Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in another post, there is a chance that my dh is going to be transferred to Lexington, KY with his job. I don't think it will be a huge culture shock if we move there, especially since his family, up until his generation, all grew up in KY, but I'm wondering if there is much of a difference in climate. I know you still get winter, but does spring come noticeably earlier, and does fall last noticeably later in the year? Are the winters noticeably milder or do you still get a lot of snow? I am really hoping that the climate will be somewhat milder, even if just slightly.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Well, we get significantly less snow than Michigan if that is any comfort!
Our weather can be very changeable and hard to predict...Spring usually shows up about March...
although really sometimes it can still be a little bit winter in March -sometimes you can have both
(in the same day!) We didn't have much of a winter at all to speak of last year, but every decade or so
we get some huge snowstorm or Icestorm that is just crazy...nothing like what is usually seen in
Michigan though! It does get really hot in the summer though.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info!

We actually had a really mild winter up here last year too. Almost no snow to speak of and a string of 60+ degree days in February, which was unusual but much appreciated!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Default lived in both

I lived in Celina, Ohio for two years and in Lexington, Kentucky for seven. Not overly familiar with Michigan itself.

But Celina is basically flat, corn growing country. Lexington has gently rolling hills. There is nothing to prevent winter winds from whipping across northwest Ohio. It doesn't have near as much foliage as Lexington and vicinity.

The big difference in winter time---northwest Ohio is going to get more snow overall. But the entire state of Kentucky has about six snowplows () so if they get an infrequent heavy snowfall, it's not going to be easy to move around--plus you have the ups and downs of the hills and slopes.

Fall weather brought a wonderful corn harvest in NW Ohio, lots of great farmer markets even in the small towns. Lexington and vicinity has some beautiful foliage come fall, and traveling out by the horse farms is a delightful Sunday afternoon trip. The summers are going to be longer and warmer than in Michigan--and evening cool downs are not as noticeable.

I think you'll find the cost of living to be somewhat less in Lexington compared to Michigan. But the crime rate was higher in Lexington than in tiny Celina, Ohio. Then again, the crime rate in Lexington is much LESS than where I live now in Dallas.

It's been a few years now since I've lived in either, so certainly there have been changes of which I am unaware. But I enjoyed the time we lived in both places and really have nothing negative to say about either.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Wardendresden,

Thanks so much for your insight. I grew up in Fulton County, Ohio, so I am pretty familiar with the Celina area, which is basically just the same as Fulton County-flat as a board, and yes, the wind can really whip across those farm fields, can't it?

I didn't realize that the Lexington area didn't have a lot of snow removal equipment, that is interesting. I had heard that about Atlanta and its environs, but I guess I just figured that with KY being so close to northern states like OH and IN they would have an arsenal for snow removal not unlike those states. It does make sense, though, if they don't get a lot of snow, since it would be a lot of extra expense for little gain.

Just about my favorite thing about the Lexington area is the rural areas surrounding it and the equestrian culture. Some years ago, we had a horse that our daughter would show at regional events. We attended a show at Kentucky Horse Park one year and stayed in Georgetown. Out of curiosity, I got up very early one morning and went for a drive in the surrounding area by myself and...I was hooked! The decades old stone walls, the antebellum brick farmhouses, the miles and miles of horse fence, and of course, the gorgeous horses themselves all just stole my heart. I really envy the people who call this area their native home.

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
We do have more than six snowplows in Lexington, although I don't know the actual number. When snow is forecast, our local Streets and Roads Department does a good job of getting out and salting and sanding the major roads ahead of time. Streets and roads are prioritized, with some being snow emergency routes which get attention first, while others get secondary attention - and some residential streets, including my own, alas, seldom see a grain of salt or sand, much less a snowplow.

Thank you for the kind words about the beauty of our Bluegrass countryside, canudigit. It is a very special place...

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
As for winter weather, it varies considerably from year to year, and sometimes even from day to day, as it's doing at present.

Right now, it's raining fairly hard, off and on, and I think we've received well over an inch of rain today. Temperatures have been hanging in the high fifties-low sixties for daytime highs this weekend. But a cold front moves in tomorrow, and the thermometer is set to plunge into the twenties by Tuesday morning, with rain again on Monday.

In the winter in Kentucky, keep a spare umbrella, a snow and ice scraper, and a small snowshovel in your car, along with a blanket, a flashlight, and perhaps a bag of kitty litter to help with traction if needed. Make sure your car has good antifreeze, too. I haven't needed any of these items except the umbrella so far this winter - but it's better to have them on hand if the need should arise, just in case..

Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Default Snowplows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
We do have more than six snowplows in Lexington, although I don't know the actual number. When snow is forecast, our local Streets and Roads Department does a good job of getting out and salting and sanding the major roads ahead of time. Streets and roads are prioritized, with some being snow emergency routes which get attention first, while others get secondary attention - and some residential streets, including my own, alas, seldom see a grain of salt or sand, much less a snowplow.

Thank you for the kind words about the beauty of our Bluegrass countryside, canudigit. It is a very special place...
Yeah, Craig, but after living in Colorado for a number of years, I began to realize the comparative shortage of snow removal equipment compared to Kentucky!

But it's never too snowy in Kentucky and the few times it occurs it's almost like a holiday!

There are plenty of things I miss about My Old Kentucky Home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area