U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 39,970 times

Advertisements

I retire in a few years and I'm accustomed to riding the bus & subway in DC. I hate the idea of buying a car again. I won't be able to afford to stay in DC after I retire so I'm considering Lexington since I went to grad school there in the 70's and loved it. I want an apartment (not a house unless it's an apartment) in a neighborhood within walking distance of a grocery & restaurants, along a bus route.

I've been thinking the Chevy Chase neighborhood is my best bet. Is this true? I haven't been back to Lexington in decades. Are there other areas suitable for a car-free retirement? Does anyone know any good apartment buildings that charge less than $700/month? I don't want a place with a pool since I would never use it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM

93 posts, read 318,420 times
Greetings! I live right near the downtown library, a block from the transit center. Last month I decided to park my car and use the bus. I give it a thumbs up. No problem getting to the major shopping areas, and buses are usually clean and on time. Unlike bigger cities where I've lived (Seattle, Denver, St. Louis), the buses don't run late into the night.

Timing wise, the buses are proving as fast as my car getting to most of the places I go. The downside is the stops are sometimes far apart, so it is sometimes necessarty to walk a block or more to or from a stop.
Already there's a huge savings on gas, the rate for a monthly senior unlimited pass is only $15. Except to get large items, like water, or get to further out places, you can get around by bus very well here. This is also a good town for walkers like me, especially Chevy Chase with many shaded areas.

When I moved here from New Mexico five years ago, I found an apartment through a property management company. That worked very well for me. I don't know about Chevy Chase price wise, but it should be possible to find an apartment in the range you are looking for. I'm not sure if it is ok to post the name of the company or not-if someone reads this and knows, please post that information.
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta1954 View Post
I retire in a few years and I'm accustomed to riding the bus & subway in DC. I hate the idea of buying a car again. I won't be able to afford to stay in DC after I retire so I'm considering Lexington since I went to grad school there in the 70's and loved it. I want an apartment (not a house unless it's an apartment) in a neighborhood within walking distance of a grocery & restaurants, along a bus route.

I've been thinking the Chevy Chase neighborhood is my best bet. Is this true? I haven't been back to Lexington in decades. Are there other areas suitable for a car-free retirement? Does anyone know any good apartment buildings that charge less than $700/month? I don't want a place with a pool since I would never use it.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:32 AM

9,333 posts, read 5,113,881 times
Well Lextran is not anywhere near as good as the subway in DC I am sure, but my son is a UK student and uses it alot. If you lived downtown or in Chevy Chase, I think it would be doable....the walking part.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM

11,880 posts, read 9,806,423 times
Southland is also a walkable, shaded neighborhood, with easy access to shopping, parks, schools, churches, and bus lines. Prices are considerably lower than Chevy Chase.

However, you'll find more apartments - older, well-kept four to eight-plexes - in the Chevy Chase neighborhood, particularly along Romany Road, Duke Road, the nearby blocks of Cooper Drive (all near the Romany Road shops), and the lower stretch of Cochran Road (closest to the Chevy Chase shopping center).

Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Thank you for your helpful responses! I am very glad to hear the good report on LexTran. Does anyone know if they have sheltered bus stops with benches?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM

11,880 posts, read 9,806,423 times
Quote:
Thank you for your helpful responses! I am very glad to hear the good report on LexTran. Does anyone know if they have sheltered bus stops with benches?
Yes - mostly downtown and near UK. Most other stops have benches but no shelters.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 AM

If you live in certain areas, Lextran is great...in outer areas not so much.
(If you lived downtown or in Chevy Chase or Southland I think you would be fine probably.)
The service on Sundays isn't really great, and they don't run all through the night in most places....Several of the people that I work with also use the bus sometimes. It's a good way to save money and be green.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM

I prefer buses since it gives me time to read the paper as I ride. And buses are often more comfortable than cars, I think, and I've met great people on buses. Cars separate us from people and I don't like that. Plus buses tend to make you walk a little more, which is a good thing. And as a retiree, why do I need to rush?

I am so pleased to hear that there are benches to wait on.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM

You make some excellent points. I wish everyone felt that way actually.
Think how much better everything would be, if everyone did that!
My son lives on Lextram during the school year!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM

93 posts, read 318,420 times
Quote:
I prefer buses since it gives me time to read the paper as I ride. And buses are often more comfortable than cars, I think, and I've met great people on buses. Cars separate us from people and I don't like that. Plus buses tend to make you walk a little more, which is a good thing. And as a retiree, why do I need to rush?

I am so pleased to hear that there are benches to wait on.
You also get a sense of everyday folks here. The buses are comfortable and it's been a treat the last month or so to be able to relax and enjoy the ride instead of being tense while navigating traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area