Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times

Advertisements

I know three or four people that live in Griffin Gate (around the Marriott) and though it is a nice subdivision, one of my friend's houses was broken into about a year ago and thus I am a bit concerned about that area still. I'm not saying it's a rough area, but it still has crime like anywhere else in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
I second teebirds thoughts on Griffin Gate. From Newtown Pike it looks nice but what you don't see is the subdivision it backs up to; Winburn. Winburn has historically been a crime ridden area and I would feel very uneasy living in Griffin Gate because of its proximity to Winburn.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,127 times
Thanks for all of the great information. What do you think about Nicholasville? We have found some great houses there and will both be working on the SW side of town. How are the schools in that area and what is the commute time during rushhour?

Thanks again!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
You will be working on the SW side of Lexington or Nicholasville? If SW Lex, your commute won't be horrendous compared to Houston- anywhere from about 20- 50 minutes depending on where in Jessamine County you are going to live. All homes now in Jessamine County sit on 1 acre of land minimum. For those with kids, this is a great thing, but for others the huge yards can be troublesome. In terms of schools, Jessamine County is pretty good, West Jessamine HS probably ranking higher in scores than East Jessamine HS. I really can't tell you about ES or MS there though.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM

218 posts, read 637,153 times
Teebird, your responses are becoming suspect with all your sweeping generalizations and your blinders about areas you think are "dangerous". I, also am a Lexington native with at least 40 more years experience in the 40502 zip code.

I find your statements about driving a bit unnerving when I see that you are "aggressive" and have driven in all those big cities, but only have 1 1/2 years experience tops. Hardly enough time to have driven a great deal in any of those cities. Aggressiveness in teen drivers is the reason that insurance rates are so high for those under 25, but the chances are slim that you are paying for your insurance anyway.

Speaking of paying for things, I also doubt that you are paying for Sayre, so I guess that the value of the classroom size/education is the opinion of your parents, that you have adopted.

I believe that you need to stop looking at areas only for their affluent sections, but as a whole. You don't direct people to "Kenwick" in the 02 zip(kit houses of the 20's and 30's), or the "Montclair" section (off Cooper Dr., post war pre-fab's) that are not that different from the "Meadows" area of the north side that you discount so easily. Some of Lexington's wealthiest families live just blocks from some of the poorest, off North Broadway and have for years.

Jessamine County may have a one acre minimum in the rural area in the northern part of the county, but don't say ALL residential in Nicholasville or Jessamine County are one acre lots, its just not so.

In sum, your views have a decidedly elitist bent to them.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
I like the developments off of Harrodsburg Road toward Nicholasville (in Jessamine). At this point, if the op is working in SW, then I would veto the original thoughts about Andover/Hamburg area.

Yes, teebird definitely gives us our elitist perspective, but he's "good people" - very thoughtful and helpful.

One of my major observations about Lexington is that the drivers just don't seem very magnanimous. Like, when they could just as easily let me merge, they don't. Or when I make a small mistake and it's over and I wave an apology and they could just as easily just let it go, they give out a superfluous honk. But sometimes, that's just part of being new (in my case) and not knowing exactly where I'm going all of the time. But this is not the case, say, in terms of grocery store etiquette, etc. Perplexing but not distressing.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,905 times
just curious....but what is "troublesome" about a huge yard?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
We had 2.5 acres in my old house in Virginia. The lawn took about 6 hours to mow (+ trim, etc.). Our next door neighbors had a tree fall into the back of their house during a storm. We also owned the land backing up to the adjacent road and sometimes in a snowstorm, those trees would fall into the road, and we were responsible, but no one ever called us on that (the county would take care of it).

We had deer eating our plants and vegetable garden and sometimes we would see other animals that could have potentially harmed the neighborhood children.

Don't get me wrong - we *loved* the acreage, but still ... And we could never afford to fence it for our dogs (I would have just fenced a reasonable area behind the house, but my dh wanted to fence the entire thing).

Now I can barely take care of my fifth of an acre - I'm enjoying it, but I go crazy when I see any weed whatsoever.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM

I guess it's what one is used to....we own 42 acres and love the privacy, so it's always difficult for me to imagine why people would want a small yard - to me, the homes around here seem to be on top of one another and I would dislike that. But, I certainly understand that some people don't like the maintenance....that's why there's something for everyone!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I know three or four people that live in Griffin Gate (around the Marriott) and though it is a nice subdivision, one of my friend's houses was broken into about a year ago and thus I am a bit concerned about that area still. I'm not saying it's a rough area, but it still has crime like anywhere else in town.
if it has crime like anywhere else in town, then it shouldn't be any worse to live there than elsewhere.

By the way, here is an interesting site to check crime statistics:

Citizen's Crime Watch Home Page

You can build a map of any area in Lexington and see what the reports are for up to the last six months. You can do a 1/4 mile search comparison on say, Pintail Drive in Griffin Gate, along with Andover Dr and Firebrook Blvd. The Griffin Gate subdivision actually has the lowest number of police reports. If you expand the search area out to a half mile, yes - Winbrook next to Griffin Gate has more reports - but so does Chevy Chase and the Firebrook area when expanded out.
Anyways, it's an interesting site to play around with....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area