Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm actually not a grad student, but in terms of my 'lifestyle,' it's pretty similar. I'm going to be working in Lexington on Southland and am looking for a good neighborhood that would have the following:

1. Is close and safe enough to bike to Southland and to the UK campus/downtown
2. Is close to a grocery store or two that sells healthy produce
3. Is the kind of neighborhood where you could wander on the sidewalks at 10pm
4. Does not have the impersonal suburban feel
5. Is less than $550 for a single person, less than $800 for two people. (and wouldn't be hard to find a roommate in that case)

I'm thinking the Elizabeth Road/Fuller area would be good, or is it an undergrad party street? Rosemont? Is Gardenside too detached and "suburban" in comparison? Craigslist looks like slim pickings. I'm wondering what areas would be best to scout out for "For Rent" signs.

I'll be new to the Lex community. I appreciate any tips and recommendations you can share!

Thanks,

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 34,814 times
I would look at contenental towers before I would Elesabith ST.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Houses seem to come up for rent in the Southland-Twin Oaks area pretty frequently. The neighborhoods along Clays Mill Road and Southview Drive offer all you describe above, though rent may be a bit higher for a house. There are some older apartments along Nicholasville Road just past Turfland Mall which may work for you.

Rosemont Garden is not a student area, but has a lot of traffic. Elizabeth Street does run right through the heart of student-party-land, but then continues on to more "mature" areas near Barberry, etc.

Southland Drive has two groceries plus a Sunday farmers' market and some quirky stores and restaurants. The neighborhoods nearby are safe. There are many families with school-age children in this area, which is very convenient to a variety of schools and parks. The houses range from 1910s bungalows to 1950s ranches and Cape Cods and cottages. Lots of mature trees, well-kept yards, lots of churches. Southland Park has a big pool, tennis courts, and room to walk. Traffic is light on most of the residential Southland side streets.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,671 times
Thanks for that, CraigsCreek. Very helpful. I'm new to all this and can't find a lot of info about Southland around here, other than it is a friendly place for families.

Is the best way to find a place by driving around and looking for "For Rent" signs? I can't find much at all on Craigslist.

Also, would it be difficult to find a roommate if I got a 2 bedroom and tried to fill the second room?

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
Rental is super tight in Lexington right now. I would drive around the area if you can in hopes of finding a rental that isn't online.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Also check the local classifieds in "The Lexington Herald-Leader"'s Sunday paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area