Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

I recently began working at UK and I'm looking for an apartment nearby. I am single, no kids or pets. Right now I'm commuting from about 45 minutes away and I don't know much about the Lexington area yet as I went to college in another city.

I would rather rent than buy at this time. My budget for rent/utilities is about $1,000/month.

What I'm looking for is a one-bedroom apartment, preferably part of a relatively new development in a progressive area, in/around downtown or near campus and nightlife... but not necessarily a student-housing development overrun by undergraduate students as I am in my late 20s and feel a bit removed from that scene these days.

Will I be able to find what I'm looking for? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,094,091 times
No. There are no progressive areas of Lexington when compared to other cities. Be prepared for disrespect and hate if you choose to commute by method other than car.

Also, nightlife in Lexington is dominated by the trashiest of trash fratnecks. You can't find a single reasonable-cost bar in the city to drink away the fact you're in Kentucky without being accosted by some idiotic tool in boat shoes yelling "DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT, BRO!"

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM

218 posts, read 635,582 times
Poor UKUKUK,

Someone who came to the university to find a progressive education and enrich himself. Apparently, after graduating, they now find that either the quality of education was insufficient (or the effort put into it was), the field of study has fallen from demand or quality jobs in the worlds best places are taken by others. They are now stuck in Kentucky and bitter, friendless and trying to bring everyone else down to their level on comfort.

This state will never live up to their expectations nor will this person work at creating a better atmosphere for others. UKUKUK wants a perfect community handed to them without putting any work into building or enhancing the current situation.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,693 times
I'm not surprised that Lexington isn't exactly a New York City, Chicago, Toronto, Seattle or San Francisco. But I hardly find it productive to relentlessly trash the area in which you live instead of trying to make the best of it since you're here anyway.

Now, does anyone have any actual advice for me?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
HI, Samantha-

Thanks for being understanding about those who post negatively, day after day, week after week, ad infinitum. I think Cartomanlex nailed it in his post above!

UK is located in an older part of town, so while a crop of new student-oriented apartment complexes has arisen in recent years, rentals for more mature young people such as yourself may be a bit farther away, and may not be brand-new. There are condos downtown, but while this area is experiencing some positive changes, it's not the most convenient place to live in several ways: downtown grocery markets are limited to a couple of small stores which have opened in recent months, on-street parking gets pricey, and parts of downtown attract a number of homeless people with problems stemming from substance abuse, mental illness, and unemployment. However, there are theatres, sporting events, attractive small parks, a good Central Library, historic sites, a Farmers' Market, restaurants and bars and more downtown, so it's a trade-off.

Other areas convenient to UK would include Ashland Park and Chevy Chase, both of which have extremely nice but older four and six-plex apartment buildings, with large rooms, hardwood floors, and walkable shady neighborhoods which are adjacent to the Chevy Chase Shopping Center, which includes a good-sized Kroger's Supermarket, a Rite Aid drugstore, several restaurants, the newly relocated Morris Bookstore, a good hardware store, and more. UK is about a mile from this shopping center and can be reached by car, foot, bicycle, or bus.

Ashland Park and Chevy Chase residents tend to be white-collar, well-educated people, and include singles, families, and older residents. Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, is located in eponymous Ashland Park, and its approximately twelve acres are open to visitors free of charge, nice if you enjoy walking in a beautiful place. Woodland Park is also nearby, but is a getting a little shopworn by overuse these days. It includes tennis courts, a skateboard area, playground equipment, a bandstand and occasional free musical programs, a baseball diamond, and a large public pool.

Check out the apartments on Fontaine Road, Romany and Duke Roads, Cooper Drive, and Cochran Road if this area sounds like something you'd consider - your budget sounds about right. Best wishes with your move.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM

218 posts, read 635,582 times
The real problem these days, is that just about nobody is building one bedroom units in apartment complexes.

What you may find is a number of larger to medium sized houses which have been converted to one bedroom units or the more prevalent loft style condos downtown. Lately the comments about them is that they are quite noisy and sound attenuates through the building quite easily.

Craig Creek is correct that Chevy Chase is available, but so are units to be found about the same distance south of campus along Nicholasville Rd. Traffic is worse but transit service is better.

Where you work on campus and the hours may well play a role in where you may find a good commuting schedule.

Best of luck.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,094,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
Poor UKUKUK,

Someone who came to the university to find a progressive education and enrich himself. Apparently, after graduating, they now find that either the quality of education was insufficient (or the effort put into it was), the field of study has fallen from demand or quality jobs in the worlds best places are taken by others. They are now stuck in Kentucky and bitter, friendless and trying to bring everyone else down to their level on comfort.

This state will never live up to their expectations nor will this person work at creating a better atmosphere for others. UKUKUK wants a perfect community handed to them without putting any work into building or enhancing the current situation.
Nah, Lexington's a lost cause and I'm out in 5 weeks! Merry Christmas to me!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM

19 posts, read 34,715 times
very close to night life and hospitals and resturants galore...
LBAR.com - Listing 1119550 - LBAR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area