Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM

29 posts, read 36,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First time posting here. G'day!

First things first:
Where you are working: UK
How much you are willing to spend on housing: $1000-1200/month rental
How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: 20-30 min
If you have kids: Public school (6yr old son and 2.5 year old daughter)
What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: Family centered suburbia with easy access to things (prefer walking access)
Community amenities important to you: Good schools, Public Library
Pie or cake? Bit of both really.

We are a family of 4 moving from Australia to Lexington in the next few weeks.

We are thinking of moving to the Liberty area initially. We have been told that there are new schools coming up in this area in the next few years. Any information/suggestions would be great!
Also, would you guys be able to suggest any other areas that we can consider given our priorities mentioned above?

Also, could you please let us know the process for mid-year enrolment for our son into elementary school?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers!

Last edited by buckeye9906; 02-06-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: additional text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I'm not in that area but just wanted to say welcome (early) to Kentucky!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Welcome to Lexington!

UK is really centrally located, so most places in Lexington are within a 30 minute drive. We live off Clays Mill Road and that is a very nice neighborhood for living and raising kids....but so are lots of neighborhoods.
Lexington was rated as one of the top ten cities in America for raising a family.(Number 6)

http://www.today.com/id/33385798/ns/.../#.UvX6-YWl2-N

Love Letters: Lexington, Kentucky | Love Letters

Here are a few of UK's Faculty talking about Lexington

Natural Beauty Surrounds Lexington, Kentucky - YouTube

Are you looking to rent or buy? The Lexpert on here, is a Real Estate Agent, he could probably assist you.

He has a lot of video's on You Tube, you can check it out, at least you might be able to get a better feel for the different neighborhoods.

the lexpert lexington ky - YouTube

You can check out listing on Lexington's Craigslist

lexington, KY apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Hotpads Lexington has some good info.
Hotpads
You can check out Trulia for rental homes
Here

Or Zillow
Zillow

But, as far as buying goes, if you are buying I would definitely consult a professional, because it can solve a lot of problems, and not cost you so much wasted time and money.
Liberty Road that you mentioned is I believe in the Hamburg area, and is a pretty good area, from what I have heard.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,525 times
Yes, welcome to the Bluegrass! Er.....and the USA!! I second Crazy's suggestion- contact Lexpert on here. He is very knowledgeable about neighborhoods, schools, etc. Best of luck to you with the move!!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 AM

You can click this link to learn about enrolling in Fayette County Schools.

Enrollment in Fayette County Public Schools

Here is a link for more information on what is needed for school registration.

FCPS registration requirements

Oh, I noticed that you want to rent, instead of buying your home (my bad, for not paying attention at first read of your post.) The links that I sent, in the post above though are for rentals. There are more sites online that have this sort of thing, if you need more, give a yell. Or if you need anymore information about neighborhoods,etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I guess this the the Southern Hospitality that people talk about !

Thank you Cat Lady for the wonderful links about Lexington. It is very assuring to find out that it is one of the best places to raise kids.
Our plan is to rent initially. Once we get a feel for all the suburbs, we will look into buying a house.
I will look into the enrollment details and also the rentals from the links that you have sent.

Thanks once again and I might bug you guys again after going through all the information.
Cheers!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Hi All,
I have gone through a lot of information and we are pretty much focused on Hamburg area for renting initially.
Could any of you provide any inputs on Liberty Elementary school?
I have also heard that there are new schools going up in this area. Is that true?
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 PM

638 posts, read 1,282,525 times
I thought I'd heard something about a new high school going up on Rte. 60, just outside of New Circle. Is that correct?

Last edited by PONYPULR; 02-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM

891 posts, read 3,054,096 times
New high school slated to open in 2017

Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 AM

Great Schools is an informative website that gives you info about the local schools
(Parents and people in the community rate and give reviews about the school) so maybe you can get a better feel for Liberty Elementary and the other Elementary Schools

Great Schools - Lexington

You can also see a detailed report on each school by going here:

2010-11 School Report Cards

Here is the link for Liberty

http://www.fcps.net/media/555907/liberty.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area