U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 AM

528 posts, read 2,275,478 times

Advertisements

there are certainly some areas of town that are rougher than others, no one is denying that. It's the statements that paint with a broad brush - "avoid the north side", and the assumption that everyone moving here wants a 300K home - that some are objecting to. The nice thing about the Lexington is that there seems to be something for everyone. Lots of valuable info on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 AM

820 posts, read 2,640,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
there are certainly some areas of town that are rougher than others, no one is denying that. It's the statements that paint with a broad brush - "avoid the north side", and the assumption that everyone moving here wants a 300K home - that some are objecting to. The nice thing about the Lexington is that there seems to be something for everyone. Lots of valuable info on here!
That's exactly right! For any of us to insinuate or believe that living in an expensive area of Lexington is going to offer a better quality of life is just not correct on many levels. Also, to state a specific school is the best fit is wrong. Each and every school in this city offers something unique. While there are some I wouldn't want my children to go to, I realize that the folks that are there may very well feel that way about other schools. People express opinions on here that are based on individual experiences and none of us should assume that what works for us would work for John Doe moving here from CA.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 PM

76 posts, read 126,816 times
This thread made me chuckle a little because I've found this Lexington board to be one of the most even-handed, thoughtful, kind and generous that I've encountered anywhere. When I do post on boards, which is not often, they tend to be either politics or sports oriented, and there you need either a bullet-proof vest or asbestos overcoat just to get in. This, by contrast, is only warm and welcoming.

By now, I hope, people should understand that the information they receive here and elsewhere on the internet, is subjective. It's one person's point of view. It helps if that point of view is backed up with some data, but even then, it's a subjective interpretation. I read everything I could here, and then bought a home downtown on the "dreaded" northside (we close next week). It's what appeals to me and my wife. On the other hand, after a very short visit to Lexington, we couldn't imagine living in Chevy Chase, but that's just us. It would, and obviously does, suit many people perfectly.

The only thing I would say, again as an outsider (meaning I should be taken with a very big grain of salt), is that Lexington seems to me like an affluent city compared to many other places, especially in the south. People asking for information here may not get that, and long time residents may take that for granted. Many people moving to Lexington may not be able to afford the desired areas and schools, and may need good (meaning unabiased information) about the second and third tier areas.

But all of you, literally all of you, have been helpful.

Al

Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 PM

52 posts, read 142,015 times
When I first started thinking about moving Kentucky, Lexington was on the top of my list. I decided that I couldn't live there because I'm a single woman and can't afford the home prices that have been mentioned on this board so I'm looking to a smaller city. Also, the comments on the traffic problems deterred me.

I've been through Lexington a few times and I always thought it might be a place I'd like to live in the future. However, when I made my exploratory trip in November, I didn't even go there. Believe me, I've done a lot of research on my own but I did take comments on this forum into consideration when making my decision. I'm sure a number of other potential transplants do the same.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:57 PM

218 posts, read 564,671 times
gb lady, you are exactly the type of person that i am trying to reach. When directed to only the affluent areas in town and you check them out(online or in person), you become discouraged and feel that you "can't live here". Also, when you here about "terrible traffic" and "horrible schools", you feel like "I can't do that" or "I can't send my kids there". No one wants to live in a shanty(bottom 20%) and not all can live in a mansion(top 20 %), but that leaves better than half available to the rest of us. Come back and look at the areas that you think you can afford.

Schools?, from my experience(3 kids) the "lesser quality" schools are the ones with the lower levels of parental involvement. Maybe its single moms with two jobs or parents who can't be bothered, parents who aren't involved in their children's education WILL lower their grades.

Traffic?, New residents and visitors who are unfamiliar with the area ARE going to drive slower. The are also going to take the more popular routes. Long time residents will search out the alternative ways to go. Whiners who let their kids play in the street call this "cut thru traffic", but this is why the streets are there. The street in front of your house is not just for YOU to come and go. While I'm think about this, Lexington has had a lot of private streets built in the past 25 years, just to keep others out, only to find that they couldn't pay the upkeep(plowing, cleaning, repair). The end up asking (demanding) the government to take them over, but they still want them to remain theirs.

