Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 14,321 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts I've read the past week and learned SO much about the Inner Bluegrass area! I am trying to do some research for a possible move to either Danville or Berea. My husband is under salary negotiations now, and we're trying to get a better idea of what life may cost in these towns.

Could you all tell me what to expect to pay, more or less, for the typical expenses for a family of 3? The basic comforts, let's say. Middle class. To be more specific, we are hoping to find a house with 3-4 bedrooms, 2-story, clean and spacious. I've not had luck on finding rentals online in these 2 towns, just homes for sale. Any hints? We may end up buying after a while, but will have to start out renting first.
What would we pay for things like utilities? Phone service? Is there wireless high-speed internet? Gas costs? (He'd be working in Danville, but I am also looking at Berea to live.) Electric bills?

The reason I have no clue about this is that I have been living and working overseas myself the past 10 years, so I know the cost of living has changed lots since I have been out of the US. Any ideas, and a breakdown of typical life costs would be so greatly appreciated! By the way, I am SOOO excited about possibly moving there! If we can negotiate a decent salary, then we'll pack up soon.

Oh, and Thanks for giving me a great first impression of Kentucky and this area online. Just reading the posts calmed many of my fears. We appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,596 times
Hi,

I have a lot of family in Danville. When I was looking at Lexington over the summer, I had a relative drive me over to a pretty cape cod in Danville on an acre. He emphasized that it was in a really good area, good schools, etc. It was on the market for around $180,000. I imagine you could do fine for less money as well.

I don't know about other expenses for that area. I was seeing some numbers on another website called Private School Review - Profiles of USA Private Schools. It was just showing some demographics for different cities. I think this site has that sort of info somewhere as well.

good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 AM

190 posts, read 812,155 times
Default Berea

This town has really affordable prices on housing as well as utilities. The electric comes from the college, as does the water and sewer. The gas is Delta Natural (cheapest around). If you are having trouble finding a rental, try calling Carpenter rentals. You may want to also sign up to get a newspaper, since that's where people tend to post for rentals.

The official website of the Berea Citizen

Although it is not online, you can get a subscription for a few weeks. People also advertise in the Richmond REgister

The Richmond Register - Homepage

HOpe this helps!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,691 times
Default Living in Danville

Finding a home will not be a problem. I know of a home that is 3 bedroom 2 bath for rent right now that is $750.00 a month. It has about 1400 sq.ft. which may or may not fit your needs but at least that may give you an idea. But there should be others. Cost of elec. would totally depend on your usage and sq.ft. of home along with location and if you will be on KU or RECC. But a ball park would be an average of $100 - 175.00. Water in Danville will be about $50.00 a month which in town would include trash pickup. Yes we have high speed internet in most places. Then when you are ready to buy look on danvillekyrealty.com (our site), realtor.com, or ckar.com which should allow you the opportunity to find the home that suites your needs.

GOOD LUCK
Tracy Wilson

Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 70,311 times
Both are great communities. I don't live in either so I am not biased to one or the other, but I have friends in both and visit them both often. Both are nice little college towns. If your husband is going to be working in Danville, I would move there. Why incur the cost of commuting if you don't have too. The city and county governments seem to work well together for the betterment of all. Centre College brings a lot of cultural events there. Boyle County and Danville are both good high schools with good athletic programs.

My friends tell me that houses rent quickly there. They say you pretty much have to be there to get them right away. The local newspaper is called the Advocate Messenger. You can check it out at amnews.com - The Advocate-Messenger in Danville, KY

I would also contact both Chambers of Commerce for a relocation information packet.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
This town has really affordable prices on housing as well as utilities. The electric comes from the college, as does the water and sewer. The gas is Delta Natural (cheapest around). If you are having trouble finding a rental, try calling Carpenter rentals. You may want to also sign up to get a newspaper, since that's where people tend to post for rentals.

The official website of the Berea Citizen

Although it is not online, you can get a subscription for a few weeks. People also advertise in the Richmond REgister

The Richmond Register - Homepage

HOpe this helps!
Where's the best place to shop houses for sale in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area