Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times

Advertisements

Long story short . . . I grew up in Pennsylvania, moved to Seattle where I lived for 13 years (loved it), and then had to move to Buffalo, NY when I accepted a job offer (I'm a professor).

After 7 years here I decided it was not for me; I hate the long frigid winters, the property/sales/income taxes are high, and it's just rather boring. Plus, besides a few good friends, I have no real other connections here (my family and really good friends are elsewhere).

I've secured employment that is 100% mobile and am doing well (and by that I mean I am enjoying what I do and making "OK" money doing it -- less than I did in my full-time professorship job to be sure), and so I have decided to relocate. My *BIG* criteria are milder Winters, affordability, access to outdoor activities (I love to run and hike and play tennis and swim and kayak among other things), and a decent size city with the accompanying amenities (I'd say a population over 300,000 to a million or so), and a good economy.

I've ruled out Denver (been there and love it) and Austin (never been) primarily because, though they look amazing, they are expensive. I've also ruled out a few other spots.

I visited the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area in October and loved it; it's affordable, there are 4 seasons with short and mild Winters and hot summers (which I also love), a sizable population and amenities, and lots of employment possibilities along with a stable/growing economy (I may eventually look for part-time work).

My good friend has recently come back from Lexington though, and LOVES it, and he thinks I would too. But I have never been there, and wondered how people think it might compare to NC and to my list of criteria?

Thoughts? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,053 times
I seriously just registered on this forum to ask for a comparison between the same two cities, but found this thread on a "search" first. What are the odds?

I am a 28 y.o. male and may have to make a decision between moving from Arlington, VA to Raleigh, NC or Lexington, KY and would love some insight with respect to a comparison between the two cities. I am looking for the same criteria - affordability, mild winters, and warm summer - so I'll just piggy-back onto this thread, I reckon (unless it gets out of control)

Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Well apparently no one has an opinion for us roba2686! LOL!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Hey there and welcome to the Lexington forum!
Lexington is great, I love it here! You can go here to Money Magazine and get a price comparison chart for comparrisons of various cities.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

For instance, Professor you live in Buffalo now -

Here is comparison to Raleigh and Lexington -

And Roba, you live in the Arlington, Va./Washington DC area, this is a price comparison.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 PM

It can get cold and have snow here, but nothing like you would experience in Buffalo. I have never lived in Arlington, but my husband originally came from the Baltimore, Md. area, and he thinks we get mild winters, with not enough snow, lol.
(He seems quite amused that everyone freaks out if they hear the word "snow" on the weather report and run out and buy milk and bread (and enough groceries to last them for three months) just because we are expected to get a few inches of snow.) The Road crews are great here, and a job getting the main roads cleared.

The Summers are pretty hot at times, but no hotter than you would experience in Virginia.
If you like to run, hike and swim - there are many places here to do that. (Lots of parks, fitness trails, and Pools). You can kayak also, but it may mean a drive out of the city.

Raven Run is fabulous.
Link

link

McConnell Springs has some nice hiking trails. Plus there are a lot of city parks with hiking trails and tennis courts.

McConnell Springs

And we are within really short drives to Natural Bridge, The Red River Gorge, Cumberland Falls, the Daniel Boone Forest and so much more.

Maybe someone will come on here, who has lived in the cities you guys have mentioned. (I think the reason you haven't had many comments so far,is because of the Thanksgiving Holiday.)

Old 11-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Default Thank You!

Thanks for the welcome -- I have used Cost of Living Calculators in the past -- they can be very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Hey there and welcome to the Lexington forum!
Lexington is great, I love it here! You can go here to Money Magazine and get a price comparison chart for comparrisons of various cities.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

For instance, Professor you live in Buffalo now -

Here is comparison to Raleigh and Lexington -

And Roba, you live in the Arlington, Va./Washington DC area, this is a price comparison.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Default Thanks . . . again!

Thanks for the great feedback . . . it's very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
It can get cold and have snow here, but nothing like you would experience in Buffalo. I have never lived in Arlington, but my husband originally came from the Baltimore, Md. area, and he thinks we get mild winters, with not enough snow, lol.
(He seems quite amused that everyone freaks out if they hear the word "snow" on the weather report and run out and buy milk and bread (and enough groceries to last them for three months) just because we are expected to get a few inches of snow.) The Road crews are great here, and a job getting the main roads cleared.

The Summers are pretty hot at times, but no hotter than you would experience in Virginia.
If you like to run, hike and swim - there are many places here to do that. (Lots of parks, fitness trails, and Pools). You can kayak also, but it may mean a drive out of the city.

Raven Run is fabulous.
Link

link

McConnell Springs has some nice hiking trails. Plus there are a lot of city parks with hiking trails and tennis courts.

McConnell Springs

And we are within really short drives to Natural Bridge, The Red River Gorge, Cumberland Falls, the Daniel Boone Forest and so much more.

Maybe someone will come on here, who has lived in the cities you guys have mentioned. (I think the reason you haven't had many comments so far,is because of the Thanksgiving Holiday.)

Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 PM

And another great place to take a walk in Lexington.

The Abroretum

Old 11-30-2014, 05:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,053 times
Crazee Cat Lady -

Wow, thank you so much for all of that info, it is very much appreciated! I think that you are right about the low response rate due to the holidays, but I feel like it's also kind of an odd pair of cities to compare. I'm not sure how many people have had a chance to live in both places.

Hopefully we'll get some more feedback but, if not, the information you've provided above certainly helps. Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Default Agreed!

Agreed!

I've not been to Lexington and only visited Raleigh/Durham, and my friend who made the recommendation to me only visited Lexington and has never been to R/D; it seems on the surface that the two areas share a lot of things, like being Southern, likely similar weather, and affordability; though if you look at The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) overall it certainly is larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roba2686 View Post
Crazee Cat Lady -

Wow, thank you so much for all of that info, it is very much appreciated! I think that you are right about the low response rate due to the holidays, but I feel like it's also kind of an odd pair of cities to compare. I'm not sure how many people have had a chance to live in both places.

Hopefully we'll get some more feedback but, if not, the information you've provided above certainly helps. Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area