U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 PM

437 posts, read 586,946 times

Advertisements

I love a young vibe.... and at 51, and disabled, *but not unable*, I too am looking at Lexington now, as a place to rent/buy and stay for good.

And as much as I love the energy of youth, does Lexington lend itself towards those of us who no longer want that crazy, fun-drunk, energy, every time we want to go to a restaurant/bar?

Unlike the OP, I want a pool, damnit. lol...... If I'm gonna end up "retiring" somewhere warmer than where I am now, I want to be able to cool off when the Summer heat rises.

Why are Chevy Chase and Southland singled out, among all the other areas around the city?

bullie~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 9,764,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I love a young vibe.... and at 51, and disabled, *but not unable*, I too am looking at Lexington now, as a place to rent/buy and stay for good.

And as much as I love the energy of youth, does Lexington lend itself towards those of us who no longer want that crazy, fun-drunk, energy, every time we want to go to a restaurant/bar?

Unlike the OP, I want a pool, damnit. lol...... If I'm gonna end up "retiring" somewhere warmer than where I am now, I want to be able to cool off when the Summer heat rises.

Why are Chevy Chase and Southland singled out, among all the other areas around the city?

bullie~
Both areas are known for decent schools (public, parochial, and for Southland, private as well), varied yet congenial housing styles, quiet side streets, shopping within both in walkable and easy driving range, churches ditto, mature trees, parks (with pools!) nearby, and well-kept, soundly built homes that have held their value and in many cases, risen considerably in value in recent years.

Add on convenience to downtown and UK for Chevy Chase and reasonable prices for Southland, and you have the explanation for the popularity of these areas.

In regard to your first question, yes, very much so.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Both areas are known for decent schools (public, parochial, and for Southland, private as well), varied yet congenial housing styles, quiet side streets, shopping within both in walkable and easy driving range, churches ditto, mature trees, parks (with pools!) nearby, and well-kept, soundly built homes that have held their value and in many cases, risen considerably in value in recent years.

Add on convenience to downtown and UK for Chevy Chase and reasonable prices for Southland, and you have the explanation for the popularity of these areas.

In regard to your first question, yes, very much so.
Thanks for the response CC. I guess the only thing I wanna question, as a single, attractive, *humbly*, lively when my disease doesn't have me on my back for days on end..... I don't want "quiet" streets. I want ACTION, LIFE, ENERGY, connections to be made, and hope that friendships can be forged.

In a suburban life, I'd die a slow death. I'm alone, *except for my English Bulldog* ~hence "bullie"~, so I want interaction. I want to walk outside my town home, and be right THERE. Right in the thick of all that IS Lexington. I may not have a car.... and am disabled. Walking more than "....." feet on any given day, is a crap shoot. S"Main Street USA" is sooooo appealing, if not reality.

But I won't give up my thought that I'm independent. I won't give up my want for human interaction that's not closed off and has some semblance of OPENNESS and ACCEPTANCE.

Talk to me, Lexington.......... Tell me what you think about where you live. *No need for school, church or quiet areas are on my radar* What I'd LOVE to find is a lively downtown city, obviously smaller than my Chicago home, where I can still get that "walk out my door and get what I need" kinda feeling.

Meh.... grasping at straws, all over the US right now. lol

THANK YOU, for your help!

bullie~

Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 PM

71 posts, read 125,401 times
Bullie,

I'm not sure Lexington is a great town for you. It's just not that lively - anyplace. I think if you want to find a smaller, warmer city with neighborhoods which are livelier and pedestrian-friendly, I'd try Asheville NC or Nashville TN. Both have areas that are lively and fun. Nashville especially, around Vanderbilt U. In Asheville, downtown.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks, Heph. I'm looking closer at Asheville, NC right now. House is going up for sale, so time is ticking.......... weeeeee~

Thanks for your input! Mucho appreciated!

And I'm still loving Lexington, and will be making trips there, once I'm settled, but for SURE on the way to NC! So I'll give ya'll a heads up when I'm comin' through.... It would be really kewl to meet up with ya'll!~!

bullie~

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,900,910 times
Also, the cool thing about Lextran, is that you can take your bike if you want to. Just ride your bike to your stops and you can store it on the front of the bus!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM

9,298 posts, read 5,084,108 times
Their is a high rise Apartment building downtown right next to the Lextran Bus station and Main Public Library - close by to just about every thing (They have a doorman, etc - so they might be expensive...I am not for sure.) But you talk about being right in the middle of everything! The Police station is right up the street, and I don't think that it would be very dangerous...

The Zombies are coming! Thriller Parade Saturday night downtown!

2011 Thriller Zombie Parade Lexington Kentucky - YouTube

Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 AM

^ omg what fun!! Thanks for the info about the new highrise, as well!

bullie~

Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM

71 posts, read 125,401 times
If anyone can name some good, inexpensive apartment buildings, I'd love to hear about them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area