Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,079 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a potential relocation to Lexington for work and would appreciate any advice on schools, neighborhoods, etc. I have never actually been to Lexington, so I have to admit significant ignorance on pretty much everything related to the city. Prior to this move, we have lived several years in Chicago and San Francisco and never in a city or metro area the size of Lexington. With that said, we are going in with an open mind and always eager and open to meeting new people and experiencing new things.

My wife and I are both working professionals and have a young family with kids in elementary school. By far the number one priority is excellent schools. My wife is Asian (but born a New Englander) and we would like to have our kids to be in a diverse school with excellent programs in academics and the arts. We are looking for a nice quiet, safe neighborhood and wouldn't mind some land (we are used to living with small yards in California) somewhere in the $500-700K range.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance !

Last edited by FATned; 06-24-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Land is going to be the hard part of finding what you want. We just don't have much of it in Fayette Co, especially at that price.

For $500-700k, you can get in a great house in top rated schools. The Cassidy/Morton/Henry Clay district is great if you want an older house closer into town. The Rosa Parks/Beaumont/Dunbar is the way to go if you want a newer house.

I've got some videos I have made of these areas on YouTube. Just google something like "Lexpert neighborhood Lexington Ky" and they should pop up. Hope they help.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
In the Cassidy/Morton/Henry Clay district you can find homes on 1/2 acre (give or take) in the Lakeview area. On the Island there are some homes with large lots as well Easily within your budget.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
In the Cassidy/Morton/Henry Clay district you can find homes on 1/2 acre (give or take) in the Lakeview area. On the Island there are some homes with large lots as well Easily within your budget.

I may be mistaken, but I think Lexgal may mean Lakewood rather than Lakeview (for larger lots).

Lakewood is a very nice older section which has sadly seen many tear-downs of perfectly nice, large 1950s houses, and newly constructed, costly, (and often ostentatious) McMansions. However, it's still a very attractive neighborhood with limited traffic, mature trees, and large lots.

The "Lake" is a small natural (?) pond surrounded by trees, in the middle of one of the older blocks and surrounded by houses whose back yards adjoin the lake. Old friends who once lived in one of those houses used to enjoy ice skating there back in the day...

The Lexington Reservoir is also close at hand. Lakewood is accessed from Tates Creek Road - turn right onto Lakewood Drive, and keep going until the road turns sharply right. Continue - you're in (as well as on) Lakewood.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
Actually I do mean Lakeview. Off of Lakeshore Dr but before you get to the Island. Houses sit on 1/3 to over 1/2 acre lots. Some have been updated others have not. The neighborhood is turning over with many families moving into the area. It's quiet and there are several streets that end in courts so there is very little traffic. The courts end at the lake so there are ducks and geese that fly by.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Actually I do mean Lakeview. Off of Lakeshore Dr but before you get to the Island. Houses sit on 1/3 to over 1/2 acre lots. Some have been updated others have not. The neighborhood is turning over with many families moving into the area. It's quiet and there are several streets that end in courts so there is very little traffic. The courts end at the lake so there are ducks and geese that fly by.

Thanks for the clarification - my mistake! Both Lakeview and Lakewood share some of the characteristics the OP is seeking, it appears.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Oh, also welcome to the Lexington forum at City Data Fatned.
Lexington is a really beautiful community that has lots going for it.

Natural Beauty Surrounds Lexington, Kentucky - YouTube

Today recently listed it as one of the top ten places in America to raise a family.

Today link

Lexington also scores great in the education department.

Lexington, KY: One of the Most Educated Places in the U.S. - YouTube

Forbes voted Lexington as one of the top ten cleanest cities in the world

In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes

I would type in more, but have to run, I have dinner to cook before running off to work.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 45,352 times
To me, the prettiest streets in Lexington are Fontaine Road, South Ashland Avenue & other streets near them. The north side of Lexington is less desirable. Richmond Road is the prettiest main thoroughfare in Lexington.

Lexington is not nearly as diverse as San Francisco, but it's more diverse than you might guess. The accent of eastern Kentucky, which is nearby, is very unsophisticated sounding at first to non-Kentuckians, but once you get to know Eastern Kentuckians, they are so very kind and bright.

Lexington has a gay mayor and is pretty open and liberal politically, but it's in Kentucky and Kentucky's US Senators are two of the most conservative and anti-gay in the US: Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell.

I've lived in cities of all sizes, from huge to small, and I found Lexington to be very pleasant: there's a lot to do there and life is a bit easier and cheaper than in large cities. It has some terrific restaurants and shopping for a city its size.

My favorite place in Lexington is the Henry Clay Home, which is in the middle of my favorite neighborhood and it has a lovely formal garden to walk around in & have some solitude. And driving around the country roads around Lexington, where the horse farms are, is pure heaven. I love driving up Russell Cave Rd to Iron Works Pike & Yarnallton Road just to gawk at the gorgeous horse farms.

Last edited by Atlanta1954; 06-30-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 45,352 times
As previous persons have said, the Lakeview & Lakewood areas are very nice. Many homes there have huge lots. And many professionals and university folks live there. It is very pretty. Also, Chinoe Road, which is nearby, is awfully nice. This area is close-in, friendly, and has quick access to good groceries and other stores.

Of course, having a huge yard can be time-consuming and expensive, so if you prefer something nice but not so very huge, I'd try South Ashland & Fontaine Rd. areas, where houses are older & have smaller yards than Lakewood, and are architecturally very charming, with sidewalks and more neighborhood interaction. You can even walk to Starbucks and much shopping if you live in the Chevy Chase/Fontaine/South Ashland areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area