U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 34,400 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a possible job opportunity in Lexington, KY at UK. We are both native Los Angeles. We are in our mid 30's with 2 children. We are specifically looking for a simpler life with cheaper cost of living to raise our young family. Would appreciate any feed back on anyone who lives or has lived in Lexington and is from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 AM

969 posts, read 2,518,705 times
I've only had one client who has moved here from Cali. They seem to really like it. Their first winter here was one of the worst ones we have had in a long time, so that was a little rough on them.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,501,136 times
I had friends in high school who's families moved to Lexington from California. It's definitely a much smaller place, when compared to the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. Cost of living here is exponentially cheaper as well. All of the transplants I've encountered seem to like Lexington. It's a great little city. Schools are good, traffic isn't bad. The surrounding countryside is very scenic.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback. My wife has seasonal allergy issues and I keep reading about how bad Kentucky is for allergy sufferers. Is it just in the spring or year round?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,285 times
I moved here from San Diego, CA 6 years ago. Lexington is a great place to live! Cost of living was a major reason I was motovated me to move to this area. There are certian things I miss like great Greek restaurants (there are none in Lexington) and the beach. But I also don't miss the traffic congestion, high cost of living and lack of greenery.

Lexington has improved greatly in the short time I have been here with more music/entertainment venues, better ethnic restaurants, larger variety of stores.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Seasonal allergies? Buy stock in Mucinex. Not gonna lie... Seasonal allergies are absolutely TERRIBLE in Lexington. You'll spend about a month sneezing your face off.

But the rest of the year is great! Lexington has four very distinct seasons. Spring, you stay indoors sneezing. Summer is green, highs in the 80's, brushing the 90's (some summers are hotter, though). Fall, everything goes every shade of red, yellow, orange, and brown you can imagine. Winters are greyscale, usually overcast. Some winters we actually get snow to stick around for a bit! (I actually enjoy winter... Some do, some don't).

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Bump. We are getting closer to a final decision.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,578,006 times
There was a thread from a San Jose-based poster in February regarding a move to Lexington. These were my responses to her on that thread, also FYI:

The entire thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/lexin...lif-maybe.html

My responses:

//www.city-data.com/forum/22851713-post2.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/22856579-post5.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/22871126-post16.html

Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 AM

23 posts, read 39,050 times
"There are certian things I miss like great Greek restaurants (there are none in Lexington)"

Miles have you tried 'Sahara Mediterranean' off Harrodsburg rd? Maybe not strictly greek but very good when I went there while in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area