Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I will be moving to Kentucky in March and I just I don't know where to start! I'm not sure how to go about finding a place to live or a job because I will be moving from New York so I'm kind of far away right now. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips to help out. I'm kind of lost right now, I've never moved out of state and I don't have any family there or anything like that. I do want to be around Lexington, I do have that figured out. I'm just not sure about the rest. I currently am a manager at a store, but I'm willing to work any wheres. I am not very picky when it comes to places to live. My price range is about $700 for rent a month. I just don't know how you go about finding a job and a place to live when you are 12 hours away. I was hoping anyone who has done this could shed some light on to this for me. Any and all tips would be welcomed and helpful! Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,655 times
We moved here last March from LI, but we have a different situation than you- We have horses! The first thing you might do is research the job market here. Try www.jobswantedlexington.com or www.lexingtonjobswanted.com. I'd also research rentals in the Bluegrass area, although I don't know any websites for that, but I'm sure somebody else on here does! Have you visited the area? What is drawing you to the area? Are you planning a trip down to look at rentals, etc.? Driving around with an agent helped us get to know the area and they are a good source of info! I'd also get my hands on a map of the area too. That will help you get a good idea of the layout of Lexington and the surrounding towns. You can get a good idea about the towns by just searching here at City-Data! Good luck, have fun, and welcome to KY!!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,206 times
Thank you for the reply! I visited the area in November and I just fell in love with it. I don't plan on another trip before we move so I don't really know how to go about looking for jobs and a place to live if I'm 700 miles away, haha. I'm definitely going to look at the websites though! Thank you so much!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
You refer to "we" - do you have a spouse and/or children? If so, your considerations will be somewhat different than if you are single and childless: proximity and quality of schools, perhaps public transportation, and so on will become factors you should take into account. If you have a spouse or partner, will they be working or staying at home?

In addition to reading here at C-D, you might want to request free materials from the Lexington Chamber of Commerce, the Lexington Visitors' Center, and the Kentucky Division of Tourism and Travel. All have websites - sorry, I don't have the links but you should be able to find them easily.

If the store in which you are presently a manager is part of a national chain, you might see if they have Kentucky locations which are hiring or which would be open to job applications from you.

Good luck with your plans.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:05 PM

367 posts, read 697,586 times
I would suggest looking on craigslist for apartments and jobs. Do keep in mind Lexington is a college town and traffic is bad when Kentucky is playing. Lexington also has a lot of crime.I grew up 18 miles away from there. Overall Lexington is a nice place.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 28,532 times
I lived in the Tate's Creek area for years and years and loved it! Friendly people, affordable rents, short drive to everything you need, including gym, library, university, mall, etc. Just be careful, some areas are prone to crime nearer downtown and the University. I lived there as a undergrad and graduate student and escaped two near assaults in that area- but nothing happened as I was able to run away. Just be smart, don't be out at 3 am drunk, don't leave your car unlocked or your home unlocked, etc.

Crime is rising there now, but don't let that scare you, as crime has been traditionally low for a city of that size.

Lexington is my favorite place I've lived, friendly people and enough culture to keep you going but a slower paced life. Good luck to you! PS Be sure to check out Woodland Park, the library systems, the UK art museum, Natasha's for amazing food, and Raven Run if you like the outdoors.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Welcome to Lexington!
Here are a few websites for jobs in the area:

Lexington Local Jobs Wanted

Career Builders - Lexington

Indeed - Lexington

Monster Jobs - Lexington

Craigslist - Lexington Jobs

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly in a home but here are a few sites to check out maybe

Placebee - Lexington

Hotpads - Lexington Rentals

Zillow Lexington Rentals

TRULIA _Rentals Lexington

Lexington Rental Homes

Lexington Craigslist

I hope that helped and Good Luck to you.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:01 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Lexington Local Jobs Wanted

Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM

86 posts, read 126,424 times
indeed.com always has a lot to offer. Lexington is a nice place. Good people, good environment, good reputation.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 AM

53 posts, read 94,632 times
I don't know what type of store you managed but there is a lot of turn over in dollar type of stores in the city. Additionally there is plenty of retail here in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area