know, if you haven't checked things out for yourself, with an open mind and a willingness to learn?? "Different" does not equate to either "better" or "worse", my friend! Nor does "large" equate to "better".

But I think you're not going to hear me now, anymore than you heard me previously. I hope maturity improves your hearing, and that you continue to enjoy being a young curmudgeonly grouse if you cannot perceive the pressing need to change your attitude. I'm sorry to say that with that attitude of yours, few others are likely to enjoy your company for long. Perhaps that explains why you can't seem to find congenial people and activities here.

I also hope that eventually you find that idyllic never-never land city you crave. I don't think Lexington and the Bluegrass, with both their virtues and admitted shortcomings, are ever going to be places you'll find happiness, but I'm not sure anywhere else will bring you long-term happiness, either. For that, you first must look inside yourself, and it appears self-examination is not your strength. Certainly some other place might suit you better than Lexington, just as Lexington suited me far better than did Cincinnati, where I spent three years after grad. school, when I was around your age. It wasn't for me; Lexington, with both its fine qualities and its openly admitted flaws, was.

I can explain why Cincinnati was a poor fit for me, but I'd never condemn the entire place and its people on the basis of my less than happy experience there. I am sorry you cannot seem to do the same for Lexington, and do hope you'll eventually become happier with others, yourself and your surroundings, wherever they may be.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-06-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM

To think that Lexington's offerings in music, arts, dance, theater, etc. as well as other sources of entertainment are even remotely competitive with those of Cincinnati kind of invalidates your entire post. Yes, we have them, but to what incredibly short end and in what degree of authenticity?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM

What's stopping you from driving up the road to Cincy, then? Like Lexington and Louisville, it is part of the "Golden Triangle" and we're fortunate that both of those other cities are within easy driving distance and easily accessible for daytrips or evening activities.

I'm heading to Cincinnati next Sunday, as a matter of fact, and am in the Louisville area every other month of so. They're great places, no argument from me there. Lexington is a smaller city but proportionally very rich in its cultural arts scene, more than are most cities of similar size. I participate in such activities far more here in Lexington than I ever did in Cincinnati, though it was a good many years ago that I lived there. Still...Lexington holds up very well, comparatively, if you make the right comparisons. And when you examine the area as a whole - i.e., everything within a two-hour drive of Lexington - it is very diverse and very rich in what is readily available.

How do you define "authenticity", btw? It's an interesting term to apply to cultural arts events. And have you ever sampled or would you consider sampling the suggestions in my previous post?

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-06-2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: clarification and expansion

Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I did not leave Cincinnati because of its, or Lexington's, "cultural offerings".

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
...because one can't use the internet AND not use the internet at various times during the course of the day

Again, "adapt or be miserable" shouldn't be the way it is. It's not the way other places are. Most places aim for continuous, positive change. The Lexington attitude is one of stagnation and happy hopelessness.
Continuous and positive change comes from within. If the city in which you live makes you the person you are, then you're seriously lacking character. Keep on whining, hopefully to deaf ears.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Continuous and positive change comes from within. If the city in which you live makes you the person you are, then you're seriously lacking character. Keep on whining, hopefully to deaf ears.
"GET WITH IT OR GET OUT" you mean? That's all you have to say

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
"GET WITH IT OR GET OUT" you mean? That's all you have to say
You live in Michigan? You do know that area (Detroit mainly) has the worst reputation in the entire country right? It's also the only state that had a population decrease in the 2010 census. So, why not worry about the problems in your own state? Which there are plenty in Michigan....

Old 09-08-2011, 12:38 PM

I don't live in Michigan. I did for a while and would much rather live in the highly prosperous Oakland County over Lexington's spread out, bland, cultureless monotony.

Also, who does it have a poor reputation with? Most outdoorsy types love it for the state's unparalleled natural beauty and recreational opportunity. The only people I know that dislike Michigan are bitter people addicted to warm weather... and if you don't appreciate a fresh blanket of snow, you basically have no soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area