Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 29,216 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what Lexington is like for young professionals? I am 26 and I am moving from Indianapolis within the next two months. I am trying to find out where I should try and live so that I can be around people and make friends. Safety is a concern since I am a girl. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Hi,

Over the summer (July) Kiplinger's did a "best places to live" in the United States. Lexington actually won in the category of young professionals. I picked this up at the airport around July 10th if you want to search for the article.

I'm not sure if the article mentioned neighborhoods. I do have a great relocation realtor if you want me to send you her name.

I do live in Lexington, but I'm in the suburbs with a young child so I'm in a different mode

Any suggestions anyone?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,139 times
I am posting a link to an organization for young professionals. I don't know if they could offer any info or not. If not maybe they could point you in the direction of other organizations that could help you.
http://www.lypa.org/index.php

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Hi,

Over the summer (July) Kiplinger's did a "best places to live" in the United States. Lexington actually won in the category of young professionals. I picked this up at the airport around July 10th if you want to search for the article.

I'm not sure if the article mentioned neighborhoods. I do have a great relocation realtor if you want me to send you her name.

I do live in Lexington, but I'm in the suburbs with a young child so I'm in a different mode

Any suggestions anyone?
Hi, Goldenmom

What are your suburban with kids recommendations??

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 AM

Hi,

I just moved to Firebrook (from Northern Virginia). I've only been here about 6 weeks, but we love the neighbors. This area along Harrodsburg is very nice.

I also loved Chevy Chase and sometimes wish I were closer to the university, etc.

There are so many pretty neighborhoods.

In hindsight - not that I want to second guess myself - but I would pick the school first and then look for the available houses. I would have liked to get my daughter into Cassidy, Glendover, or Rosa Parks.

hth -

Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 PM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Hi,

I just moved to Firebrook (from Northern Virginia). I've only been here about 6 weeks, but we love the neighbors. This area along Harrodsburg is very nice.

I also loved Chevy Chase and sometimes wish I were closer to the university, etc.

There are so many pretty neighborhoods.

In hindsight - not that I want to second guess myself - but I would pick the school first and then look for the available houses. I would have liked to get my daughter into Cassidy, Glendover, or Rosa Parks.

hth -
Thanks for that insight. That is what we are trying to think about right now--best schools (which we may or may not even use as we homeschool, but want options) and then price. The hard part is that the best combinations of all three--elementary, middle, high schools--seems to be the hardest to find in our price range.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Hi,

Yes, I wasn't even thinking ahead to middle and high schools, but my realtor was nudging me, specifically away from one place where I would not have liked the middle school.

Another school that seems nice is Stonewall Elementary. I think it rates an "8" on the great schools site and both middle schools around there are supposed to be good. It's actually very close to us here and the surrounding houses - both the old ones and the new ones - are just lovely.

Melissa

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 29,192 times
I do not know anything about the schools, as I dont have kids.

Lexington is a very safe and clean city to live in. Generally try to avoid North Side, streets like Georgetown, any numbered streed (ie. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc), Winchester Road. These streets are not so bad during daytime, but i wouldnt wanna live there.

Nice areas are on the South Side. Streets like Tates Creek, Nicholasville, Harrodsburg. There are also a lot new subdivisions spread around the city such as Masterson Station, Hamburg Pavillion.

All in all id say that 80% of lexington is safe and the housing is affordable so you should not have a lot of problems finding a place.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,086 times
Quote:
Hi,

Yes, I wasn't even thinking ahead to middle and high schools, but my realtor was nudging me, specifically away from one place where I would not have liked the middle school.

Another school that seems nice is Stonewall Elementary. I think it rates an "8" on the great schools site and both middle schools around there are supposed to be good. It's actually very close to us here and the surrounding houses - both the old ones and the new ones - are just lovely.

Melissa
goldenmom,

This is very interesting. We almost bought a house in Firebrook. We've been in our house in Versailles for about five weeks now. I was originally looking for Rosa Parks/Beaumont/Dunbar (or Cassidy/Morton/Henry Clay). We decided against Firebrook because the bus ride was so long for elementary (school kind of far away) and I wasn't sure about the school (although I heard it's above average) and because Firebrook is kind of far out. But it's a beautiful subdivision.

We decided on Versailles because what we wanted to pay for a house in the Beaumont area would not have bought us much, and I do like the schools here for the most part.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM

Wow, maybe you were looking at my house?

My daughter didn't even get into Garden Springs because it was filled by the time we closed on the house ... bad info from the school board, as Garden Springs would have let us register with the accepted offer. We ended up in a school even further out and, well, I don't want to say anything bad because they've been good to us, but the majority of kids are on subsidized lunches, etc., etc.

Back to Lexington ... I was coming from another area and really disoriented. I didn't realize we were so far out (although compared to DC it's nothing!). I just didn't know what was happening, but I liked Chevy Chase and Firebrook the best, although I was at the very bottom of the price ranges in either case. I guess that's not such a bad thing - and there are no bad houses in Firebrook and the neighbors are wonderful. I was going by the "great schools" website, so I wasn't overwhelmed by the "6" for Garden Springs, but I guess it's the middle school and high school that will ultimately matter the most, sort of.

Do you like Versailles? Are your kids in public schools? Have to run get my daughter to bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area