Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM

89 posts, read 128,612 times

Advertisements

People are fiercely arguing that Louisville is Midwestern in the General U.S. form. If that's the case, what does this make Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times

Oh no! Not this again!
Lexington and the Bluegrass region of Kentucky definitely have a Southern feel.

Kentucky is just South of the Mason Dixon line (Louisville is right on the line across the river from Indiana, and so you get a bit of Midwestern vibe going there)

Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 AM

536 posts, read 961,610 times
That settles the issue!!! Great post, love the maps.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
This is typical of folks who've never lived in Kentucky. Kentucky is, and always will be firmly a southern state. However, it does have influences from the lower midwest due to it's proximity to that region, yet it's still the south. The southern region of the U.S. has a northern border and for the most part I'd say that's the Ohio river where it forms Kentucky's northern border.

Now is Kentucky southern in the sense of the "antibellum" south or "deep south?" Obviously not, no need to argue that however it is part of the interior or "upland south central US" in my opinion.

We have to realize that the south in itself has many distinct sub-regions and trying to generalise and lump the whole region together as a whole is not seeing the bigger picture. Even so the whole region does have many aspects of accent, dialect and general culture that ties the whole region and Kentucky definately fits most if not all of that criteria.

My family all from the Owensboro area of western Kentucky considers themselves southerners in every sense of the word.

I have my own map here of where I think the border between the upland south and lower midwest exists...

Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Lexington is in the Midwest geographically, though there are some aspects of southern culture here.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I view it this way...

Cincinnati is stone cold Midwestern with a lot of Southern transplants

Lexington is stone cold Mid South with a lot of Northern transplants
(Lexington is actually an old Indian word meaning "Land of displaced Ohioans")

If you put Cincy and Lexington in a blender the result is Louisville: a mix of Southern and Midwestern.

Lexington, like all cities, is more standard American and has a lot of transplants from out the region and across the state. The surrounding counties feel totally Southern to me.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Oh yeah... I'm not a big fan of generalized maps that go only by state boundaries, especially based on slavery. The areas of Southern Indiana near Louisville have much more Southern culture than the northern panhandle of West Virginia or most of Maryland.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Oh yeah... I'm not a big fan of generalized maps that go only by state boundaries, especially based on slavery. The areas of Southern Indiana near Louisville have much more Southern culture than the northern panhandle of West Virginia or most of Maryland.
You dont like my map showing where the upper south begins/ends and the deep south begins/ends?

Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
People are fiercely arguing that Louisville is Midwestern in the General U.S. form. If that's the case, what does this make Lexington?
First and foremost, I do not consider Louisville midwestern at all! Secondly, everybody I know considers Louisville to be a southeastern u.s. city. Case closed. For further input, I really consider anything roughly from Bloomington southwards in indiana to be the upland south and not actually midwestern.

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 10-28-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Lexington is in the Midwest geographically, though there are some aspects of southern culture here.
THEN SO IS LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY, SUPPOSEDLY THE GATEWAY TO THE SOUTH; THIS THREAD IS JUST Ludicrous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area