Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM

98 posts, read 276,120 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Lexington, KY next weekend. I would like to know the point of interests or must-see destinations in the city other than the Bluegrass and the Kentucky Derby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM

891 posts, read 3,047,277 times
A horse farm tour is a must! Here's a link:
Horse Farm Tours in the Horse Capital of the World: Lexington, KY
Keeneland is another must see. They have Breakfast with the Works on Saturday mornings. Watch the horses b while eating breakfast.

Farmer's Market on Saturday morning at the 5/3 Pavilion. Plan on eating breakfast there. There's a great fried green tomato, bacon sandwich which is fabulous!

I would recommend downtown at night. Lots of great restaurants to choose from. There are numerous bars with varying types of bands. You'll get a real feel of Lexington

Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM

218 posts, read 635,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
You'll get a real feel of Lexington
I don't think that you can get a real feel of Lexington by touring a horse farm, hitting the track (when not in season) or dining in many of the downtown restaurants. There are many REAL Lexingtonians who have seldom or never done any of those things. I look at this as saying that I KNOW Seattle because I saw the Public Market and rode a bike to Starbucks for coffee.

Our points of interest are diverse and it depends on your interests as to which ones you want to see.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times
Kind of interesting.. I just started dating a girl in Cincinnati and she's going to be coming down next weekend, which got me thinking "where exactly on God's green earth is there to go in this place"? My destinations in Lexington are limited to Chick-fil-a, the gumbo restaurant, and the gas station down the street. So I began doing some Google research to find places to go in Lexington.

Basically I would sum Lexington up this way: its ace card is the plethora of important historic homes, its Achilles heel is the lack of any large museums, a zoo, or theme park. Lexington has the first bonafide "city" west of the Appalachians and also home to many prominent people in 19th century America.

How many cities can boast of having
* a house home to the first millionaire west of the Appalachians, a vice president, and a Civil War general? (Hunt Morgan House)
* a house where the best known First Lady in US history grew up?
* an estate belong the best congressmen in US history?

Within 20 miles of downtown are even more historic sites: Shakertown, Cane Ridge, Duncan Tavern, etc etc

Anyways, to sum up for the OP I'd say tour a few of these historic sites

Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,278,714 times
I'm a huge fan of the Horse Park, with it's beautiful barns and fabulous Museum of the Horse. But if you're not "horse-y" you may not appreciate it like I do!!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM

98 posts, read 276,120 times
Thanks for telling me little more about Lexington!

I've never heard of Keeneland. I assume it's a name of the largest horse farm.

I need to look up Shakertown, Cane Ridge, and Duncan Tavern since I've never heard of them either.

I'm surprised Lexington with its size is lacking museums and zoo. Even Knoxville, TN has them and it has a population of only 183,000.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,775,354 times
Downtown Lexington in the evening - restaurants, Triangle Park
Ashland - The Henry Clay Estate
Fayette Mall
Driving through horse farm country
Valley View Ferry

These are my top five picks.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 PM

102 posts, read 295,080 times
Nothing.

I enjoy living here, but I would not recommend anybody to come here to visit just to see Lexington. if they are into horses, then of course Keeneland.

Horse country is pretty, but it's not worth a visit. If you are going to fly somewhere to visit, go somewhere else.

I had to laugh that somebody mentioned Fayette Mall. It's probably one of the worst malls I've seen. To get to one end to another, you actually have to walk through a department store. Never seen something that horribly designed in my life.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Keeneland is a beautiful and historic race track, located on Versailles Road, across from the airport. Races are held during the spring and fall, so a drive-through would probably be enough, though it would not be my first choice for a Lexington visit.

The Kentucky Derby takes place on the first Saturday in May, at Louisville's Churchill Downs, not in Lexington. But many Derby contenders are born and bred in the Bluegrass just outside of Lexington.

As previously mentioned, the Kentucky Horse Park is outstanding - see their website (sorry, no link but searching should bring it right up). If you visit the Horse Park, expect to stay several hours. You can also drive down Ironworks Pike, through the heart of the horse country, if you turn east after leaving the Horse Park. Continue over to Paris Pike, then turn left and go to Muir Station Road. Turn east and continue to Windy Corner, on the corner of Muir Station Road and Bryan Station Road, for good informal lunches and delicious desserts. Or go back towards Lexington from the Horse Park, then take Old Frankfort Pike by pristine horse farms, and have lunch at Wallace Station, Windy Corners' sister restaurant. Both are very popular with farm owners and workers, but welcome everyone.

Ashland, the Henry Clay estate, is the jewel of the local historic homes, with many, many family artifacts (five generations of Clays and Clay descendents lived there), interesting tours, and lovely lightly wooded grounds with additional outbuildings, plus the Ginkgo Tree Cafe, a seasonal outdoor dining establishment with a limited but delicious menu, located in the old stable/smokehouse/carriage house building.

The Lexington Farmers' Market takes place downtown each Saturday next to the old courthouse, now a small local history museum, on Main Street. Right now, local corn, cantalopes, peaches, beans, tomatoes, and apples are in season, along with much more. A number of local musicians busk at the Farmers' Market - just put a dollar or two in their instrument cases. Free parking is available in the garage across Main, but be extremely careful - it's two-way, badly lit, and is narrow and filled with inattentive pedestrians. And please, leave any dogs at home. Far too many "accessory dogs" get dragged to the crowded Farmers' Market by their thoughtless owners, leading to unfortunate incidents (bites, fights, trips and falls, dogs mistaking baskets of vegetables for fire hydrants, tangled leashes, snarls at little children and other innocents - please folks, just leave 'em at home. I like dogs - but not with my produce, please. And while they won't tell you, being more polite than I am, the vendors don't like having dogs there, either).

I digress. Also downtown are the Hunt-Morgan House, in historic and lovely Gratz Park just two blocks from the Farmer's Market, and the Mary Todd Lincoln House, just up Main Street from the market. There are other downtown attractions, but for a daytripper, movies at the Kentucky Theatre probably need to wait for a longer visit.

Hope this gives you some ideas of how to plan an enjoyable day visiting Lexington. Seek out what's unique, read up on it, and prepare to enjoy your visit!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times
Ok, I'd say scratch Cane Ridge Meeting House. It's alright, but for someone just visiting for a day it should be really low on the list. I've never been to Duncan Tavern, although as a lover of Victorian Main Street America I'd love to some time. Just trying to point out the huge number of historic sites there are to visit in a metro of less than 700,000 people.

I also agree it's puzzling that Lexington has NO zoo and only one decent size museum (Explorium Science Center for Kids). I know Lexington is close to Cincinnati and Louisville, but seriously the market region for the city is still home to 1.5 million people. Dayton is a rust belt corn hole in the shadow of Cincy and Columbus but even it far outdoes Lex on the museum front!

A neat attraction not many locals are aware of is the live show of Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour. This is a nationally simulcast program that is only filmed at the Kentucky Theater every Monday for only $10 a person! They get some really well know folk/ indie/ bluegrass bands. You do have to call ahead for tickets and as I said it is only on Mondays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area