Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times

Advertisements

Kentucky is back on the table for us and it appears we will be making the move next spring. We checked out some communities last week during a short (1 day) visit. We liked Beaumont, Palomar and Firebrooke, but didn't fall in love with any of those communities. Some of the homes are so crowded together and anything we really liked was over $600k (way over budget). But the proximity to shopping and restaurants was great and all were an okay commute to Harrodsburg. I'm looking for suggestions on where else to look. We would also be interested in building if there are any new home communities we should consider. We are looking in the 400k range and trying to keep the Harrodsburg commute to 35 minutes or less. Good schools are important. We also don't want a house by itself in the middle of nowhere. I appreciate any suggestions... I'm hoping Lexpert chimes in on this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
So first off, of the three neighborhoods you mentioned, I would vote for Palomar. It is more established and gets you into Rosa Parks Elementary. I don't mean to contradict anything I've said recently endorsing other elementary schools, but at the end of the day, you would want to be at Rosa Parks. If your kids are in middle, etc., those all go to the same middle and high schools. And Beaumont is nice too, a little newer, etc.

I would wonder about Jessamine County (Nicholasville) just past Firebrook (Firebrook is on the boundary between Fayette and Jessamine). You first have Equestrian Estates and that route has very nice homes on large lots, but still not isolated, and it's a lovely, tranquil area but still close enough to shopping (Palomar Center or Nicholasville in the other direction). That said, I don't know enough about the schools to comment, but I think they are good. You might save enough on house to invest in private, but I realize that changes a lot. But that gets you well positioned for a commute to Harrodsburg.

If you want a little bit more land in Lexington (and in that corridor), ... I'm thinking Colony, Wellesley Heights, old Beaumont ("Beaumont Park"), Parkers Mill Road, but all have different issues and factors. It is difficult to find a lot of land in Fayette ... there's something like Greenbrier but that is just on the other side of town, but would fit some of your criteria.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Have you considered Danville? It's within your travel-time requirements for Harrodsburg, and has much to recommend it, although it's not Lexington.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 PM

We did consider Danville and have gone back and forth on that area, but don't feel it's a good fit for us.
However, i am intrigued by the newly adopted educational philosophy at Bate middle School in Danville and their move away from standardized testing. I'm watching to see if other schools in KY follow suit. I'm not a huge fan of Common Core.

We had also considered Versailles for a time, but it just appears there is nothing going on there. Lots of housing but very little in the way of shopping and infrastructure. Am I correct?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
We did consider Danville and have gone back and forth on that area, but don't feel it's a good fit for us.
However, i am intrigued by the newly adopted educational philosophy at Bate middle School in Danville and their move away from standardized testing. I'm watching to see if other schools in KY follow suit. I'm not a huge fan of Common Core.

We had also considered Versailles for a time, but it just appears there is nothing going on there. Lots of housing but very little in the way of shopping and infrastructure. Am I correct?
Versailles is only twelve miles from Lexington, and is also close to Frankfort, so major shopping can easily be done in those larger communities.

Versailles and Woodford County have all you need for everyday requirements: supermarkets, gas stations, drug stores, good restaurants, hardware stores, a good library, good local history center, gift and antique shops (some better than others), parks, a large nature preserve in the gorgeous Palisades of the Kentucky River, which forms the western boundary of Woodford County, plus the beautifully restored and publicly owned Jack Jouett House (which just hosted its annual "Revolutionary Kids Day" yesterday, with craft demos, reenactors, hands-on activities, traditional music, house tours, and more, all free), an excellent theater, sports facilities, two railroad museums, one with toy trains and the other with real trains, and more. Lots goes in and around Versailles!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM

You make some good points CraigCreek. Now I'm even more unsure. I guess I have several months to do more research...and ask a lot of questions.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Sorry I just noticed this. I wish C-D was like Facebook where I would know when I was tagged in a post!

This is a tough one for several reasons.

To begin with, Fayette Co Public Schools has the entire county up for redistricting. Many people are afraid of losing their good school district. I personally don't think there will be many changes on the SW side of Lexington, but they are not promising anything at this point. The good news is that there really aren't any bad performing schools on this part of town.

Jessamine County would give you a little more space and be close to Harrodsburg, but you might prefer the Lexington schools. There are a ton of neighborhoods in Jessamine County with larger lots. If you could handle the schools, I really like Crosswoods. It is just barely in Jessamine Co and is 5 minutes from the neighborhoods you mentioned liking for their location. It is older though, so it might be tough if move in ready and updated is a must. I currently have clients wanting something similar in Jessamine County and they have not found anything they like yet.

If you don't mind an older house, I like neighborhoods like Westmoreland. The current school district is not stellar-Meadowthorpe Elementary/Leestown/Dunbar. It is out Versailles Road. Close to the airport, so you might hear some planes. Plenty of space as most lots are an acre. It is pretty out there.

Another older neighborhood with big lots is Wellesley Heights. It is currently Rosa Parks/Beaumont/Dunbar. It is just past New Circle Road out Versailles Road.

Versailles might work for location and schools, but it is tough to find something there. Most of my buyers that consider Versailles end up buying in Lexington since there is so little on the market, especially in the $250k and up price range.

There are several neighborhoods in Versailles where you could buy a lot and have a house built. Most will be bigger lots like 5-10 acres. Too big? I've got a builder I represent too if needed.

The $400k price range is really tough. I find there is usually little difference between a $300k house and a $400k house.....and most of our $300-400k houses are just the same models as the $250k house but have a basement. You might get a little more space, have nicer finishes, or be in a slightly better neighborhood, but you don't really feel like you got $100k worth of improvement. Many out of town buyers struggle in this price range because most all of the houses in newer-ish neighborhoods are all pretty similar.

Check out the schools in Jessamine Co. If you are okay with them, I'd look there.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Thank you LEXpert! You gave us a few additional areas to check out.
I also appreciate your comments concerning our price range. We were looking in the $300k range, but not finding anything we liked so increased it to 400 only to find pretty much the same.
I'm still interested in possibly building. I noticed there is a lot of new construction in Versailles, but I'm still not sure on that area. My daughter does competitive cheerleading and i dont see a gym in that area. That is kind of a big deal for her.
We probably won't be back to KY until the first of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area