U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,780,571 times

Advertisements

I was in Hamburg tonight and I swear people are anxious to kill one another out there. LOL What is it with the way people drive over there? It's usually pretty bad, but tonight it was worse because of all of the congested traffic and people shopping.

You know the four way area at the intersection between the Barnes and Noble Road and the side with the old Corky's BBQ area (the road heading to Target with the speed bump)? Well, it is very hard for people to come from the Corky's BBQ side and cross that road to get to the Barnes & Noble side. So, you have people coming across to just sit in the middle of the road to get a view at traffic to see if it is safe to cross. Then, the people on the speed bump are unsure of whether to stop for them or not. And the people turning into that road from Sir Barton are already speeding and almost end hitting those folks trying to cross.

Then there are the people who are taking a left turn from that road ONTO Sir Barton, often people run the red light there when it is really busy and end up creating a jam in the middle of that intersection. So, once a green light comes for the people coming from the Meijer side, it is too jammed to safely make it through.

What gives? LOL Is it just bad road layout or are people over there just driving like lunatics?

It was surprising that no one got in a wreck. I heard people yelling at one another and everything. Rubber-necking it when they passed. One lady was yelling at this man, "GOO! JUST ... GO!" LOL

I wanted to get out of my car and direct traffic. LOL It was THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 PM

Oh, I noticed a long time ago that they took down the bushes at that area near Barnes and Noble. It was always hard to see if any incoming traffic was coming with them there. People must have said something. It's just not safe over there, lol.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 8,822,379 times
Since I liked Hamburg Place a lot better when it was a horsefarm rather than a mega shopping center, and oppose destruction of Bluegrass on principal, I avoid it unless absolutely forced to go there for some essential unavailable elsewhere.

There are few things that essential.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 AM

218 posts, read 560,718 times
For me, Hamburg is easier to negotiate than all the traffic around the Fayette Mall and Nicholasville Rd. By recognizing that right turns are always safer to make than left, I will plan out a route which minimizes left hand turns. (Yes it is do-able.)

Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
For me, Hamburg is easier to negotiate than all the traffic around the Fayette Mall and Nicholasville Rd. By recognizing that right turns are always safer to make than left, I will plan out a route which minimizes left hand turns. (Yes it is do-able.)
Yeah, I had some people tell me about their experience over by Fayette Mall during this shopping season. They said it was horrible, but I remember that myself from years ago. It's just pretty dangerous how it gets SO congested and people seem to care less about driving right. A lot of people seemed in a hurry or they wanted to be the first to get a light or reach the stop sign. This happens on regular days, but it seems more than ever now.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM

969 posts, read 2,480,477 times
I use to feel that way when I lived and shopped primarily in other parts of town. Fayette Mall confuses the heck out of me since I rarely go on that end of town to shop/dine. I think it is all what you are use to.

To get out of that mess, try going behind Target and coming out one light down the main drag or by Midway College if turning right. Use the road behind Meijer and Liberty Rd as much as possible......That's what all us 40509er's do ;-)

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM

891 posts, read 2,789,384 times
Default hamburg vs fayette mall

CraigCreeek I get what's you are saying. I wish it were still a farm too. Having said that I have to admit I prefer it to Fayette Mall. It becomes so gridlocked trying to leave that I just don't go there if I can avoid it. That was easier before it got an apple store
I find there are many ways to leave Hamburg without the gridlock. My favorite shopping is in small locally owned stores

Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,673,200 times
I have avoided Hamburg since before Thanksgiving. That place is beyond crazy after Thanksgiving.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM

969 posts, read 2,480,477 times
Here it is Dec 23 and I left my house in Andover Hills, went to Barnes & Noble and was back home in 35 minutes with my wife's present. The problem with Hamburg is that 90% of the people take the same 2 routes that are left hand turns. As I left Barne's & Noble, the gridlock was terrible. I went behind Target and came out the road beside Babies R Us. I took a right, made a U-Turn and left out Liberty Road. While I was on Liberty, there were only 3-4 cars turning left into Hamburg. Hamburg is much easier to deal with if you know how to avoid the worst.

Lexingtongal and CraigCreek- Not trying to pick a fight by any means, but all the old neighborhoods/business areas you both love so much destoryed Bluegrass forever just as much as Hamburg did. Personally, I don't see the difference if this is really about preserving raw land. My dad is the wisest man I know. When everybody had the green "Growth Destroys Bluegrass Forever" bumper stickers, this is what he said: "Everybody always wants Lexington to stop growing just after they moved here." I have found that to be true. It would be nice if we could keep the farms around Lexington just as they are (or were), but that would mean telling people they cannot move here. That just isn't going to happen. I'm for responsible growth. The reality is that when more people move here, they need places to live, shop and work just as we all did when we came to town.

(Again-please don't take this the wrong way.....not a personal attack or call to battle. Just my 2 cents. You both are great posters and great Lexingtonians :-)

Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 8,822,379 times
LexPert, I have to disagree with your "it was all horse farms before...)" argument, but I do appreciate your courtesy and complimentary words.

My family has lived in our home for 60 years - the house itself is around 80 years old. When our family moved to Lexington from Louisville in December, 1951, the population was around 25,000. The great increase in population began in the late 1950s, and with it came inadequate planning and zoning, leading to many horse farms becoming cookie-cutter subdivisions and later, shopping centers and malls.

The older neighborhoods, such as mine, were planned by nationally recognized landscaped designers who retained many of the original trees (now up to 200+ years old) and architects and builders who incorporated diverse traditional architectural styles. Nowadays, though these neighborhoods are older, they have not only retained their original value but are considered highly desirable places to live because of their convenience and beauty.

Oh, yes, the "greenspaces" these neighborhoods - Ashland Park and Chevy Chase - replaced were originally part of Ashland, the Henry Clay estate, and Ashland on Tates Creek, the farm of John Clay (Henry Clay's son). Proximity to downtown Lexington guaranteed development, but the Clay family descendents did the responsible thing in ensuring that Ashland Park, and later Chevy Chase, were well-designed and assets to the community at large.

I cannot say that about most of the newer subdivisions which have been built during Lexington's growth boom.

Given the fragility and rarity of the Inner Bluegrass, seeing it destroyed by ill-designed, cheaply constructed urban sprawl seems a poor bargain at best. Given that the Inner Bluegrass horse farms contribute to our economy not only directly but indirectly, as magnets for tourism, sources of clean air and water, and additions to our residents' quality of life by their history and sheer pastoral beauty, seeing them disappearing beneath the bulldozers seems not only a poor bargain, but highly irresponsible.

And greedy. I not only remember the "Growth destroys Bluegrass Forever" bumper stickers, but those competing "Growth is Good" ones. In response to which, a third bumpersticker stated "Growth is Greed".

Sure is, when it's done irresponsibly and without regard for our irreplaceable treasure some hold so lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area