Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 19,178 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lexington when I attended UK, then moved to Indy for work, and now am back here in Lexington for work. I love Lexington, but hate the traffic! I have some questions about the traffic situation. It seems that the layout of Lexington was made for the 1960s or 70s, when the city was much smaller, and before the south end and Hamburg really took off. First, I have always wondered this...why did I-75/I-64 bypass the city limits of Lexington? This seems a bit odd to me, given Lexington's size and it's status as second largest city in the state! Would they ever consider re-routing either I-64 or I-75 closer to downtown to alleviate some of the terrible congestion? Or, at the very least, (and maybe this would be more feasible), turn New Circle road or Man O' War into an expressway, with interchanges to I-75 and I-64? If the population growth and density continues the way it is, especially at Hamburg or the southern end of town, don't you think one of these suggestions is inevitable? Particularly given how dreadful Nicholasville Road is with commuters! Just would like some thoughts on these questions, since I just recently moved back and haven't been following the local politics. Lexington has a beautiful skyline, it's a shame that people travelling on the interstates can't see it because they bypass the city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I really think the solution is as simple as timing traffic signals better (namely shorter signal cycles and better sequencing). A few roundabouts at moderatly busy intersections would also help. Also widen several roads, especially Waller Avenue and the non freeway section of New Circle

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

I just don't think traffic signal timing can cut it, it leaves too much open to malfunction and there's always a traffic light that isn't working right. Lexington needs fewer traffic lights. Widening roads would be good, but I just think if Lexington keeps growing the way it has, and because of its enormous car culture, it needs a connector to the interstates and less traffic lights!! That's just my take.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
I actually count Lexington among the country's fortunate because the interstates didn't split through the city. We (as in the US) are essentially not building interstates in cities any more because it destroys neighborhoods and displaces a tremendous number of people and businesses. Can you imagine not haveing part of Chevy Chase, South Hill, the Mary Todd Lincoln house, or the historic neighborhood around Gratz Park? Building an interstate through town (likely a total of 6 or 8 lanes) would decimate the area. It would also reinforce living distant from the center of town and would cut commuters off from the neighborhood stores, businesses, and neighborhoods since the road would likely be elevated and would be limited access.

The state actually studied making New Circle limited access for its entire course, but it was felt to be cost prohibitive and extremely disruptive to the businesses that have New Circle addresses on the East side of town.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
An interstate running directly through town would have to accommodate both local traffic and long distance traffic. So, immagine the traffic that you experience now PLUS all the vehicles that are just passing through.
As an example, I95 runs through a portion of Manhattan and Brooklyn. So at rush hour there are those trying to just get to work, or home, locally, fighting with those travelling from north to south or visa-versa, along the east coast.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM

442 posts, read 540,086 times
Make Nicholasville Rd., Richmond Rd. into 4 lanes, 25-35mph with a BRT line moving down the middle, add a freeway that is fed by new roads at the Jess. and Madison County lines right between the two. with exits at Manowar, New Circle, Alumni and let it end downtown.

Of course this would be a legal and financial nightmare.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM

I agree I don't think they will ever re-route I-75/I-64 through downtown Lexington. I'm glad they did the Newtown extension to I-75/I-64, but I still think going forward that Lexington is going to have radically change its traffic layout to keep up with the population growth. Here are my ideas, which aren't all that complicated:

1.) Widen New Circle Road to three lanes both ways, get rid of all the red lights on it.
2.) Build a connector expressway (with no red lights) from New Circle or Man O'War to I-75/I-64. Lexington has way too many red lights and traffic just doesn't move the way it should. I don't even go to Nicholasville Road unless early in the morning due to the bad traffic there.
3.) Consider building an access expressway from Jessamine County (Nicholasville) to I-75/I-64 to help relieve the traffic nightmare that is Nicholasville Road.

I hope one of these suggestions is looked at and implemented at some point in the future. Simply changing the times of traffic lights isn't going to cut it in a city of Lexington's size.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM

218 posts, read 637,266 times
JakeIndy

It would take about three state-wide transportation budgets to do all of that work to New Circle Rd. The grade separations alone would wipe out most of the businesses along the route.

Man o' War currently connect to I-75 on one end and would destroy a good chunk of our famous horse farms to complete the other end. Detrimental to Tourism = Bad Idea.

A connector to I-75 from Nicholasville has been studied for nearly 6 years now. Every route possibility requires a bridge over the Kentucky River and there are now at least three major bridges in the works in our transportation plan. They may all be completed by 2018, if then.

As for the stop light situation, maybe we should remove them all and make every intersection a four-way stop. When running across town becomes more of a burden, then we will allow more of the useful places a little closer to home.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Lexington does not need an interstate downtown. Ugh, what a terrible idea....

More roundabouts I say! Widen Man O' War to 6 lanes!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM

After thinking about it some, I agree I don't think bringing I-75/I-64 downtown would be the best option. There are some more practical ideas though. They wouldn't be easy, but something is going to have be done, if the town keeps expanding at the rate it is. Otherwise there will be total gridlock in a few years (which there is now in parts of town) Here are some more feasible options:

1.) Simply remove all the remaining red lights from New Circle Road, widening it where possible, but making the entire route an expressway all around the city. It currently is limited access for part of the way (on the north, west, and southern parts) but really needs to be on the east/northeast side too where there are still far too many redlights. And maybe building a direct connector to the interstates which would flow right into New Circle. This would allow people quicker access to downtown from the outer rims. This might be a viable option at some point.

2.)Widen New Circle Road (which loops around the city) to 6 lanes, remove the existing red lights on it and maybe someday in the future connect it with the interstate via a limited access connector road. Sort of like a smaller version of Watterson Expressway in Louisville or Gene Synder freeway there.

3.) Definately widen Man O'War to six lanes! With Hamburg growing the way it is, this is going to have to be done. And again, getting rid of any red lights where possible. Roundabouts where possible is an option too.

I think the first of these three options might be doable in some form, since New Circle is already limted access for much of its route. Man O'War is going to be as bad as Nicholasville Road before long if Hamburg keeps bursting at the seams the way it is now. Man O'War would be tougher because there are more intersections with subdivisions and such, but there has to be some solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area