Oh no! Now i've stayed on my soap box too long. I just want balanced information distributed.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM

52 posts, read 142,015 times
As I've said, I do a lot of research but as I'm in Wisconsin and can't always check out areas personally, I do rely on the information on this forum. Obviously, I read some negative posts and see that the person writing them is not being objective so I disregard them.

I think posters have to be aware that what they say can have a big impact on people's perceptions of different areas of Kentucky. I'm also sure that this is not limited to Kentucky but applies to every state.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,527,033 times
This *is* a super nice message board!

If it would help, maybe we could, as needed, ask posters for a price range - and let them know that everyone is just as happy to help them with a $30,000 house or a $3 million house.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 AM

688 posts, read 2,808,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
If it would help, maybe we could, as needed, ask posters for a price range - and let them know that everyone is just as happy to help them with a $30,000 house or a $3 million house.
I agree!

When people post their wishlists without a price range, I think most of us tend to steer people to the nicest parts of town. Most of the posters desire the best schools in the best area with the lowest crime, active and walkable neighborhoods, etc, but of course these are the areas that demand the highest prices. I know that when I move to a new city, I tend to inquire about the nicest areas, too. Then if I get sticker shock, I move onto something more practical. Realistically, there are plenty of good, affordably priced neighborhoods throughout Lexington - the city offers a lot more than just Chevy Chase. And each area has its positives and negatives - I *try* to point out both from my perspective so that people can have an honest idea of what to expect. For example, I personally do think that traffic is a big issue to consider when moving to Lexington, and some areas are much more affected than others. I also am an educator, and for me schools are a huge issue. Personally, I have a shortlist of about five school districts that I would even consider in Lexington (and I like Fayette schools)...but that's just me and my extreme pickiness coming out. I know quite a few families that don't live in my favorite districts, and they all are happy with their local schools.

Sure, we all have our own unique preferences and biases. Some of us (like me) are transplants, and others are native or long-time residents of the city. I think that both give a unique perspective, and both are very valuable. Native and long-term residents have a fantastic wealth of insider information and knowledge of all of the city. Transplants have a fresh perspective and might see things differently than someone who has lived here a while and takes some things for granted.

So, I would love for everyone to feel welcome to continue to post their honest opinions, and for anyone else to disagree if their experience says otherwise. I know that I have been mistaken about things, and have never received an offensive reply - just someone else pointing out their differing opinion. In return, I've also felt the need to disagree with things that other people have posted...and I've done just that. No personal attacks necessary...just give your own honest feedback.

I'm not perfect, and neither is anyone else here. However, compared to many other boards here, the Lexington board is full of helpful and friendly people from all different walks of life who truly want to help newcomers get the best experience out of their move. If you have questions or disagreements, then say them! The more replies that a poster receives, the more solid knowledge they can build about the city.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM

603 posts, read 2,147,621 times
I've been a teacher at Bryan Station High School for eight years. Frankly, I'm angry that most of your posts refer to BSHS as "a bad school" when no one has even been in the school recently. We haven't had a magnet program for six years and we are in a brand new $43 million facility. Our students hear the same reports that other schools are better and some of them transfer to those schools. Most return to Bryan Station with reports that the teachers at the other schools didn't give the same attention. Yes, our test scores are lower than other high schools but we have students entering our school who cannot read and write on grade level. The teachers at Bryan Station are highly qualified teachers who work hard every day to teach those students. We have AP classes, relevant and rigorous classes, and counselors who are more concerned with students' futures than with what skirts they are wearing. Several of our teachers in the last several years have been named Best High School Teacher in Fayette County. Our BSHS volleyball team for 2006-2007 had the 7th highest combined GPA in the nation and 1st highest in the state (GPA of 4.17). Dunbar was ranked fifth in the state and no other Kentucky school was ranked in the nation's top ten. But don't take my word for it--go visit the school yourself. We often call ourselves "the best kept secret in Fayette County". I am proud to be a teacher at Bryan Station High School.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 AM

218 posts, read 564,671 times
Charz, Thank you for giving a first hand report from the front lines at Bryan Station High School. I firmly believe that all the public high schools in Lexington have good teachers and good programs, but the teachers and staff cannot do it all. The parents have to be involved in the education process. I wonder, does FCPS keep stats on parental involvement? I'm not sure how one would gauge such a stat, but I'm sure that the individual teachers have their own impressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area